Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Japan (Hokkaido)

Default Re: Japan (Hokkaido)

I was there in early to mid may with 10-22, 17-50 and 70-200. But most of the time the 17-50 is attached on my camera. managed to catch the sakura bloom before I left for greater tokyo
    Bloggerfly - Migrated my Blog
    Bloggerfly Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by aspenx View Post
    I did not use the plural form...............

1 77mm CPL filter.
    62-77 step-up ring.
    72-77 step-up ring.

You use all your lenses at the same time and need so many CPL filters?
    Hi guy,

Having to realised that i can use adaptor ring for the lens, it arise to another question.

Should i get a 82mm or 77mm CPL filter for my EF-S 10-22?
    Canon|Tamron|Gitzo|Manfrotto|Benro|B+W|Hoya|LCW|LEE|HiT ech|Cokin|TianYa

77mm, when using with the 10-22, you got to remove the UV filter at 10mm wide. Dunno if using a slim UV filter will help
    Bloggerfly Gallery

Definitely the 10-22mm and probably the 50mm and the 135mm.

This should cover most of the shots.

Last year, i brought 17-40 and 135mm with my 5D2 to hokkaido and most of the time i am suing the 17-40.

You would not want to miss the beautiful landscape. The 135mm i use it to capture candids as well as some abstract.

Quote Originally Posted by anjobeads View Post
    Definitely the 10-22mm and probably the 50mm and the 135mm.

This should cover most of the shots.

Last year, i brought 17-40 and 135mm with my 5D2 to hokkaido and most of the time i am suing the 17-40.

You would not want to miss the beautiful landscape. The 135mm i use it to capture candids as well as some abstract.
    10-22 is good for landscape which i am sure too bring. As for candids i think 17-50 should be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by simonsng View Post
    77mm, when using with the 10-22, you got to remove the UV filter at 10mm wide. Dunno if using a slim UV filter will help
    Thinking of using step-up adaptor + 82mm ND fader for the trip.

What do the senior think? Or should i use square filter?

confirm at 10mm wide, you might to see the edge of the adapter
    Bloggerfly Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by dleugene View Post
    10-22 is good for landscape which i am sure too bring. As for candids i think 17-50 should be enough.

Thinking of using step-up adaptor + 82mm ND fader for the trip.
    What do the senior think? Or should i use square filter?
    Yes, 10-22 + 17-50 are sufficient.

If you're serious about landscape photography at Hokkaido:

a) Consider Hoya 77 mm HD circular polariser.

b) For ND & ND grad filters, you should get Lee holders (100 mm wide) + Hi-tech (or Lee if you can afford) filters. Cokin P and Z-pro will vignette on 10-22 @ 10 mm.

c) Decent tripod + ball-head

The whole set-up won't be cheap. I started off with relatively cheap stuff and found I had to replace a number of things few years later.

Skip your laptop unless it's absolutely necessary.

If you're in Hokkaido during Jan-Feb, I'll further suggest a telephoto lens for photos of migratory birds.
    Last edited by doodah; 31st May 2010 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by simonsng View Post
    confirm at 10mm wide, you might to see the edge of the adapter
    u mean the step up adaptor?

Quote Originally Posted by doodah View Post
    Yes, 10-22 + 17-50 are sufficient.

If you're serious about landscape photography at Hokkaido:

a) Consider Hoya 77 mm HD circular polariser.

b) For ND & ND grad filters, you should get Lee holders (100 mm wide) + Hi-tech (or Lee if you can afford) filters. Cokin P and Z-pro will vignette on 10-22 @ 10 mm.

c) Decent tripod + ball-head

The whole set-up won't be cheap. I started off with relatively cheap stuff and found I had to replace a number of things few years later.

Skip your laptop unless it's absolutely necessary.

If you're in Hokkaido during Jan-Feb, I'll further suggest a telephoto lens for photos of migratory birds.
    a) just got B + W 77mm slim CPL filter.

b) tried the cokin P wide angle holder had no vignette. But have to double confirm again.

c) Using Benro C268M8 + B-1 tripod.

Is long focal length for birds only?

Is long focal length for birds only?
    Yes, telephoto is good for certain landscapes too.

Hitching onto your thread.

I'm heading to Hokkaido this july! What are the places of interest to look out for?
    ♥ Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous. ♥
    -- Albert Einstein

I am going to Hokkaido on 24 June.
    On tour group not free and easy.
    So i be bringing more gear as i dont have to worry about transport unlike free and easy i will sure travel light.

Stuff i plan to bring.

EOS 5D W/ BattGrip
    EOS 7D W/ BattGrip
    EF 17-40 F4L
    EF 24-105 F4L
    580EX II
    77mm CPL, ND8, CLOSE UP +4
    Lowepro flipside Camera bag
    Benro CF tripod
    8gb CF, 16gb CF, 32gb CF cards

Thats about it.
    Life through the Lens

just my 2 cents.

since yours is a crop body, i suggest to u leave your 18-55 back home. bring your 55-200 then rent a 10-22 for UWA shoots.

I'll be bringing my 17-55 (kit lens) + 10-22mm. I think a UWA would be really useful in landscape shooting.
    ♥ Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous. ♥
    -- Albert Einstein

Will be heading there this christmas. Need some tips on the following:

1. Shoes - What shoes are good for walking on snow/ice and can be bought in SG? Dun wana slip and fall whilst holding my cam.

2. Shooting - How to shoot in Winter condition? Hands in glove, finger cant find shutter button

3. Breathing - Will vapour from breath cloud viewfinder?

Any other tips for shooting in Winter conditions? For 1, I will definitely be bringing my tripod around as my lens are NON-IS.. no stabilisation from my chattering..

Quote Originally Posted by tecrec View Post

1. Shoes - What shoes are good for walking on snow/ice and can be bought in SG? Dun wana slip and fall whilst holding my cam.

2. Shooting - How to shoot in Winter condition? Hands in glove, finger cant find shutter button

Any other tips for shooting in Winter conditions? For 1, I will definitely be bringing my tripod around as my lens are NON-IS.. no stabilisation from my chattering..
    1. I used the army gortex boots, good enough to keep feet warm and dry.

2. I found it easier not to wear gloves for my right hand, more nimble to play with camera settings and shutter button.

3. No.

Other tips: Bring backup batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by tecrec View Post

I went to Hokkaido during the most coldest period in Feb10 to Mar10. http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...light=hokkaido

1. For shoe get the columbia brand. Not that expensive and it is good. Some of their trekking shoe are even waterproof. Most importantly, you need a good wool socks to keep your feet warm.

2. For shooting, if you have those good and expensive glove which are thin and provide warm, you should not have problem finding the shutter with the gloves on. Of cos if you are using ski glove, then you might need to take out. However, most people will only wear ski glove during skiing.
    I always wear 2 gloves. the first layer will be the wool/cotton glove and the outer layer will be the windproof/Gotex glove to keep water and wind away. Hands is the most important parts of the body that you need to protect well. You can wear many layers of clothing but without proper glove, you will still feel the cold.

For weather sealed body and lenses, you should not have problems shooting out in the snow or when it is snowing. However, you need to take note that you need to brush away the snow from your camera before you come indoor as the snow will melt.

There will be condensation if you expose the camera in the cold for too long. So take out your camera when you want to use it, the rest of the time, try to keep it in your bad or inside your jacket. Of cos using the ziploc bag is a good way to prevent condensation.

I did one star trail shoot out in the middle of the night at temp -10 degree. Left the 5D2 with 17-40 out there for 3 hours. I even wrapped the camera with some scarf to keep it warm but i was shock when i took the camera in (i used all method like ziploc bag). The condensation was so severe that it took about 1.5 hours to clear.
    Important thing to take note that, you cannot bring the camera out in the cold when there is condensation or you might not be using that lens anymore.

3. Breathing will not have issues for me even at temp -4 Degree.

For better clothing management, you need to wear different layers of clothing.
    1st layer will be the thermal wear.
    2nd layer can be your wool sweater or for those who need more warm, you might want to wear your long sleeve clothing before putting on the sweater.
    3rd layer will be your down jackets.
    Last layer will be your outer jackets for wind and waterproof. You do not need this if your down jackets are gortex. Wind is a killer and can make you very cold if your jackets are not windproof.
    Your neck, ear and especially head protection are also very important.

For batteries, you will definitely need to bring more but most batteries made today for cameras are very long lasting even in cold condition. 1 battery can last me 1 to 2 days of shooting which is quite good under such cold condition.
    Last edited by colourfulfaces; 30th August 2010 at 11:00 AM.

Sound great. Where to get?

But i prefer EF 10-10000 f1.0 anyone know where to get it?
    if this lens is available in the market, i doubt you would be able to carry it around... haha! and try finding a filter for it, you will cry!

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    1. I used the army gortex boots, good enough to keep feet warm and dry.

2. I found it easier not to wear gloves for my right hand, more nimble to play with camera settings and shutter button.

3. No.

Other tips: Bring backup batteries.
    Thanks! Army boots is good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by colourfulfaces View Post
    I went to Hokkaido during the most coldest period in Feb10 to Mar10. http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...light=hokkaido

Thanks for the detailed write up! Would help me alot! You have some awesome pics there, have been referring to that link as I plan my trip as well. Cheers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12