Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

Thread: Japan (Hokkaido)

  1. #1

    Default Japan (Hokkaido)

    Hi,

    I am planning to go to Hokkaido coming mid July, can the CS senior please advice the lens to bring along with 450D.

    I am having 18-55 & 55-250. And also planning to get a new lens, please recommend.
    Last edited by dleugene; 6th May 2010 at 09:19 AM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Japan (Hokkaido)

    Quote Originally Posted by dleugene View Post
    Hi,

    I am planning to go to Hokkaido coming mid July, can the CS senior please advice the lens to bring along with 450D.

    I am having 15-55 & 55-250. And also planning to get a new lens, please recommend.
    Apparently you need a 250-1000 to feel more complete.

  3. #3

    Question Re: Japan (Hokkaido)

    Quote Originally Posted by memorylane View Post
    Apparently you need a 250-1000 to feel more complete.
    Sound great. Where to get?

    But i prefer EF 10-10000 f1.0 anyone know where to get it?
    Last edited by dleugene; 6th May 2010 at 09:29 AM.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Of This Sunny Island
    Posts
    132

    Default Re: Japan (Hokkaido)

    i would recommend a UWA lens if you're going there for scenery shooting =) you might want to bring a 18-200 travel lens for any other shots. Main point, cut down on weight since you are there for a holiday =) don't let the weight cut you down.

    Do remember a battery grip if you tend to be shutter happy. =)
    Canon EOS 550D
    Passion will make you crazy, but is there any other way to live?

  5. #5

    Default Re: Japan (Hokkaido)

    A extra battery might be useful as it drains quite fast in cold conditions.

    Lens wise, its hard to say unless you can point out how your current lenses are limiting to your requirements.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Japan (Hokkaido)

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnZee View Post
    i would recommend a UWA lens if you're going there for scenery shooting =) you might want to bring a 18-200 travel lens for any other shots. Main point, cut down on weight since you are there for a holiday =) don't let the weight cut you down.

    Do remember a battery grip if you tend to be shutter happy. =)

    I also think weight is a issue here, tried commuting with FastPack 250 packed with DSLR + Lens + Macbook. Beri heavy......




    Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    A extra battery might be useful as it drains quite fast in cold conditions.

    Lens wise, its hard to say unless you can point out how your current lenses are limiting to your requirements.
    Bring 3 original battery, as for lens hope to get a sharp copy so not to waste the trip.


    Thanx for all the valueable inputs.....

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    125'10.16"N 10350'11.01"E
    Posts
    1,052

    Default Re: Japan (Hokkaido)

    I think the telephoto lens would be rather useless having been to Hokkaido. A better walkabout lens (perhaps the Tamron 17-50) or a wide angle would suffice. That's just my opinion though, choice of lens is up to individual.

    Just a side note, one fully charged battery was able to last me a full day with about 250 shot, no flash or live view mode was used though.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Japan (Hokkaido)

    Get an ultra wide angle like JohnZee mentioned.

    Hokkaido has lots of scenery and you will want to have a UWA to take those. Bring a tripod too. I was kicking myself without both of them when i was in Hokkaido...

    =(

  9. #9

    Default Re: Japan (Hokkaido)

    Quote Originally Posted by dleugene View Post
    Hi,

    I am planning to go to Hokkaido coming mid July, can the CS senior please advice the lens to bring along with 450D.

    I am having 18-55 & 55-250. And also planning to get a new lens, please recommend.
    what is in your mind of new lens? what you found inadequate?

    what you have is sufficient to cover everthing for general, at that points of time last year, i have addition 60mm Macro to compliments if i need to shoot some flowers...
    Canon/24-105mm f4L IS/70-200 f2.8L IS/100 f2.8 Macro L IS/430ExII

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lakeside
    Posts
    403

    Default Re: Japan (Hokkaido)

    My two cents - what you own right now might be well enough to keep record of where you have been and seen. But if you desire beautiful memories, I would humbly suggest to add UWA lens and fast primes. Most importantly, WEIGHT ISSUE as you will be on the move most of the time.
    In fact, I am going to Kyoto, Tokyo, Nikko in June for 2 wks. The following are what I own and have decided to carry along.

    450D without grip with two extra batteries and 20GB memory in total ( mostly,I'll shoot raw)
    Tokina 12-24 f4 ( for landscape and architecture )
    Sigma 30mm f1.4 ( low-light walk around : night geisha lens )
    Canon 85mm f1.8 (street candid- day and night geisha lens )
    Tamron 60mm f2 ( for macro shots )
    Kenko 1.4X
    and some cokin filters and hoya CPL for tokina
    All the above will nicely fit into my Kata-H14 and total weight is just alright to withstand whole day carrying since most lenses are small and light. I'll carry Kata around my waist using Lowepro Belt and buckle so that I can sliplock water bottle as well..
    And sirui tripod to top up.
    That's all my preparation... Hope you can work it out for yourself too...
    I will start taking pictures from now on :-)

  11. #11
    Member YuccaTheFlower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Hidden beneath the viewfinder
    Posts
    221

    Default Re: Japan (Hokkaido)

    18-200 Best le la

  12. #12

    Default Re: Japan (Hokkaido)

    Just came back - been using 12-24mm and 18-200mm (Yes, I do swap between them for my shots)... So, don't understand what you are looking for. Your lens should be enough for the trip, unless you are getting something like 10-20 sigma lens for the UW.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Japan (Hokkaido)

    Quote Originally Posted by kewlzound View Post
    Get an ultra wide angle like JohnZee mentioned.

    Hokkaido has lots of scenery and you will want to have a UWA to take those. Bring a tripod too. I was kicking myself without both of them when i was in Hokkaido...

    =(
    After going through a few landscape photo gathering, i fully agreed with the need of a UWA.


    Quote Originally Posted by pattanct View Post
    what is in your mind of new lens? what you found inadequate?

    what you have is sufficient to cover everthing for general, at that points of time last year, i have addition 60mm Macro to compliments if i need to shoot some flowers...
    Macro lens? or Macro adapter better?


    Quote Originally Posted by Joelhlaing View Post
    My two cents - what you own right now might be well enough to keep record of where you have been and seen. But if you desire beautiful memories, I would humbly suggest to add UWA lens and fast primes. Most importantly, WEIGHT ISSUE as you will be on the move most of the time.
    In fact, I am going to Kyoto, Tokyo, Nikko in June for 2 wks. The following are what I own and have decided to carry along.

    450D without grip with two extra batteries and 20GB memory in total ( mostly,I'll shoot raw)
    Tokina 12-24 f4 ( for landscape and architecture )
    Sigma 30mm f1.4 ( low-light walk around : night geisha lens )
    Canon 85mm f1.8 (street candid- day and night geisha lens )
    Tamron 60mm f2 ( for macro shots )
    Kenko 1.4X
    and some cokin filters and hoya CPL for tokina
    All the above will nicely fit into my Kata-H14 and total weight is just alright to withstand whole day carrying since most lenses are small and light. I'll carry Kata around my waist using Lowepro Belt and buckle so that I can sliplock water bottle as well..
    And sirui tripod to top up.
    That's all my preparation... Hope you can work it out for yourself too...
    Look like a must have list of equipments to bring. But Cokin filter holder and filter is a must have. Dun need to bring so many size of filter.

    Quote Originally Posted by YuccaTheFlower View Post
    18-200 Best le la
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpc View Post
    Just came back - been using 12-24mm and 18-200mm (Yes, I do swap between them for my shots)... So, don't understand what you are looking for. Your lens should be enough for the trip, unless you are getting something like 10-20 sigma lens for the UW.
    Do you use focal length more than 50mm often?

    i am planning to use 10-22 and 17-50 for the trip. Last but least, a tripod.

    Hope the senior could advise me on my packing list.
    Canon|Tamron|Gitzo|Manfrotto|Benro|B+W|Hoya|LCW|LEE|HiT ech|Cokin|TianYa

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    here
    Posts
    1,350

    Default Re: Japan (Hokkaido)

    I bring a 18-35mm, 60mm f/2.8 macro and 135mm f/2 on full frame, if that helps with your planning.

    Tripod, CPL and flash too but no square filters.

    Like what others have mentioned, choice of lens is really up to you.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Japan (Hokkaido)

    Quote Originally Posted by aspenx View Post
    I bring a 18-35mm, 60mm f/2.8 macro and 135mm f/2 on full frame, if that helps with your planning.

    Tripod, CPL and flash too but no square filters.

    Like what others have mentioned, choice of lens is really up to you.
    U having CPL for all ur lens?
    Canon|Tamron|Gitzo|Manfrotto|Benro|B+W|Hoya|LCW|LEE|HiT ech|Cokin|TianYa

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    here
    Posts
    1,350

    Default Re: Japan (Hokkaido)

    Quote Originally Posted by dleugene View Post
    U having CPL for all ur lens?
    I did not use the plural form...............

    1 77mm CPL filter.
    62-77 step-up ring.
    72-77 step-up ring.

    You use all your lenses at the same time and need so many CPL filters?

  17. #17

    Default Re: Japan (Hokkaido)

    Quote Originally Posted by aspenx View Post
    I did not use the plural form...............

    1 77mm CPL filter.
    62-77 step-up ring.
    72-77 step-up ring.

    You use all your lenses at the same time and need so many CPL filters?
    I see, Never realised that there are such a thing.....Where to get?
    Canon|Tamron|Gitzo|Manfrotto|Benro|B+W|Hoya|LCW|LEE|HiT ech|Cokin|TianYa

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    here
    Posts
    1,350

    Default Re: Japan (Hokkaido)

    eBay. Because:

    1. Can find the exact size I need easily
    2. Cheap. At <USD2 for a ring inclusive of shipping.
    3. Convenient. Sit at home and wait for it to come instead of having to go to shop and talk to salespeople.

    Link.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Japan (Hokkaido)

    Quote Originally Posted by aspenx View Post
    eBay. Because:

    1. Can find the exact size I need easily
    2. Cheap. At <USD2 for a ring inclusive of shipping.
    3. Convenient. Sit at home and wait for it to come instead of having to go to shop and talk to salespeople.

    Link.
    Thx for the info
    Canon|Tamron|Gitzo|Manfrotto|Benro|B+W|Hoya|LCW|LEE|HiT ech|Cokin|TianYa

  20. #20
    Member kenkht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    395

    Default Re: Japan (Hokkaido)

    As I travel a lot, and do lots of trekking, one thing I found was that the lens that I used all the time at home was the lens I used all the time during these trips. Yes, I did ambitiously bring other lenses and bought new lens as well but ultimately, 90% of the time, I would used my "fav" lens. In my case, the 24-105 and 70-200. I hardly touched my 17-40 that I brought. It became "dead weight".

    So my recommendation is to stick your favourite lens as that will give you your best shot (you have already know how to use it). It will be very clumsy to experiment with new lenses that you're not familiar with.

    My 2 cents......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •