Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What external HDD would u all recommend ?

Default Re: What external HDD would u all recommend ?

Quote Originally Posted by bbbddd View Post
    Which external HDD would u all recommend? and how do u all backup ur photos?
    Do you mean the casing or the HDD inside?

If you want it easy, go get something from Memoryworld at level 4 SLS. They have whole range of 2.5, 3.5, RAID, USB, FW400, FW800, SATA, IDE casings, shockproof, crashproof whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by junliang78 View Post
    Anything external brand Hard disk is just good , unless u pour water on it , burn it , chuck it from a moving vehicle . For that $10 delta how much difference can one expect between the various hard disk brands ?
    Some can be more than $10 difference ....

And for $10 less, you can risk EARLY death of electronics insides ..... or worse, incompatibilities .....

HI guys and gals,

If you scare that ur photo gone in the HDD when crashes, Just Buy a NAS with RAID.

I uses Dlink DNS323, with RAID 1, 2 X 1TB. Just in case one of the HDD kaput.

I recommend WD and Seagate, both HDD is ok and work fine for the pass 3 year.

whats a NAS?

I've had good experiences with Western Digital and Seagate. I always keep 2 copies of all of my stuff just in case!

Quote Originally Posted by bbbddd View Post
    whats a NAS?
    Too long to explain, Pls read HERE

i thought Seagate is the best HDD it broke in just 7 months

and above all i lost all my data ..seagate charges 1200$ for data recovery for 1 TB HDD

so essence is get 2 physical HDD of different makers and yes backup regularly sync too .

and yes keep an online copy mayit be of less resolution ..but keep one you never know ..when ur time go bad
    Personality can open doors, but only character can keep them open

Quote Originally Posted by gsv13 View Post
    i thought Seagate is the best HDD it broke in just 7 months

and above all i lost all my data ..seagate charges 1200$ for data recovery for 1 TB HDD

so essence is get 2 physical HDD of different makers and yes backup regularly sync too .

and yes keep an online copy mayit be of less resolution ..but keep one you never know ..when ur time go bad
    what I can said is "there is no BEST HDD in this world", HDD will fail one day due to wear and tear. Best is to backup if not uses Raid...

$1200 for a recovery...., I can get another lens already.

All hdd manufacturers have their ups and downs. For different periods of time, different manufacturers have had bad batches of HDDs produced. Be it seagate, wd, maxtor, IBM(now defunct) etc. Generally what you would want to look out for is warranty coverage. I've had good expereience with all the brands above. I've had 1 or more of each die on me before (have been playing with computers for more than 10 years now).

I'm currently most impressed with WD's RMA method, and it's covered internationally. I can't speak for the rest currently, as i only have 2 seagates currently (one internal and one external), and they are both just dandy. The only issue with WD currently is that the Greens (internal drives) are really pretty slow. Avoid the Greens at all cost. When it comes to storage, many people would recommend you RAID. I recommend Raid 1 or Raid 01 if you need speed for the home user. Don't bother with any other Raid. Some may have you think that Raid 5 gives you more security. If you knew how long it really takes to rebuild the array after a single hdd crash, then you would have wished to never done so in the first place. Think months on a home system.

Lastly, a very useful tip. When running RAID or mirroring. Buy different brands or different batches of HDD. HDDs produced within the same batch may fail at the same time due to an inherent flaw during the manufacturing process. It has happened before. There are many more "cheem" problems when running Raid 5 and other raids during recovery.

If you're going to have 4 drives for RAID 5, might as well mirror. If 1 fail, you don't have to rebuild at all.

Just my 1 rupiah worth.

agree ..but i had 3 old harddisk's almost 10 yrs old and they are kicking

so its that Seagate brand that i had build up for years which was real good and stable..this one broke in just few months ..thinking of getting one WD or Hitachi this time

also agree the warranty is something really important too.atleast u get back the disk

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFy View Post
    All hdd manufacturers have their ups and downs. For different periods of time, different manufacturers have had bad batches of HDDs produced. Be it seagate, wd, maxtor, IBM(now defunct) etc. Generally what you would want to look out for is warranty coverage. I've had good expereience with all the brands above. I've had 1 or more of each die on me before (have been playing with computers for more than 10 years now).

