Thread: Sony InfoLitium batteries, innovation? I will not buy another Sony product again!!

Angry Sony InfoLitium batteries, innovation? I will not buy another Sony product again!!

I have two InfoLithium batteries that came with my VideoCam. One of them suddenly fail after less than 20 charges because of the stupid chip in the battery. Call up Sony service center and they say batteries are accessories and are not covered under warranty.

But these are no ordinary batteries.... they are infolithium which cost over $100. What is the point of planting a chip in a battery if it causes the supposingly reliable passive component to become less reliable?

The worse thing is that we are not given a choice to use non-infolithium on their device!!!

This incident cause me to wonder what is the logic behind this stupid infolithium? Create a technology that reduce the reliablity of a component and charges consumer SO MUCH MORE!

Imagine, with the price of 1 infolithium battery, one can get 2-4 normal recahrgable Li-ion batteries which will last 2-4 times longer in the same device. We are paying so much more just to know how much longer the infolithium will last in mins? (Not forgeting the feature also causes your battery to be less reliable!)

SONY! DON'T TREAT YOUR CONSUMERS AS DUMB FOOLS!!!

norm i get 3rd party batteries

That's why I nv like or support sony! My cybershot P1's battery becomes dead only after like 15 charges! damn sony!

hope mine dont go dead! are the 3rd party ones reliable? where to find them?

RuthBaby, where did you get 3rd party battery from? I am looking for them now. Any idea how much does a 3rd party NP-FM50 equivalent cost?

Thanks!

same tactic they used with their memory stick

u can try east gear.. he shd sell

those big fat litum batteries shd cost than 50 bucks

after 2 yrs... im still using them

I called eastgear but they don't sell Saw many 3rd party options in ebay but don't feel safe getting them through internet.

Any other options?

Anyone else can help?

sim lim sq alot man!
    LOL
    maybe alan foto have..
    i got mine from SLS.. 2nd level beside escalator

Thanks, I will go down to check in the next two days.

Quote Originally Posted by cp4500
    I have two InfoLithium batteries that came with my VideoCam. One of them suddenly fail after less than 20 charges because of the stupid chip in the battery. Call up Sony service center and they say batteries are accessories and are not covered under warranty.

But these are no ordinary batteries.... they are infolithium which cost over $100. What is the point of planting a chip in a battery if it causes the supposingly reliable passive component to become less reliable?

The worse thing is that we are not given a choice to use non-infolithium on their device!!!

This incident cause me to wonder what is the logic behind this stupid infolithium? Create a technology that reduce the reliablity of a component and charges consumer SO MUCH MORE!

Imagine, with the price of 1 infolithium battery, one can get 2-4 normal recahrgable Li-ion batteries which will last 2-4 times longer in the same device. We are paying so much more just to know how much longer the infolithium will last in mins? (Not forgeting the feature also causes your battery to be less reliable!)

SONY! DON'T TREAT YOUR CONSUMERS AS DUMB FOOLS!!!
    you seem so sure that its because of the info chip... i have 3 year old info lithiums that still give me 400min on the dv cam...

just bad luck dude. dont slam sony, they make good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by showtime
    you seem so sure that its because of the info chip... i have 3 year old info lithiums that still give me 400min on the dv cam...

just bad luck dude. dont slam sony, they make good stuff.
    I send my dv with the dead battery to their service center for verification. They are the one who confirm is the chip in the battery that is bad.

I know part of it is bad luck but still I find it totally unacceptable to pay 100 over bucks for a unreliable battery that doesn't come with any warranty (even eastgear can provide 6 mths 1 to 1 exchange on their OEM battery at less than 1/2 the price SONY charges).

I would not have complain if they charge their batteries at more reasonable price like $30-$40.