Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Any Nikon 18-XXmm with fixed aperture and VR?

  1. #1

    Default Any Nikon 18-XXmm with fixed aperture and VR?

    Am kinda looking for a "Do it all" lens with zoom (18 to XX mm), VR and fixed aperture of f2.8.

    Is there anything like that?

    I kinda like the 18-XXmm lenses with VR but they are all f3.5-5.6.

    17-55mm f2.8 also seems nice but no VR.

    24-70mm f2.8 is cool but near $3k and no VR....

    I know VR kinda more useful for longer zooms, but I think it would help me cuz I don't seem to have exceptionally steady hands.

    Is there any nice wide zoom lens (18-24mm to XXmm) with VR and fixed aperture?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Any Nikon 18-XXmm with fixed aperture and VR?

    where to find 'The One' lens which is cheap, good and fast?
    If u happen to find one, let me know too.
    Nikon D90 | 18-200mm VR | 50mm f1.8| Tokina 11-16mm f2.8|Sigma 30mm f1.4 |SB900
    Sony W300

  3. #3

    Default Re: Any Nikon 18-XXmm with fixed aperture and VR?

    Quote Originally Posted by NooberGoober View Post
    .... looking for a "Do it all" lens with zoom (18 to XX mm), VR and fixed aperture of f2.8. Is there anything like that? .... Is there any nice wide zoom lens (18-24mm to XXmm) with VR and fixed aperture?
    You may check up the following 3rd party lenses fulfilling your requirements
    -- Tamron SP AF17-50mm/2.8 XR VC Di II LD Aspherical (IF)
    -- Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM (subjected to availability in Singapore)

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Bkt Timah
    Posts
    190

    Default Re: Any Nikon 18-XXmm with fixed aperture and VR?

    Agree with the above.
    Currently only Tamron and Sigma offers 17~18-50mm f/2.8 with VR.
    Non from nikkor.
    Nikon D90 | Flickr

  5. #5

    Default Re: Any Nikon 18-XXmm with fixed aperture and VR?

    18-200 f2.8 and stabilised...

    the size of the lens barrel alone will make any security man nervous.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Singapore (West)
    Posts
    130

    Default Re: Any Nikon 18-XXmm with fixed aperture and VR?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    18-200 f2.8 and stabilised...

    the size of the lens barrel alone will make any security man nervous.
    Good Joke!

  7. #7

    Default Re: Any Nikon 18-XXmm with fixed aperture and VR?

    actually...if ignore the need for 2.8, i would say the Canon 28-300L is one of the most flexible telephoto zoom around. Is there a Nikon version?
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Any Nikon 18-XXmm with fixed aperture and VR?

    Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    You may check up the following 3rd party lenses fulfilling your requirements
    -- Tamron SP AF17-50mm/2.8 XR VC Di II LD Aspherical (IF)
    -- Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM (subjected to availability in Singapore)
    Thank you, that is most useful.

    Maybe I will sell my D40 kit lens and 35mm F1.8 (since I hardly shoot below 2.8 anyway) and top-up to get the Tamron... one lens to rule them all! (Except for far zoom of course)

    *Add : Wow, almost $1k for the VC 17-50.. quite a lot to top up

    Will prob get it then wait for Nikkor to come out with an AF-S 18-200mm VR f2.8
    Last edited by NooberGoober; 10th May 2010 at 01:10 AM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Any Nikon 18-XXmm with fixed aperture and VR?

    Quote Originally Posted by NooberGoober View Post
    Am kinda looking for a "Do it all" lens with zoom (18 to XX mm), VR and fixed aperture of f2.8.

    Is there anything like that?

    I kinda like the 18-XXmm lenses with VR but they are all f3.5-5.6.

    17-55mm f2.8 also seems nice but no VR.

    24-70mm f2.8 is cool but near $3k and no VR....

    I know VR kinda more useful for longer zooms, but I think it would help me cuz I don't seem to have exceptionally steady hands.

    Is there any nice wide zoom lens (18-24mm to XXmm) with VR and fixed aperture?
    I can only think of the Tamron 17-50/2.8 VC
    and the Nikon 16-35/4 VR (Significantly more expensive! For full frame)

    sorry, my lens knowledge is limited...
    Exploring! :)

  10. #10

    Default Re: Any Nikon 18-XXmm with fixed aperture and VR?

    I quite on about the Tamron liao but read that its super noisy and stuff.... Might have to try out first Cuz not accurate to listen from Youtube!

    Not that it REALLY matters, but sometimes I shoot food (for fun) at quiet restaurants and I guess it would be rude to have an airplane taking off... lol

  11. #11
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Any Nikon 18-XXmm with fixed aperture and VR?

    Quote Originally Posted by NooberGoober View Post
    Am kinda looking for a "Do it all" lens with zoom (18 to XX mm), VR and fixed aperture of f2.8.

    Is there anything like that?

    I kinda like the 18-XXmm lenses with VR but they are all f3.5-5.6.

    17-55mm f2.8 also seems nice but no VR.

    24-70mm f2.8 is cool but near $3k and no VR....

    I know VR kinda more useful for longer zooms, but I think it would help me cuz I don't seem to have exceptionally steady hands.

    Is there any nice wide zoom lens (18-24mm to XXmm) with VR and fixed aperture?
    Yup. The one you are looking for is the Tamron 17-50/2.8 VC. Less than $1k too.

    BTW, if you are using cropped sensor, 24mm is no longer considered "wide"

  12. #12
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Any Nikon 18-XXmm with fixed aperture and VR?

    Quote Originally Posted by NooberGoober View Post
    I quite on about the Tamron liao but read that its super noisy and stuff.... Might have to try out first Cuz not accurate to listen from Youtube!

    Not that it REALLY matters, but sometimes I shoot food (for fun) at quiet restaurants and I guess it would be rude to have an airplane taking off... lol
    It is not that loud la. The beep from the focus confirmation is a lot louder than the Tamron focus sound.

  13. #13
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Any Nikon 18-XXmm with fixed aperture and VR?

    Quote Originally Posted by NooberGoober View Post
    Thank you, that is most useful.

    Maybe I will sell my D40 kit lens and 35mm F1.8 (since I hardly shoot below 2.8 anyway) and top-up to get the Tamron... one lens to rule them all! (Except for far zoom of course)

    *Add : Wow, almost $1k for the VC 17-50.. quite a lot to top up

    Will prob get it then wait for Nikkor to come out with an AF-S 18-200mm VR f2.8
    The point about a F1.8 lens is not to shoot it at 1.8 all the time. Having F1.8 maximum aperture will mean you get the sweet spot around F2 - F2.8. Do you think all F2.8 lenses are sharpest at F2.8?

    And the 18-200/2.8 will NEVER happen. Such a lens will be super complex to build (if even possible), And the lens will be huge, bigger than the 70-200/2.8. And it will be a lot more expensive too. So, super expensive, super big, super heavy - who will buy it?

    If I were cash strapped like you, I would dump th VC. There is really no real need for VC for a fast zoom with that short a focal length. I am using the non-VC version myself.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 10th May 2010 at 11:49 AM.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Numnumball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13,914

    Default Re: Any Nikon 18-XXmm with fixed aperture and VR?

    Quote Originally Posted by NooberGoober View Post
    Am kinda looking for a "Do it all" lens with zoom (18 to XX mm), VR and fixed aperture of f2.8.

    Is there anything like that?

    I kinda like the 18-XXmm lenses with VR but they are all f3.5-5.6.

    17-55mm f2.8 also seems nice but no VR.

    24-70mm f2.8 is cool but near $3k and no VR....

    I know VR kinda more useful for longer zooms, but I think it would help me cuz I don't seem to have exceptionally steady hands.

    Is there any nice wide zoom lens (18-24mm to XXmm) with VR and fixed aperture?
    Nope.. 17-50mm f2.8 comes with VC (Nikon VR equalivent) if u really need VR and fixed aperture
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

  15. #15
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Any Nikon 18-XXmm with fixed aperture and VR?

    Quote Originally Posted by NooberGoober View Post
    I quite on about the Tamron liao but read that its super noisy and stuff.... Might have to try out first Cuz not accurate to listen from Youtube!

    Not that it REALLY matters, but sometimes I shoot food (for fun) at quiet restaurants and I guess it would be rude to have an airplane taking off... lol
    airplane taking off??
    No la... nowhere near as loud. If an airplane took off inside the restaurant, all the glass would shatter!

    I think most restaurant chatter (from fellow patrons) is louder than the Tammy's motor. The photog hears it loudest coz the darn motor is inches from his/her face
    Exploring! :)

  16. #16

    Default Re: Any Nikon 18-XXmm with fixed aperture and VR?

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    The point about a F1.8 lens is not to shoot it at 1.8 all the time. Having F1.8 maximum aperture will mean you get the sweet spot around F2 - F2.8. Do you think all F2.8 lenses are sharpest at F2.8?

    And the 18-200/2.8 will NEVER happen. Such a lens will be super complex to build (if even possible), And the lens will be huge, bigger than the 70-200/2.8. And it will be a lot more expensive too. So, super expensive, super big, super heavy - who will buy it?

    If I were cash strapped like you, I would dump th VC. There is really no real need for VC for a fast zoom with that short a focal length. I am using the non-VC version myself.
    Good points, bro! Thanks for enlightening.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •