Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canon, Panasonic or Olympus!

Default Re: Canon, Panasonic or Olympus!

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Oh good lord. Your PC knowledge is zero. You don't need a discrete graphic card with loads of RAM just to reproduce colors accurately! It's all a matter of calibration!! 2 PCs with different monitors, different color profiles will of course show it differently!!
    I admit my pc knowledge is sux and not updated. I did a few prints, a realised the colour on my laptop is different from desktop and the print shop's desktop.
    I didn't say anything about ram of a graphic cards...
    And of course u may argue that colour reproduction for screen and print is different as one is rgb and another cmyk...

The EPL1 and GF1 are not DSLRs, and they use a smaller sensor than a DSLR. If you really want to compare DSLR cameras, you should compare the Canon with Nikon, Sony, Pentax.
    oh no mention of olympus four thirds? so olympus four thirds dslrs are not considered slrs? cos they use same size sensors as micro four thirds... also if im not wrong, canon aps-c slightly smaller sensor compared to aps-c sensors from nikon, sony, pentax (courtesy of wikipedia hee)? hee
    Last edited by tangoinquestion; 12th May 2010 at 02:27 PM.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by tangoinquestion View Post
    oh no mention of olympus four thirds? so olympus four thirds dslrs are not considered slrs? cos they use same size sensors as micro four thirds... also if im not wrong, canon aps-c slightly smaller sensor compared to aps-c sensors from nikon, sony, pentax (courtesy of wikipedia hee)? hee
    Your question is a little hard to understand.Olympus DSLRs are DSLRs,Pen series are pen series...

Quote Originally Posted by cleonbus View Post
    Your question is a little hard to understand.Olympus DSLRs are DSLRs,Pen series are pen series...
    oh, didnt you notice i differentiated between "four thirds" and "micro four thirds"? i was just asking cos he mentioned "and they use a smaller sensor than a DSLR" which i got the impression that sensor size also determines whether one is a dslr or not... which should not be applicable in this case since olympus four thirds dslrs use same sized sensors as the olympus micro four thirds cams...

and the other sentence "compare the Canon with Nikon, Sony, Pentax", no mention of olympus four thirds dslrs heehe
    Last edited by tangoinquestion; 12th May 2010 at 02:35 PM.

oh, didnt you notice i differentiated between "four thirds" and "micro four thirds"? i was just asking cos he mentioned "and they use a smaller sensor than a DSLR" which i got the impression that sensor size also determines whether one is a dslr or not... which should not be applicable in this case since olympus four thirds dslrs use same sized sensors as the olympus micro four thirds cams...

and the other sentence "compare the Canon with Nikon, Sony, Pentax", no mention of olympus four thirds dslrs heehe
    From wiki definition: "A digital single-lens reflex camera (digital SLR or DSLR) is a digital camera that uses a mechanical mirror system and pentaprism to direct light from the lens to an optical viewfinder on the back of the camera."

sensor size is not a factor to determine if a camera is a dslr.
    cameras are not made of tofu

thanks, i suspected the same... which is why i dunno why the sensor size of the micro four thirds (and by extension four thirds since they using same size) is brought up

The EPL1 and GF1 are not DSLRs, and they use a smaller sensor than a DSLR. If you really want to compare DSLR cameras, you should compare the Canon with Nikon, Sony, Pentax.
    Not totally correct as the Oly & Panny(if you still can get them) DSLR also use the same 4/3 sensor size as the micro 4/3. Agree?

Of course Olympus counts. But their marketshare is so small it's almost negligible.
    Alpha

Because the marketshare is too small to matter already.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    Not totally correct as the Oly & Panny(if you still can get them) DSLR also use the same 4/3 sensor size as the micro 4/3. Agree?
    Ok, since most people seem to not understand the context...

That sentence is broken into 2 segments.

1: EPL1 and GF1 are not DSLRs.
    2: They use a smaller sensor than the Canon and most DSLR models. (note the "most").

All clear now?
    Alpha

2: They use a smaller sensor than the Canon and most DSLR models. (note the "most").

All clear now?
    Clearer now... with the word most. Even if the market share for Panny & Oly is not as big as the big boys, let not discount them. Agree?
    Last edited by Anson; 12th May 2010 at 07:32 PM.

Here's a new contender for you:

Sony NEX-5:
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/NEX5/NEX5A.HTM
    Oooohhh!! Love the design!! And the lens comes with hood! Tilt lcd screen. Sleek and damn slim. However the hotshoe looks a bit diff leh Not sure can mount our normal flash. Itll look damn funny lah!

Yeay! I realised I am finally a 'member'!! No longer 'new member'! Hehe. Sorry TS, guys don't mean to disrupt. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Shahrie View Post
    Oooohhh!! Love the design!! And the lens comes with hood! Tilt lcd screen. Sleek and damn slim. However the hotshoe looks a bit diff leh Not sure can mount our normal flash. Itll look damn funny lah!
    If you read a little further: The website says Non-standard flash connection under pros and cons. Which means it will not take normal hotshoe flashes. I think the camera itself looks a bit funny.

Because the marketshare is too small to matter already.
    actually olympus market share is just slightly higher than pentax... when you include olympus + panasonic market share, then defiinitely greater than pentax... btw, sales of the micro four thirds format is currently tracked under dslr segment

All clear now?
    hmmm, but what is the significance of the 2nd sentence? if we nitpick, then we should also note that canon aps-c sensor is slightly smaller than the aps-c sensor used in nikon, sony, pentax

hmmm, but what is the significance of the 2nd sentence? if we nitpick, then we should also note that canon aps-c sensor is slightly smaller than the aps-c sensor used in nikon, sony, pentax
    The significance is poorer dynamic range and the usual issues with a smaller sensor. Also a 2x crop factor.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Shahrie View Post
    It comes with a flash, but yeah, normal flashes will not fit (and look a bit weird...)
    Alpha

actually olympus market share is just slightly higher than pentax... when you include olympus + panasonic market share, then defiinitely greater than pentax... btw, sales of the micro four thirds format is currently tracked under dslr segment
    m4/3 is tracked under DSLR because the market watchers haven't figured out how to branch it out yet. :P
    Alpha

I'm a canon, panasonic and Olympus lens user. But I won't say which is good and which is bad. If you want to start photography, my advice is to get a sec hand DSLR such as the 400D or the 20D from BNS. Both mentioned camera are good for a beginner. Unless you dun like sec hand stuff then get the 550D.

For me, I started with a canon DSLR. And bought a GF1 and try out panasonic and olympus lenses. But I still find a DSLR better lah. Out of 10DSLR user, 9 still will hands up for an DSLR. In terms of compact, PEN and GF1 Still win.

So make wise decision.

Btw welcome.
    39, 40.5, 46, 49, 52, 55, 58, 62, 67, 72, 77.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast