Thread: Buy a 18-2XXmm lens or a pns with 14x zoom?

Default Buy a 18-2XXmm lens or a pns with 14x zoom?

Hi all,

currently having some dilemma here. I am currently looking to get a all in one lens for walk about purpose, but had this consideration of buying a new pns with 14x capability instead, as a lens of 18-2xxmm range is about $600-800 (iirc), and a new pns is about that price too.

The reason for looking for such a lens is the convenience of having a jack of all trades lens when traveling or having a walk about. I can also practise more with my camera, familiarizing with the quirks/limitations of my camera system.

What goes in favour for a pns is the fact that I have another camera for situations where a DSLR is not practical to carry to a place. Plus, in the situation where I run out of battery for my DSLR, i have a backup pns that should cover everything. In getting a pns, I will probably stick a 50 f1.8 lens to my DSLR.

What are your thoughts of this? All recommendations are welcomed

Default Re: Buy a 18-2XXmm lens or a pns with 14x zoom?

if u are ok with the quality that the prosumer produces, i guess u have already answered yourself.
    cameras are not made of tofu

One of the main attractions of DSLR is the ability to change lens.

Since you're averse to changing lens, I think a prosumer would suit you fine

Hi both,

Thanks for the feedback. Actually, i prefer to manual focus than auto focus, since the results of my camera seems to get blurry with auto focus. The thought of changing lens to suit different situations are actually quite fine for me, except the when i am outdoors, to reduce the chance of getting dust in the lens or the system.

Why a pns appeals to me now, is that it is cheaper than a 18-2xx lens. I will like to see how the brothers/sisters here choose in my situation and the reasons if possible. Currently I am looking at a Sigma 18-250mm lens and a Canon SX210IS.

I don't think I can ever go back to using a prosumer, unless really the situation makes it impossible for me to carry my DSLR around.
    The clunky interface and slow AF are 2 of the main drawbacks.
    I love all the dials and buttons

If you can live with all the drawbacks of the prosumer, or the benefits outweigh the disadvantages, then by all means get the SX20IS. It is indeed quite a capable camera, or so I've heard...

well do you need an 18-200 more or a PNS more?

myself, one working system i use is have a long telephoto on my slr and my pns as the wide angle.

if you are going to use in crowded areas or major functions, an articulating lcd will be very handy to have.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Quote Originally Posted by mobilecrazed View Post
    Why a pns appeals to me now, is that it is cheaper than a 18-2xx lens. I will like to see how the brothers/sisters here choose in my situation and the reasons if possible. Currently I am looking at a Sigma 18-250mm lens and a Canon SX210IS.
    Maybe you can give us ur budget to allow us better advise you?

Anw, have you thought about getting the 18-55 + 55-2XX combo? It is a cheaper alternative with good IQ as well.

Quote Originally Posted by yc2005 View Post
    Maybe you can give us ur budget to allow us better advise you?

Anw, have you thought about getting the 18-55 + 55-2XX combo? It is a cheaper alternative with good IQ as well.
    I am looking at max $800. In fact, i do have the combo you mentioned. In my lens arsenal,I have a 18-55, 55-200 and 50 f1.8. I have not used the 18-55 for a long while; my walkabout lens is usually the 55-200 and 50 f1.8 combo, but there are plenty of times where i simply wish to not need to swap the lens during walkabouts for marco shots or close objects. That's where my thoughts of getting a 18-2XX lens comes about.

A new lens of this range costs about $700-800 the last time i check, and then it occurred to me that at such a price, i can probably buy a new pns with 14x zoom for flexibility use.

In my heart I am leaning towards a new lens, but the idea of a pns kept tugging at my mind. Hence the post to ask for opinions from people.

cheers

I think a pns would be suitable and less of a hassle. A good one can produce very good quality shots as well. The sharpness of 18-200 lenses are usually not that good either at the long end.

Your current set up is sufficient enough. You have most shots covered with the range you have. Just be a little hardwoking, changing lens is not that tough
    Take the shot!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    I don't think I can ever go back to using a prosumer, unless really the situation makes it impossible for me to carry my DSLR around.
    The clunky interface and slow AF are 2 of the main drawbacks.
    I love all the dials and buttons
    Bro, I can still.. in fact I shoot stealth with handphone camera nowadays....

Couple of pics shot with handphone:

Blog Entries

TS,

It makes total sense to have a PnS as well. Sometimes a smaller form factor makes it less intrusive, and is very portable and light weight. Of course you loose some also if you use PnS, particularly you lose that nice thin DoF, that amazing IQ, and for many PnS models out there, you lose RAW shooting.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 6th May 2010 at 06:04 PM.

thanks everyone for the input, will sleep over it and see how it goes.

If you get a 18-2XX mm, then sell off both your 18-55 and 55-200 to offset the cost since you will be unlikely to use them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by krazyman View Post
    If you get a 18-2XX mm, then sell off both your 18-55 and 55-200 to offset the cost since you will be unlikely to use them anymore.
    Thats my thoughts as well. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Bro, I can still.. in fact I shoot stealth with handphone camera nowadays....

Couple of pics shot with handphone:

Your pics look very much like computer graphics in those PC games. Nice

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by krazyman View Post
    Your pics look very much like computer graphics in those PC games. Nice
    Eh.. not much PP is done. The pics are naturally sharp due to the small lens I guess. The handphone takes very good pictures in good light. But not that great in low light. Using a Nokia N97 mini btw.

Yes, agree have this.

Last edited by a52735; 17th May 2010 at 08:59 PM.