Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: iMac does not recognise Nikon D700

  1. #1

    Default iMac does not recognise Nikon D700

    Hello,

    Please bear with me. I am a new Apple user.

    I have the latest 27inch iMac running latest snow Leopard. I tried to plug in my D700 via the USB port, turned the camera on and I don't see anything on the screen. On a Windows which I am farmiliar with, I get a pop-up and/or a drive icon indicating the camera.

    How do I copy the files from the D700 into the iMac? The USB port works - I exchanged it with an external drive so the port and cable works.

    thanks for any advise.
    Last edited by syte88; 7th May 2010 at 03:19 PM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: iMac does not recognise Nikon D700

    hi there...i'm a non-mac user...but u still can access the pic with CF card reader
    to continue press hex key , to return to main menu press star

  3. #3

    Default Re: iMac does not recognise Nikon D700

    u need to open iPhoto and ur camera icon will appear on the left panel. try if it works.

  4. #4
    Member Darkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    86

    Default Re: iMac does not recognise Nikon D700

    I use a 24" iMac (predecessor to your 27" unit) and a D700. The iMac will not see your D700 (or any other Nikon DSLR; I also have a D70ir) as an external drive when you plug it in. You need a software to allow you to recognize the camera. I personally use Adobe Bridge which is included in Adobe Photoshop CS4. You can also use Nikon's Capture NX2 or Transfer.

    Oh yeah, iPhoto will work too. Same with Adobe Lightroom 2/3.


    Quote Originally Posted by syte88 View Post
    Hello,

    Please bear with me. I am a new Apple user.

    I have the latest 27inch iMac running latest snow Leopard. I tried to plug in my D700 via the USB port, turned the camera on and I don't see anything on the screen. On a Windows which I am farmiliar with, I get a pop-up and/or a drive icon indicating the camera.

    How do I copy the files from the D700 into the iMac? The USB port works - I exchanged it with an external drive so the port and cable works.

    thanks for any advise.
    Last edited by Darkman; 7th May 2010 at 03:29 PM.

  5. #5

    Default Re: iMac does not recognise Nikon D700

    I always use a CF card reader to transfer. Now on Mac but formerly on windows. In the past, on XP, some of the files cannot be seen by the computer if i plug my D300 direct. card reader gives me no such issues

    That's also why I didn't realise the camera doesn't work if plugged directly to my mac. at least i did not try.

  6. #6
    Member hotwork77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    119'37.70"N 10347'39.19"E
    Posts
    1,353

    Default Re: iMac does not recognise Nikon D700

    Quote Originally Posted by syte88 View Post
    Hello,

    Please bear with me. I am a new Apple user.

    I have the latest 27inch iMac running latest snow Leopard. I tried to plug in my D700 via the USB port, turned the camera on and I don't see anything on the screen. On a Windows which I am farmiliar with, I get a pop-up and/or a drive icon indicating the camera.

    How do I copy the files from the D700 into the iMac? The USB port works - I exchanged it with an external drive so the port and cable works.

    thanks for any advise.
    I also use Mac and D700. Plug in your camera. Turn it on. Run iPhoto or Aperture to retrieve the photos.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

  7. #7

    Default Re: iMac does not recognise Nikon D700

    Thanks all for your replies. I do have iPhoto and CS4 installed but it didn't occur to me to start them and look for the camera icon in there. I used "Finder" and was expecting to see it like a drive icon there, or a camera icon on the desktop.

    I'll go home and try it out tonight. thank you all.

  8. #8
    Member hotwork77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    119'37.70"N 10347'39.19"E
    Posts
    1,353

    Default Re: iMac does not recognise Nikon D700

    Quote Originally Posted by syte88 View Post
    Thanks all for your replies. I do have iPhoto and CS4 installed but it didn't occur to me to start them and look for the camera icon in there. I used "Finder" and was expecting to see it like a drive icon there, or a camera icon on the desktop.

    I'll go home and try it out tonight. thank you all.
    Bro...you ain't running Micro$oft anymore.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

  9. #9

    Default Re: iMac does not recognise Nikon D700

    Quote Originally Posted by hotwork77 View Post
    Bro...you ain't running Micro$oft anymore.
    The term, "it just works" would not be applicable here...

    Just use a card reader, usually much faster.

  10. #10

    Default Re: iMac does not recognise Nikon D700

    Quote Originally Posted by syte88 View Post
    Hello,

    Please bear with me. I am a new Apple user.

    I have the latest 27inch iMac running latest snow Leopard. I tried to plug in my D700 via the USB port, turned the camera on and I don't see anything on the screen. On a Windows which I am farmiliar with, I get a pop-up and/or a drive icon indicating the camera.

    How do I copy the files from the D700 into the iMac? The USB port works - I exchanged it with an external drive so the port and cable works.

    thanks for any advise.
    install the nikon software, nikon transfer, into your mac. the software will pop-up when it detects any nikon camera.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    125'10.16"N 10350'11.01"E
    Posts
    1,052

    Default Re: iMac does not recognise Nikon D700

    How many photographs do you have in your camera? I had over 500 picture and it did not detect my 400D until 5 minutes later.

  12. #12
    Member SurrealDreamWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Outer Limits
    Posts
    1,565

    Default Re: iMac does not recognise Nikon D700

    That's strange... i have no problems plugging my D70-IR and D2H directly into my iMac G5 running on Mac OS Tiger. Regardless of how many photos in the CF card, i can see the 'Nikon' icon on my desktop as fast as with most thumbdrives.

    Just take note that it will not works if you plug your DSLR into the USB port on the Apple's keyboard.

    Just plug into the USB port behind your iMac.
    "There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trials and errors."

  13. #13

    Default Re: iMac does not recognise Nikon D700

    hello all,

    So I am home now and yes, I can import the pictures using Adobe Bridge. But not with iPhoto. This is with a direct connection to the D700.

    But with a CF card reader (Sandisk extreme USB 2.0 reader), I have a icon on my desktop like an external drive and I can see the pictures directly.

    Not with a direct connection to D700 - only Adobe Bridge works.

    strange. thanks to all anyway.

  14. #14

    Default Re: iMac does not recognise Nikon D700

    Quote Originally Posted by syte88 View Post
    hello all,

    So I am home now and yes, I can import the pictures using Adobe Bridge. But not with iPhoto. This is with a direct connection to the D700.

    But with a CF card reader (Sandisk extreme USB 2.0 reader), I have a icon on my desktop like an external drive and I can see the pictures directly.

    Not with a direct connection to D700 - only Adobe Bridge works.

    strange. thanks to all anyway.
    For being a Mac-idiot, I will spare you. And also do take note that Mac does not function LIKE Windows, hence the different names.

    A D700 is a camera, and unless you had specified how should the camera connect to the computer via the menu settings, it connects as a camera by default. And for Windows, you will see the drive in My Computer, BUT with a camera icon, not a removable drive icon.

    When you use the card reader in Windows and Mac, by which you only access the memory card, it comes out as a removable drive, because duh, you are accessing the memory card, not the camera.

    If you have any other problems, please just use the Nikon Transfer software that's included with your D700 if you want to connect by camera directly. It takes less than a min to install.
    C100M2|Schneider Xenon FF Primes

  15. #15

    Default Re: iMac does not recognise Nikon D700

    ok. got it. all making good sense now. thanks.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •