Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sorry ... no photography allowed of our dishes here...

Default Re: Sorry ... no photography allowed of our dishes here...

This is not unheard of in Malaysia. Some of the Chinese-run family restaurants there don't allow take-away orders, to protect their "intellectual property".

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    not bad not bad. u got a bright future
    At first I didn't get what he said, but you certainly jingled my bells! Good catch!

Now, I know which one already - passed them a thousand times but never bothered entering that joint... dunno I just feel that they are trying to make a "statement" more than promoting the food they serve!

Quote Originally Posted by guitarboutique View Post
    i dont want to do any naming here ... but I definately won't recommend my BOSSES to eat there.
    Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    thanks. i will avoid that restaurant in the future and tell people i knw abt this.
    flipfreak is one of your BOSSES, righT?

If this happen to me, this is what I'll do:

Since can take picture but not the food, ask them to remove the food from the table so that I can take my photo. After I took my photo, ask them put the food back nicely on the table and thank them. I'll most likely take ........... oh, maybe 6 photos at different intervals through out my meal
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

If you are using a compact camera, I guess the situation will be different.
    Canon 7D with 15-85mm

Quote Originally Posted by cks2k2 View Post
    This is not unheard of in Malaysia. Some of the Chinese-run family restaurants there don't allow take-away orders, to protect their "intellectual property".
    The first result:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=&oq=&gs_rfai=
    Canon 7D with 15-85mm

Any one of you encountered such experiences?

boy was i pissed off.... firstly i was in my seat and leaning back trying to get everyone into the frame.
    1. Why are you afraid to name the restaurant?
    2. Did you ask the manager was it his own idea to prevent you or was it his management's instructions?
    3. Was it not clear that you were taking a shot of family gathering for the memory?
    4. Would it be different if you were a Caucasian in expensive suit?
    5. Would a small compact be less threatening to them?
    6. Did you remember to ask for the name of the manager who stopped you? You must. Next time do it. Ask for full name. Write it down in his/her presence so you don't forget. If asked, tell him why you want to do so. He may also ask for your full name in return. Fair is fair. Give your full name to the restaurant manager.
    7. Don't raise your voice. Be polite. After taking the name, pay up and leave immediately - don't touch or eat the food anymore.

It may indeed be company policy. In that case respect their policy. It does not matter what is their reason.
    Do the public and also the restaurant a favour - name the restaurant and recount your experience. Stick STRICTLY to the FACTS. Don't add anything emotional or colourful. Keep it short. Get your lawyer to vet it first. Serious.
    Then when your lawyer says it is ok, post it in ALL local food blogs and also the Straits Times, Today on-line, Stomp, Berita Harian and local Tamil newspapers. Send in English. They will translate for you.

In this way, it is a win-win solution.

The restaurant which has a strict policy not to allow diners to take family gathering photos for the memory (not ultra close up photos of the dishes). The restaurant is happy not to have such diners.

The public who had intentions to eat and take family gathering photos there will know that they are not allowed to, they can scratch all plans and go to another restaurant. They are happy.

Everybody is happy.
    It is win-win.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 8th May 2010 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    2. Did you ask the manager was it his own idea to prevent you or was it his management's instructions?
    3. Was it not clear that you were taking a shot of family gathering for the memory?
    6. Did you remember to ask for the name of the manager who stopped you? You must. Next time do it. Ask for full name. Write it down in his/her presence so you don't forget. Tell him why you want to do so. He may also ask for your full name in return. Fair is fair. Give your full name to the restaurant manager.
    7. Don't raise your voice. Be polite. After taking the name, pay up and leave immediately - don't touch or eat the food anymore.

It may indeed be company policy. In that case respect their policy. It does not matter what is their reason.
    Do the public and also the restaurant a favour - name the restaurant and recount your experience. Stick STRICTLY to the FACTS. Don't add anything emotional or colourful. Keep it short. Get your lawyer to vet it first. Serious.
    Then when your lawyer says it is ok, post it in ALL local food blogs and also the Straits Times, Today on-line and Stomp.

The restaurant will not get anymore diners who go there to eat and expect to take photos - which is strictly against their policy. They are happy.

The public who had intentions to eat and take family gathering photos there will know that they are not allowed to, they can scratch all plans and go to another restaurant. They are happy.

Everybody is happy.
    It is win-win.
    well said
    Canon 7D with 15-85mm

Oh, that place.... Only been there twice, food so so only. The last time I go was 2009 CNY with friends, shoot so many shots with my DSLR. Luckily no one stop us, because we wouldn't be kind to that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    6. Did you remember to ask for the name of the manager who stopped you? You must. Next time do it. Ask for full name. Write it down in his/her presence so you don't forget. If asked, tell him why you want to do so. He may also ask for your full name in return. Fair is fair. Give your full name to the restaurant manager.

Then when your lawyer says it is ok, post it in ALL local food blogs and also the Straits Times, Today on-line, Stomp, Berita Harian and local Tamil newspapers. Send in English. They will translate for you.

The restaurant which has a strict policy not to allow diners to take family gathering photos for the memory (not ultra close up photos of the dishes). The restaurant is happy not to have such diners.

Everybody is happy.
    It is win-win.
    Very good diplomatic SOP.

i think i know which resturant you are talking about ...
    is it BOSSES restuarant ... the black concept restuarant
    i have BAD experience with them ... they shld at least politely tell me no photography of food instead they put the hand directly infront of my lens ...

@ricohflex : haha .... No need to take it to such extremes for me lah ... No money to hire lawyer also. But yr post can serve as a good guide for anyone who experience such encounters in the future. I think I would have been ok if they had asked properly instead of making an assumption. Nobody likes to be accused of anything which they are innocent of. The service is actually generally ok except for my own dent. Anyway, just to share my experience. Others might have positive experiences instead.

Have a good weekend all.

Quote Originally Posted by o0darkn3ss0o View Post
    i think i know which resturant you are talking about ...
    is it BOSSES restuarant ... the black concept restuarant
    i have BAD experience with them ... they shld at least politely tell me no photography of food instead they put the hand directly infront of my lens ...
    Wah, if this happen to me, I will make a scene and emo him on the spot.

I will boycott this shop from today onward.
    Last edited by Leong23; 8th May 2010 at 01:26 PM.

Sounds like a really small issue. I'd just keep my camera and enjoy the meal assuming I was approached in a decently polite manner.
    Last edited by Cartman2000; 8th May 2010 at 01:42 PM.

oh... so far i have not encounter this problem elsewhere. I love taking photos of food i eat, so i guess i will avoid the places that doesnt allow that (unless the food is a treat or ultimately delicious)

Better not do anything funny. They don't call themselves 黑社會 for nothing...
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

Any one of you encountered such experiences?

Just want to share an encounter i had today at a restaurant at vivocity. was having a family meal to celebrate a family occasion along with Mother's Day. Brought my dslr camera along and had my UWA len on it. When the food came, i wanted to take a frame on the entire table with my other family members in it. was composing in the viewfinder and adjusting the settings when i suddenly heard a voice saying "Sorry ... no photography allowed of our dishes here..." i turned around and it was one of the restaurant captains or whoever he was telling me this. i told him i was not taking any specific pictures of any dishes but was trying to take a picture of the entire table. he then replied not allowed also. i replied back even taking pictures of my own family also not allowed here? he then replied if family members yes can. i then asked him that if you want to check my pictures whether i got take any specific food pictures, i could definately show him what i took. he then declined and quickly walked off.

boy was i pissed off.... firstly i was in my seat and leaning back trying to get everyone into the frame. I wasnt doing anything obvious like trying to zoom in into any food or what. secondly, he could have asked me whether i'm taking any specific close up of their dishes instead of assuming that. Do you assume that every customer that whips out a DSLR will take pictures of your dishes?

anyway, just to rant things off here lah. of course, i took a couple more frames after that but not too much. dont want to waste my shutter counts on such a place.
    Next time someone visit this restaurant, bring along a notebook with mobile broadband connection. Then show the manager this page and ask them how the hell this guy manage to take so many photos there without any one stopping him?

http://belyl.wordpress.com/2008/02/2...%83-vivo-city/
    Last edited by CS TAN; 8th May 2010 at 02:08 PM.
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

Quote Originally Posted by CS TAN View Post
    Next time someone visit this restaurant, bring along a notebook with mobile broadband connection. Then show the manager this page and ask them how the hell this guy manage to take so many photos there without any one stopping him?

http://belyl.wordpress.com/2008/02/2...%83-vivo-city/
    Lol, taken last year, no one bothered about me.

this might be the same issue that the dessert shop at East coast had...food blogger went to try and felt it wasn't nice and gave her frank opinion in which the management felt was diminishing...thus, they even wanted to sue the blogger and wanted to prohibit photography of their food...

In my frank opinion, the restaurant's standard of food might not be ready for critique, moreover, competition.
    Last edited by ovaltinemilo; 8th May 2010 at 02:50 PM.
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

They are afraid you might be planning to bomb their food! That's why they are paranoid about it!

Cheers
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast