Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: need some advice here

  1. #1

    Question need some advice here

    i am thinking of getting a D70 after seeing its good reviews by users here and from dpreview.com. but at least 1 friend recommends other brands, not trying to provoke a fight between nikon and X brand users. he also mentioned to me that X brand's lens are easier to find in a 2nd market as nikon's is somewhat limited ( note this comes from a X user's mouth) ok maybe he wasnt looking...
    i not sure if he mentioned canon's lens are cheaper or not.

    so if i get a d70 now over X's budget cam because it's better then i defn need to buy lenses for it because i am into zoom but when the day comes and i grad towards a more high end DSLR and i jump to X brand, wouldn't it look weird on me? it's not like i change from d70 to d2h for example in 2 years( i know in 2 years there may not be d2h...d4h liaoz)

    i am not saying i will definately jump from nikon, i mean this is just a thought. i may jolly well stick to being a nikonian
    any comments or something ?

  2. #2
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    Feel free to join the Nikon council regular meet ups at Spinelli, there was a crowd today, ranging from D70 to D100, Nikon's exotic 12-24, 17-35, 17-55, 70-200 was all there as well. We do crazy things all the while.

    Back to topic, why do you think it's so easy to find X brand's lens 2nd hand so easily? There must be some issues, that's why it gets hand changed so easily and so many of it... whereas Nikon... oh well you get the picture

    Also I think you're slightly mislead, bodies get changed all the while, but the longer lasting ones are the lenses. Once bought you can use across all the DSLRs, you don't have to worry about compatibility and mount. What's wrong with using a 500/4 with a D70? Nothing to worry there. Even if you get a 70-200VR for the D70, down the road you upgrade to D300, you can still use, nothing much to worry and feel weird.

    I don't understand why you'd want to jump to a X higher DSLR other than Nikon when you already have a Nikon. What does X offers that Nikon doesn't?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    there're generally more 2nd hand Nikon lenses around from my experience (both Hong Kong and Singapore).... but that's before D70 was launched now, the demand is probably much higher and good lenses are snapped up fast.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Feel free to join the Nikon council regular meet ups at Spinelli, there was a crowd today, ranging from D70 to D100, Nikon's exotic 12-24, 17-35, 17-55, 70-200 was all there as well. We do crazy things all the while.

    Back to topic, why do you think it's so easy to find X brand's lens 2nd hand so easily? There must be some issues, that's why it gets hand changed so easily and so many of it... whereas Nikon... oh well you get the picture

    Also I think you're slightly mislead, bodies get changed all the while, but the longer lasting ones are the lenses. Once bought you can use across all the DSLRs, you don't have to worry about compatibility and mount. What's wrong with using a 500/4 with a D70? Nothing to worry there. Even if you get a 70-200VR for the D70, down the road you upgrade to D300, you can still use, nothing much to worry and feel weird.

    I don't understand why you'd want to jump to a X higher DSLR other than Nikon when you already have a Nikon. What does X offers that Nikon doesn't?
    oh. i dont mean there's a sin getting a damn good lens for a d70. the reason why i am hesitating is because d70 is a better entry level than the other1. so it would appeal to me to get it to overcome some technical barriers with my current cam. so what i am afraid is, after a few years when i make the jump to another brand, which some say is better than nikon, then i would make loss frm jumping ship with so many lenses in tow. something like this.

    i know the compatibility of the nikon lenses but there's 1 thing i wanna clarify since u use nikon. is there a diff between the F mount and the err D? mount on D70?

  5. #5

    Default

    i know this is probably understood but nikon lenses seem to be more ex than X's ?
    tmr go download then i see again....in detail....

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Even if you choose the canon 300D, a few years down the road, if you decide to jump camp, what are you going to do with your canon lenses?

    Once you buy into a system, you should really stick to it. That's why you are really not just buying an SLR, you are actually buying into the entire system. The two major manufacturers leapfrog each other all the time, so there will definitely be a time when one brand's offering looks more attractive than the other but rest assured that the situation will be reversed soon in the future.

    The D70 is using the same F-mount introduced with the first Nikon F camera. Thus you can virtually mount any Nikon lens, from manual focus to the latest autofocus lens on all your cameras, though you might loss some functions when you mount MF lenses on the D70. Full compatibility is only ensured in the pro-spec bodies, but you can still mount the lens.

    The D70 comes with a 18-70 DX series lens. The DX series uses the same F-mount but its optically optimised for the APS size digital sensor of Nikon DSLRs, thus you can't really use the DX series lenses on film SLR without some limitations (such as can only use a certain focal length etc).

  7. #7
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by acetylcholine
    oh. i dont mean there's a sin getting a damn good lens for a d70. the reason why i am hesitating is because d70 is a better entry level than the other1. so it would appeal to me to get it to overcome some technical barriers with my current cam. so what i am afraid is, after a few years when i make the jump to another brand, which some say is better than nikon, then i would make loss frm jumping ship with so many lenses in tow. something like this.
    It's not necessarily true that brand X is better than Nikon, after all it's the photographer that makes the difference, look at megaweb, his images are stunning no matter what he uses, D60, Oly 750, Oly E1 etc. And since if you already own so many of Nikon's lenses, why is there a need to jump ship? Which part of Nikon is not good enough?


    Quote Originally Posted by acetylcholine
    i know the compatibility of the nikon lenses but there's 1 thing i wanna clarify since u use nikon. is there a diff between the F mount and the err D? mount on D70?
    Erm... All the DSLR cameras use F-mount, D70 inclusive, there's no F-S mount and such thing like the 18-70 is only usable on D70 and such. That's total crap, 1 mount all fits.



    Quote Originally Posted by acetylcholine
    i know this is probably understood but nikon lenses seem to be more ex than X's ?
    tmr go download then i see again....in detail....
    Actually not very true.

  8. #8

    Default

    Hi acetylcholine,

    You are looking at lens to fit your D70 if you should in the near future buy it in another thread?!?! According to your earlier posts, you do not even have enough cash to get a D70 now. Then why are you looking at lens that cost much more than a D70?! Even thinking of getting better digital bodies and zoom lens??! Or do you mean tele lens?? 200mm, 300mm, 400mm, 600mm?? It's never enough.

    You keep giving me the impression that you have not the slightest idea on any Nikon or SLR technologies. And yet you choose to plunge into a DSLR system without the slightest clue of how the system will work for you with all the money you have saved.

    I would suggest that you get yourself a film SLR camera to try, be it that you borrow from your friend or a cheap 2nd hand which you can sell away later if you choose to. Learn the basics of handling a SLR camera. Know what you need first before spending more money on something that you do not have a clue on.

    And one observation on my side, you are acting a Nikon fanboy when you don't even own a Nikon camera.

    Regards.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UY79
    Hi acetylcholine,

    You are looking at lens to fit your D70 if you should in the near future buy it in another thread?!?! According to your earlier posts, you do not even have enough cash to get a D70 now. Then why are you looking at lens that cost much more than a D70?! Even thinking of getting better digital bodies and zoom lens??! Or do you mean tele lens?? 200mm, 300mm, 400mm, 600mm?? It's never enough.

    You keep giving me the impression that you have not the slightest idea on any Nikon or SLR technologies. And yet you choose to plunge into a DSLR system without the slightest clue of how the system will work for you with all the money you have saved.

    I would suggest that you get yourself a film SLR camera to try, be it that you borrow from your friend or a cheap 2nd hand which you can sell away later if you choose to. Learn the basics of handling a SLR camera. Know what you need first before spending more money on something that you do not have a clue on.

    And one observation on my side, you are acting a Nikon fanboy when you don't even own a Nikon camera.

    Regards.
    oh ...as if u are the expert ?
    i am thinking abt the lenses i might be getting to fit the cat. of pics i wanna take. as if u were born knowing every mm of a nikon. or are u branded with a nikon chop on yr butt ? so what if i dun have a nikon camera ? why cant i say i like nikon and not say i like u ?
    there are some ppl plunge straight into a d70 without any prior camera experience at all. go after them since u are the SLR expert here....woah.....

    for the nikon mounts i was trying to confirm with the rest and find out more, cannot ah ? get lost lah.

    act smart nia...

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore (SengKang)
    Posts
    2,789

    Default

    Getting a better brand doesn't make you a better photographer.
    Get what you can afford and make good use of the equipment.
    No point jumping from one brand to another brand and change the whole system when people say that that is better than what you are having.
    If you have friends who are into photography, perhaps you can get the system that they are using so that you can exchange lenses and accessories if required.
    -Express yourself not in words-
    http://www.majere2sg.com

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Singapore, North Area
    Posts
    507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by majere2sg
    Getting a better brand doesn't make you a better photographer.
    Get what you can afford and make good use of the equipment.
    No point jumping from one brand to another brand and change the whole system when people say that that is better than what you are having.
    If you have friends who are into photography, perhaps you can get the system that they are using so that you can exchange lenses and accessories if required.
    Agreed. Doesn't really matter which system you go into, its all personal preferance. What's more important is the image you produce.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,911

    Default

    Yes it will. But the question I ask is, why jump to brand X when the day comes? Why not stick to a higher end DSLR from Nikon? Brand X may have the lead in higher end DSLRs at the moment, but you can't say what's going to happen 12 or 24 months down the line. Nikon is not a dead company, as evidenced by the fact that the D70 is a far more capable and value for money camera than the Canon 300D, Pentax *ist, or Sigma SD10. They may not have the best high end DSLRs at the moment, but they could very well catch up. And I would also add that unless you became very, very, very good, you're not likely to outgrow the capabilities and potential of any of Nikon's high end DSLRs to begin with.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by acetylcholine
    oh ...as if u are the expert ?
    i am thinking abt the lenses i might be getting to fit the cat. of pics i wanna take. as if u were born knowing every mm of a nikon. or are u branded with a nikon chop on yr butt ? so what if i dun have a nikon camera ? why cant i say i like nikon and not say i like u ?
    there are some ppl plunge straight into a d70 without any prior camera experience at all. go after them since u are the SLR expert here....woah.....

    for the nikon mounts i was trying to confirm with the rest and find out more, cannot ah ? get lost lah.

    act smart nia...

    Taking this sort of attitude when you are given well-intended advice will take you nowhere.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by acetylcholine
    oh ...as if u are the expert ?
    i am thinking abt the lenses i might be getting to fit the cat. of pics i wanna take. as if u were born knowing every mm of a nikon. or are u branded with a nikon chop on yr butt ? so what if i dun have a nikon camera ? why cant i say i like nikon and not say i like u ?
    there are some ppl plunge straight into a d70 without any prior camera experience at all. go after them since u are the SLR expert here....woah.....

    for the nikon mounts i was trying to confirm with the rest and find out more, cannot ah ? get lost lah.

    act smart nia...
    Hi acetylcholine,

    Mind your words. That's all I'm going to say to you.

    Regards

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •