Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Backup revisit

Default Re: Backup revisit

I centralize my data onto a NAS to reduce duplication (read don't waste hdd). Then automate the replication onto a 2nd NAS (read save time and effort). So no fuss and it worked quite well for me.

There are the consumer NAS such as the ones that I use...under $1k for 2, including hdd. I have been using them for 3 years. So far so good. Small footprint, quiet and reliable.

I have a D Link DNS 323 ( 2x 1Tb hdd) NAS in RAID 1. My pictures are stored in an internal hdd ("D" drive) that syncs with the NAS. If any of the NAS drives fail and the replacement mirrorring screws up and wipes out both NAS drives (the new and old) during the re-build, there is still the internal hdd as last copy.

HDDs will fail eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Daoyin View Post
    Out of interest, you can still send failed hdd for data recovery service where the disk platter is extracted and analyse.

What can you do if a Solid State Disk fails? Is there any way to recover the data?

Quote Originally Posted by Daoyin View Post
    I have a D Link DNS 323 ( 2x 1Tb hdd) NAS in RAID 1. My pictures are stored in an internal hdd ("D" drive) that syncs with the NAS. If any of the NAS drives fail and the replacement mirrorring screws up and wipes out both NAS drives (the new and old) during the re-build, there is still the internal hdd as last copy.

Is the sync manual or automatic?

Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    Out of interest, you can still send failed hdd for data recovery service where the disk platter is extracted and analyse.
    What can you do if a Solid State Disk fails? Is there any way to recover the data?
    Similar to HDD: it depends on the kind of damage. If the physical media is destroyed then it's a real challenge or impossible. If only the controller died and the data carrying media still intact there are ways to get the data out.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by kklee View Post
    Is the sync manual or automatic?
    Currently it is a manual sync in order to free up any overheads. I use the "Allways" software. It is free for "casual" users but I seem to have exceeded the allowable sync quota and had to upgrade to the "pro" version.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12