Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guides for Malacca Trip...

Question Guides for Malacca Trip...

Hi guys...

I'm thinkin to go to Malacca in late Apr or early May... Anyone has a good guide to fully utilise the time at there? Good places to visit and eat...??
    Most likely will be a 3d2n trip..

Time for relaz!!
    hehe... not goin alone

the previous time i went there also 3d2n trip, we kinda screw up the time, so missed out a few spots of the place. if you are going, i would recommend to go during weekend as the Jonker Street night market (like pasar malam) will be open, heard that they only open during weekend nights. quite nice there.

just this suggestion, cos another friend went during weekday and he didn't get to enjoy the weekend there.

enjoy your trip!

3D2N should be enough to take a leisurely stroll around all the famous places, including the museums. My last trip there was 2D1N, and managed to cover Jonker Street during the day and night (Saturday), various museums, temples and churches. One recomendation is the chicken rice ball located near Jonker Street, near to the Christ Church. Need a pic of the chicken rice ball shop, PM me. I took a shot of the place.

One place that I don't recommend is the Portugese Square, cos the food was a bit expensive, and not really Portugese. And probably not much of an atmosphere cos I was there on Sunday afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by A70
    Need a pic of the chicken rice ball shop, PM me. I took a shot of the place.
    For those of U not going...
    Enjoy..

explore the area around the red square. be sure to go all around.

goto loony planet, it's a pub on the way to red square.

go buy the tao sah piah. ermm....red bean paste pastry.

that's all from me.

Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    For those of U not going...
    Enjoy..
    Look like fishballs to me....
    What's inside the chicken rice ball?? Yummy yummy..........

am thinking about going to melaka as well. what's a good hotel to stay in? was thinking of the one near the beach (century) or equatorial...

Quote Originally Posted by igpenguin
    am thinking about going to melaka as well. what's a good hotel to stay in? was thinking of the one near the beach (century) or equatorial...
    thinkin of equatorial hotel..
    http://www.equatorial.com/mel/index.html
    Only RM230 per room for weekends..

Quote Originally Posted by Octopuz
    Hi guys...

I'm thinkin to go to Malacca in late Apr or early May... Anyone has a good guide to fully utilise the time at there? Good places to visit and eat...??
    Most likely will be a 3d2n trip..

Time for relaz!!
    hehe... not goin alone

Hey, been there at least 3-4 times, I really like the place.

3D2N a bit long, I think can cover the whole thing in one day if you start early and end late. However, if you wanna do intensive shooting (hundred to few hundreds), wanna stroll a bit, VISIT the museums and so on then can take two days, would be enough.

Went with my mom last time, was her guide, we did it in one full day and were on the bus to KL in the afternoon, but it was quite rush. 2D1N would be ideal, if you are not planning to slowly stroll around.

Suggested for photography:

1) A Famosa, the whole area with the ancient buildings and stuff and the merchants

2) The red town and maybe the iguana boy who will let you pose with his iguana

3) Some of the food (rice balls )

4) The River and River houses

5) The other side of the river

6) Maybe the coast there though nothing exceptional

Have a great time!

hmm... how about the seaside? A good place to go??

hi, sorri for hijacking this thread,
    but any idea, how much does it roughy cost to travel to malacca from singapore and then also the cost of the bus to KL from there? (in general is malaysia veru acessible by bus?? say timing and freq. sorri i am ready a frog in the well )

and for those well-travelled in malaysia, how much does a cheap accom roughy cost for a nitz?? What abt safety and stuff, and do they have easily accesible atm that can withdraw through VISA?

Thanks All.

Look like fishballs to me....
    What's inside the chicken rice ball?? Yummy yummy..........
    Hehe, that's just chicken rice, squeezed into balls. The chicken is sold separately.

AReality: Yours is a pic of the food, mine is the pic of the shop, with the name displayed prominently, use it to find the shop, sure can find... Need to find some place to host the shot though...

Jus_a_nick: Prices now for hotel + coach for 2D1N is typically around $88 to $128, as I found out recently. My last trip was much cheaper than that.

Another food recommendation: The ice-kacang along Jonker Street, the chendol with the delicious coconut sugar (Gula Melaka?), cheap and good.

Mind to share some photos of Malacca??

Quote Originally Posted by A70
    Jus_a_nick: Prices now for hotel + coach for 2D1N is typically around $88 to $128, as I found out recently. My last trip was much cheaper than that.

Another food recommendation: The ice-kacang along Jonker Street, the chendol with the delicious coconut sugar (Gula Melaka?), cheap and good.
    thanks for the prompt reply, wao, 88 dollars to malacca, dun sound cheap to me. i would have tot that the coach is coach alone and it less then 30 sing? maybe i am dreaming....bad..

thanks .

Quote Originally Posted by Jus_a_Nick
    but any idea, how much does it roughy cost to travel to malacca from singapore and then also the cost of the bus to KL from there? (in general is malaysia veru acessible by bus?? say timing and freq. sorri i am ready a frog in the well )

and for those well-travelled in malaysia, how much does a cheap accom roughy cost for a nitz?? What abt safety and stuff, and do they have easily accesible atm that can withdraw through VISA?

Thanks All.

I will talk from my personal experience last December.

To go to Malacca:

1) Take the SBS bus (is it 170?) from Kranji or before, all the way to Larkin in JB - You can either pay cash or use Ez Link, very cheap

2) In Larkin buy a bus ticket to Malacca, normally it is very frequent and will be going very fast from the time you reach Larkin, you can choose your time, no problem to have tickets given a normal day - RM8 normally for normal bus (2 rows of two, more ex for one row of two and another row of one spacious bus).

3) Malacca has cheap accomodation, cheap means around RM100 hotels in town. If you are not fussy they should be fine (do a quick online search), they provide everything you need but are three stars. You also have bigger hotels which will charge much more. Not worth it though if great hotels are not in your list of priorities.

Actually you can take a cab for cheap from bus station to any hotel.

Bus trip is 3-4 hours I think.

4) When you reach Malacca buy your tickets for the next day bus trip to KL OR the morning of the day you wanna go off, buy the bus ticket. Think it is around RM12 but as above, got those spacious bus who will sell more ex.

Tickets to KL very easily available (my own experience).

5) KL got back packers places to stay next to bus station (forgot the name of the place)

But you might wanna get a hotel because I heard (but never encountered) not so funny stories about KL safety

Hotels will be above RM100 but they will be good. I stayed there: http://www.kuala-lumpur-hotel.com/grand_seasons.htm
    and was very satisfied. Some more right next to a light rail station!!! Book hotel online for both KL and Malacca, sometimes it is cheaper.

NOTA BENE, there are places where you can stay in Msia for RM8 for one night but you should bring your friends with you, else it might not be that safe.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Jus_a_Nick

Thanks All.

Hi! I am quite a regular traveller to Malacca. Maybe ,this will help, not only you but those who are interested as well.

First, to get there....Buy tickets from Kallang bus station (opp. Singapore Casket) from either Malacca Singapore or Delima coach. About S$11. Travel time is about 4 - 4.5 hrs (incl. 1 stop over at Yong Peng) (Depends on the jam at causeway and time you choose).

Reach there at Malacca at the bus station (Jln Kilang). Bus ticket from there to KL is about Ringgit$7 . ( 2hrs trip).

Accomodation at Malacca ranges from Ringgit $50 - over $100. If you are new there, I suggest you try the shophouses motel at Jonkers street,very paranakan. Good old times. About $80 or more.

KL, try the hotel next the PUDU bus station. Forgot the name but good price at $100 range. Very accessible to all shopping sites and Chi Chiong Gai. Or you can try a even budget ones at the top of the Pudu station.LEss than Ringgit$100.

Food at Malacca: Must try the Peranakan food. Fish curry and Cheng do (From Peranakan restaurant to get authentic flavours).

Satay at Jonkers street with Pineapple sauce.Yum Yum!

As for the Chicken rice ball, rice ball OK, chicken so-so. Singapore better. Try once, can leave it out the next time.

Satay chulup. Like the Singapore Lup lup (Similar) But I was wondering if they ever change their pots cos people keep coming in to share your table and they just refill it. (Jsut don't imagine).

That's what you should try.

Good sites for photoshooting oso....

Tell you guys and gals, I AM GOING TOMORROW !!! GOOD EASTER AT MALACCA> PHOTO SHOOTING...

Mind to share some photos of Malacca??
    Make sure you taste the various Nonya Kueh

Jonker Street, Night Market (Weekends Only)

Giant Sized Paus and Siew Mei

You'll pass by this river on the way to Jonker Street

Visit to the old fort is a must

Don't leave Malacca without dining at one of the Peranakan Restaurants. Most of them serve DELICIOUS Nonya Specialties.
    Last edited by nokin; 9th April 2004 at 03:10 PM.

i agree....dun give the peranakan food a miss...they are delicious!
    I've been onto this interesting street but i can't remember the street name....very interesting. the whole street/ally is lined up with shops engaging in undertaker's stuffs...and at times, you will see funeral rites going on....I'm not sure if they allow photography there...but from such rites, you'll really get to see how close the families are, their cultures, religions, and their beliefs....

hmm... how about the seaside? A good place to go??
    You might want to consider Pantai (Beach) Kundor, Tanjong Kling, which is about 8 miles from Melaka town. If you go there early during a weekday, you will have a long stretch of the beach for yourself. The beach is sandy and there are shady trees that are planted along it. It is also just across a kampong and getting there should not be a problem as it is next to a main road and is also served by a public bus service. I am not so sure about the availability of hotels along the beach but a popular hotel would be the Riviera Beach Resort, which is about 6 miles from Melaka town and itself having a small beach of its own.

Another thing to note; if you need to take a taxi to your place of accomodation and if you are coming by an express bus, do not hire a taxi from the place you alighted from as the drivers would charge you a premium, unless you do mind the hassle of walking a further 200 m with your luggage.

An alternative is to walk away from the express bus terminal towards the main (town) bus terminal. There you would be able to find a row of taxis in front of the Store departmental store. Bargain with the driver on the fare as the taxis are not fixed with meters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast