Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are you a fan of HDRI?

Default Re: Are you a fan of HDRI?

Go get Sony A550,
    it beats all theory about HDR you've ever found

EOS 1DMarkIV,
    Xwife : EOS40D, 5D, 5DMarkII, 7D, SonyA900 | seXytoys :EOS 400D, 450D, 500D, SonyA550

Great examples arjunsinha. Thanks for sharing them.

I don't know how many hv seen posts like this "I am a newbie and am interested in HDR so I bought a DSLR to learn" etc....

too many a time, new users associate HDR as an effect to make photos look like a painting
    but nv wonder why it's called High Dynamic Range...LOL for that...
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

Quote Originally Posted by hazmee View Post
    From my observation over the past couple of years, I see a lot of people nowadays just hantam buta (anyhow whack) and associate everything they see as HDR. What's worse is people seem to relate all these flaws with HDR.

I don't think one needs to be a fan to appreciate it. If its done properly, it will still look like a normal photo. I think night86mare has shown excellent examples of how HDR is applied and executed well. What really irks me a lot is when people don't understand the concept and technique, anyhow whack then blame the method when things go south. Some go to the extend of calling it art but to each his own. I shall not go there.

I came to the conclusion that if you understand its purpose, used with the right intent and with proper educated guess, I am sure it does not matter whether its HDR or not. Cheers!
    Yes agree 100%.
    We are just try to pack in the maximum level of tone that media can display.
    ie. B/W or colour print Max D 2.4 = 1 : 251 of contrast ratio
    video display monitor depand on spec can be 1 : 2000 to 10000 (However most of us is using 24 bit colour card, so how you can view any contrast ration more then 256 level? )

night86mare pic simply pack the bright sky / ground / dark shadow all in the 256 tone level, Dynamic Range is the same, hardware is the same, but the eyes of the phogographer is HDR.

Today = HDR, Yesterday = Zone System.

Aiya, forgot about the slide. NVM

i want to learn how to create HDR... but I cannot understand the instruction hahaha... anyone has a simple to understand one to share??

HDR is ok as long as it's not overdone or being used to cover up bad photos
    Blood is Red for a reason. Liverpool for life.

Quote Originally Posted by ovaltinemilo View Post

too many a time, new users associate HDR as an effect to make photos look like a painting
    but nv wonder why it's called High Dynamic Range...LOL for that...
    May be he is a painting artist ? Definitely he would prefer painting look ...

I prefer the natural look :

but most of the time the urge for anime is hard to resist :

I appreciate HDR as a tool to get even exposures. Imagine you're somewhere in mid-day and you just have to take this shot but you don't have any CPL or GND filters, the skys are just too bright, what are you going to do? Either you get a blown sky or a dark foreground, not always what you desired.

I've installed both Photomatix and Dynamic Photo HDR. However, most of the time I use Photoshop CS3's Automated "Merge to HDR" function. It works very well.
    Last edited by Override2Zion; 14th May 2010 at 10:53 PM.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

Quote Originally Posted by kutten View Post
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/denemiles/4028191679/

Is this one looks fake to you too ?
    can be better done by
    - darkening the foreground red house on the right,
    - not darkening the underside of the clouds by so much.
    - correct slanted horizon.

by the way, is that shot by you?
    just my 2 cents.

Since we're on topic about HDR images,

I notice that image noise becomes a very serious problem especially when increasing the Strength parameter (which you naturally want to keep as high as possible), or when using single exposures to generate your bracketed shots (which is unavoidable in many circumstances, especially when your camera is not tripod mounted or when taking moving subjects)

Anyone here got any recommendations of good, straightforward noise reduction software which do the job at minimal loss of detail? On my image editor, images go soft (viewed at 100% of course) quite quickly when NR is applied. And it becomes impossible to remove noise beyond a limited amount

Here are 3 of my most recent images from Beijing which have varying degrees of this problem. All were generated from single exposures. I tried and tried to reduce noise but to no avail. Workarounds in tone mapping such as strength reduction, increased micro smoothing, increased shadow clipping etc, all detracted from the way i wanted my images to look. I've seen pro-level HDRs online which easily handle much greater strength values and still look 100% noise free (the one that night86mare posted with the pier, beach, and sun in the clouds for example) which gives me the impression there is some hidden secret somewhere when it comes to NR with HDR. I have Noise Ninja installed too but am completely clueless as to how to use it. Either that or i'm doing something wrong in tonemapping (probably both). Hoping i can pick up some tips here.

Last edited by blackreplica; 17th May 2010 at 01:34 AM.

I love photos made with HDR when they aren't overdone. I hope everyone realises the use of HDR techniques does not miraculously transform a photograph with mediocre composition to an excellent one. HDRI is just a tool to enhance the lost details in an image. It doesn't save a photo with bad composition.

Some of my photos where HDR was used:

from the photos posted, it seems HDR processing really lies in the eyes of their users ..

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    from the photos posted, it seems HDR processing really lies in the eyes of their users ..
    Most importantly, their understanding of how light and exposure works.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12