I'm currently most impressed with WD's RMA method, and it's covered internationally. I can't speak for the rest currently, as i only have 2 seagates currently (one internal and one external), and they are both just dandy. The only issue with WD currently is that the Greens (internal drives) are really pretty slow. Avoid the Greens at all cost. When it comes to storage, many people would recommend you RAID. I recommend Raid 1 or Raid 01 if you need speed for the home user. Don't bother with any other Raid. Some may have you think that Raid 5 gives you more security. If you knew how long it really takes to rebuild the array after a single hdd crash, then you would have wished to never done so in the first place. Think months on a home system.

Lastly, a very useful tip. When running RAID or mirroring. Buy different brands or different batches of HDD. HDDs produced within the same batch may fail at the same time due to an inherent flaw during the manufacturing process. It has happened before. There are many more "cheem" problems when running Raid 5 and other raids during recovery.

If you're going to have 4 drives for RAID 5, might as well mirror. If 1 fail, you don't have to rebuild at all.

Just my 1 rupiah worth.
    Yes totally agree, thats why I recommend using Raid 0, for bro or sis have more $$ uses RAID 0 + 1 ( remember is 0+1 NOT 1+0), My Samsung, Seagate,WD all kicking now for average 8 years.

Quote Originally Posted by gsv13 View Post
    agree ..but i had 3 old harddisk's almost 10 yrs old and they are kicking

so its that Seagate brand that i had build up for years which was real good and stable..this one broke in just few months ..thinking of getting one WD or Hitachi this time

also agree the warranty is something really important too.atleast u get back the disk
    get a WD instead, I hear Hitachi have some issue.

will do ..thanks

sheesh,..........chanced on this thread too late man........already bought a 500gb buffalo....not hearing it mentioned in the thread now having jitters about it hahha...any users of the buffalo brand here?

cheers,
    kilkenny
    Nikon D90 | Nikkor 50mm f1.8 | Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 | Nissin Di622 |

Got a SGT 250GB ext HDD.. broke after 1 year.. All data gone..

Got a Maxtor 1TB ext HDD (under SGT), got read errors after 1 year. Send for RMA. The replaced drive produced read errors in less than 1 week.

If they want to replace a drive, at least make sure that the replaced drive is good rite.. Replacing with a problematic drive only damage their reputation.

Anyway.. I don't trust Seagate anymore..

I have two seagates 1T and 1.5T storage... both developed the "clucking" and read errors within months of use. I am shifting over to WD now... slightly more costly but more reliable.
    better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied -J.S. Mill
    1000D. My works

Blog Entries

i have 2 seagate Freeagent Go, both running flawlessly

Quote Originally Posted by Limsgp View Post
    Got a SGT 250GB ext HDD.. broke after 1 year.. All data gone..

Got a Maxtor 1TB ext HDD (under SGT), got read errors after 1 year. Send for RMA. The replaced drive produced read errors in less than 1 week.

If they want to replace a drive, at least make sure that the replaced drive is good rite.. Replacing with a problematic drive only damage their reputation.

Anyway.. I don't trust Seagate anymore..
    All Drives are the same, RMA normally will give a reconditioned drive. It doesn't matter what brand, all the same.

Any brands of drives will give you the same problem.
    It all depends on your luck. Certain Read-Write heads of the HDD have very strong Read back signal and some are just marginally passed the process. It you happen to bought one with the strong Read back signal then you are lucky. When the marginally passed R/W heads fail to produce a strong read signal then it depends very much on the error recovery system to recover the read errors.

HDD don't like strong magnetic field and moisture, don't store them in this kind of environment.
    Run them once every two weeks or one month to avoid the heads stick to the media.

Quote Originally Posted by astrorion View Post
    Yes totally agree, thats why I recommend using Raid 0, for bro or sis have more $$ uses RAID 0 + 1 ( remember is 0+1 NOT 1+0), My Samsung, Seagate,WD all kicking now for average 8 years.
    RAID 0? You sure?
    1 hard disk failed and all data in the array will be gone.
    除了爱, 我一无所有

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast