Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sorry ... no photography allowed of our dishes here...

Default Re: Sorry ... no photography allowed of our dishes here...

Quote Originally Posted by dingaroo View Post
    They are afraid you might be planning to bomb their food! That's why they are paranoid about it!

Cheers
    No offence or anything but I will be extremely careful about statement such as this even if even if spoken in jeer, just be careful of possible retaliation in the form of a defamation lawsuit or worst, a police report in the presence of a public threat, from the bosses as you never know if they might be observing this thread.
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 8th May 2010 at 05:09 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Quote Originally Posted by ovaltinemilo View Post
    this might be the same issue that the dessert shop at East coast had...food blogger went to try and felt it wasn't nice and gave her frank opinion in which the management felt was diminishing...thus, they even wanted to sue the blogger and wanted to prohibit photography of their food...

In my frank opinion, the restaurant's standard of food might not be ready for critique, moreover, competition.
    Wow... Where and what's the name of this dessert stall? Any URL showing this squabble?

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    No offence or anything but I will be extremely careful about statement such as this even if even if spoken in jeer, just be careful of possible retaliation in the form of a defamation lawsuit or worst, a police report in the presence of a public threat, from the bosses as you never know if they might be observing this thread.
    yah just share experiences will do.

You are paying for the food.. be it you eat it or do anything to it they got no rights to stop it.. But they can disallow photography in their restaurant..

Thumbs down Re: Sorry ... no photography allowed of our dishes here...

Maybe their reason is to protect customers privacy? Becareful there maybe some under ground society BOSSES! The shop maybe protect your safety as you maybe accidentally take some transaction photos.
    Haha, I was kidding. I think that is shop policy, there is no right or wrong of that. What consumer can do is let others knows the incident, and we choose to visit or ban the shop. For example, Tiger Airline changed my air ticket timing without my approval, they just sent a confirmation email only!!! I shout, I scream in phone also useless... Just to let everyone know how Tiger Air operate their business. For me, this is my last purchase Tiger Air! If going out with friends, I will stop all of them to buy from it also.
    Sony~ A100...A700...A300...NEX...A580.
    Fujifilm~ X-T1

Have not been to that restaurant for a long while but last year I believe I was there with DSLR also... no problem. Maybe new captain?

Sometimes I find it's the new people who give the most problem. Two weeks ago I tried taking a picture of fountain downstairs my office, guard came and confront me. Having worked there for 9 years, I asked him if that was new management order or what? After a few words exchanged, he got scared keep saying, me go to management office... he only there for one week. *slaps forehead* so he new and not clear, I the one need to go management office to clear for him arh?

then tell the guy, since your restaurant dun want their food to be seen, take pics out of their menu and their website then..
    蓮花仙子

I was there with my family last year, was snapping away with my 400D and 50 1.8. Maybe because my gear not pro enough so they didn't stop me

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Have not been to that restaurant for a long while but last year I believe I was there with DSLR also... no problem. Maybe new captain?

Sometimes I find it's the new people who give the most problem.
    It is a human condition. This thing is psychological.
    It is quite normal.
    Presuming if the rule is not company policy laid down by the owners/management, it may be something the (new ?)restaurant manager wanted to impose.

Maybe he wanted to demonstrate his power.
    He wanted to demonstrate it to the waitresses/waiters in the restaurant.

Lowly placed security guards love to do that too.
    They get carried away with the little authority vested in them.

Usually these jerks will observe and pick their targets for bullying carefully.
    Obviously the restaurant manager sized up the thread starter and wrote him off as a nobody whom he can easily bully.

Sometimes they pick their victims for bullying wrongly.

Long ago one fool stopped a lady from breast feeding her baby and they got hell soon after.
    She turned out to be a powerful and well connected lady doctor.
    A large group of powerful women went there to breast feed, as a demonstration.
    The management of the place got to apologise.

So if you wish to test a person's quality, give him or her a little authority and then stand back and observe if they abuse it. It is pretty revealing.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 9th May 2010 at 11:19 AM.

the shop name already give you some idea on how they operate lao " 黑社會" .... what more you asking for ???? LoL

Hi TS, I guess you may have encountered this the first time

For me, I used to take photos of food in a restaurant for blogging, so I encountered quite alot of such situations you' mentioned in your first post. You'll get used to it ^_^

Personally, it's really down to ethics. If you are really shooting a family photo, just highlight it to the staff who approaches you what you're doing, acknowledge what they told you, and continue. If you want to take food, and lie to the staff, you can do so too, other than advising you, they can't do anything more. They'd not want to enrage a customer in the restaurant to the point of shouting at each other

Last but not least, if you wish to avoid such situation, you can ask the restaurant staffs permission beforehand (eg. during booking of slots in the restaurant, asking them on the house rules for camera).
    また再建しましょう~ ^_^

i went there once with a M4/3 EP2, they also stopped me from shooting the food, saying photography of the food is not allowed. When i asked if i can take pics of my friend and the restaurant, the answer was yes. And they didn't stop me from shooting the restaurant or the bar counter/waiters etc.

looks like the concern is only about the food, which i think is reasonable provided they tell the customer in a polite manner, which they did so to me.

Even in London, if you go to one of the more up-market restaurants by Alan Yau, they also disallow photography of both the food and the decor of the place.
    A7R3|V12|V15|FE28|MS17|MS35|MS50|50lux|50C|50Artis an|FD85L|FE85|90 cron|
    Σ24|35L|Σ50|135L|70-200G2

just to add, the food was quite nice, so i will still go to the restaurant, even with the photography restrictions.
    A7R3|V12|V15|FE28|MS17|MS35|MS50|50lux|50C|50Artis an|FD85L|FE85|90 cron|
    Σ24|35L|Σ50|135L|70-200G2

Quote Originally Posted by Pauche View Post
    actually i just dont understand what's the rationale behind 'no photography here', be it at a restaurant, shopping mall, or any private buildings/condos???
    in case someone take photo to copy the design / layout

even when shooting in food court, I also need to get the food court for permission, and the condition is i am only allowed to shoot the food for my client WITHOUT using the plate/bowl from the food court. Also, my photo must not show the table, chair, design, layout of the food court

Quote Originally Posted by Wai View Post
    in case someone take photo to copy the design / layout

even when shooting in food court, I also need to get the food court for permission, and the condition is i am only allowed to shoot the food for my client WITHOUT using the plate/bowl from the food court. Also, my photo must not show the table, chair, design, layout of the food court
    hi wai,

i understand the rationale, but i think this is seriously a bit too overzealous.

if i am a competitor, i won't ask a photographer to take pictures, neither would i take pictures, if i knew that this was happening. all i need to do is go there, and remember.

Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon View Post
    first time i am hearing this!!! their food so nice they scared you copy their presentation???

anyway, i hope he didn't spoil your mood. what a kill joy.
    or may be they scare the photograph turns out bad (due to the poor lighting condition) and damage the restaurant reputation?

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    if i am a competitor, i won't ask a photographer to take pictures, neither would i take pictures, if i knew that this was happening. all i need to do is go there, and remember.
    It is like why taking photo in MRT with P&S is ok, but not when using big DSLR?

A terrorist will probably use P&S or even spy camera to make himself less visible rather than using DSLR

Quote Originally Posted by Wai View Post
    It is like why taking photo in MRT with P&S is ok, but not when using big DSLR?

A terrorist will probably use P&S or even spy camera to make himself less visible rather than using DSLR
    that is also true, when you think about it.

two wrongs do not make a right.

besides, if i am outside the restaurant, i have every right to use a telephoto to look into the restaurant. if i am mad enough, i could do a gigapixel panorama

I never asked for any permission when i took a pic of the food that i was about to tuck in. It was an indian restaurant in Little India. Was worried that the staff might not be happy but apparently no one stopped me or complained about it, despite using the flash which is so obvious. Glad i took that shot cos' the food just made me drool everytime i looked at it...

Quote Originally Posted by jwanderer View Post
    I never asked for any permission when i took a pic of the food that i was about to tuck in. It was an indian restaurant in Little India. Was worried that the staff might not be happy but apparently no one stopped me or complained about it, despite using the flash which is so obvious. Glad i took that shot cos' the food just made me drool everytime i looked at it...
    As much as I know, Indian friends loove to take photos...
    It nv occurred to me they will mind...and so far, none did...
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast