Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5891011 LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 204

Thread: Senior Members.....ClubSnap.... Newbies.... Questions.....

  1. #181

    Default Re: Senior Members.....ClubSnap.... Newbies.... Questions.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    To be frank, some of those good photographer that left CS is because of those "thot they know a lot" or "thot they shoot like god" photographer keep posting misleading things in CS.

    I stay because i enjoying seeing those post as it wouldn't affect my photo in anyway.
    Quite a collection there. Anyway, i guess misinformation is also out there on the internet, not solely confined to CS.

    Perhaps the good thing about a forum is that the misinformation can be picked apart and corrected more easily.

  2. #182

    Default Re: Senior Members.....ClubSnap.... Newbies.... Questions.....

    Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post

    Perhaps the good thing about a forum is that the misinformation can be picked apart and corrected more easily.
    yes, but sometimes people just look at the answer, and then they happily waltz off.

    next thing, you see the threadstarter who got his question mis-answered spouting that garbage with extreme confidence....... and so it spreads.

  3. #183

    Default Re: Senior Members.....ClubSnap.... Newbies.... Questions.....

    Quote Originally Posted by ShiNn View Post
    Recently and for quite awhile around clubsnap, I have been seeing newbies, beginners, clueless people that are being shot down by Senior Members when asking a perfectly innocent question.

    Example:

    newbie: "what is the difference between a ND filter and a grad ND filter ?"
    Senior Member: "pls go google or make a search... what are search engines for????!!!! "

    But I am sure that what this forum is about is to answer questions and queries for those newbies and beginners. or is it what this forum is NOT about?

    Any comments from guys out there?
    ....a fool a day or a fool forever? As we sometimes ask stupid question.

  4. #184

    Default Re: Senior Members.....ClubSnap.... Newbies.... Questions.....

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    or that using B+W makes your photos sharper
    I tot use B+W filter to shoot in Black and White
    Tangfolio, 9mm; CZ75 Shadow, 9mm; S&W 686, .38

  5. #185
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Senior Members.....ClubSnap.... Newbies.... Questions.....

    Quote Originally Posted by romeo tango View Post
    I tot use B+W filter to shoot in Black and White
    Yeah... and I use my red and yellow filters to shoot "coloured pics"...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  6. #186
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,750

    Default Re: Senior Members.....ClubSnap.... Newbies.... Questions.....

    Quote Originally Posted by ShiNn View Post
    me: " the bigger the number the better. cuz more light can go in.... f/22 will be the best. the aperture will be so big that even at night ur ISO 100 also can shoot daylight shots "
    I really hope that this one is a joke
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

  7. #187

    Default Re: Senior Members.....ClubSnap.... Newbies.... Questions.....

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Yeah... and I use my red and yellow filters to shoot "coloured pics"...
    ha ha, think we have the same sifu
    Tangfolio, 9mm; CZ75 Shadow, 9mm; S&W 686, .38

  8. #188
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Senior Members.....ClubSnap.... Newbies.... Questions.....

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare
    Quote Originally Posted by Leong23
    When i saw this, i really LOL, he already dunno who he is speaking to.
    Judging from his photos, he's obviously the "best" events photographer in CS...
    and his skills extend to landscapes too, taking night cityscapes without tripod... amazing. I really salute him
    Exploring! :)

  9. #189
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Senior Members.....ClubSnap.... Newbies.... Questions.....

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Judging from his photos, he's obviously the "best" events photographer in CS...
    and his skills extend to landscapes too, taking night cityscapes without tripod... amazing. I really salute him
    don't laugh, don't you know this is call reportage style? have you ever see a journalist carry tripod?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  10. #190
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Senior Members.....ClubSnap.... Newbies.... Questions.....

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    When i saw this, i really LOL, he already dunno who he is speaking to.
    don't laugh leh, of course have to stay there lar,
    if not got so many drinks, currypok, kueh-ji, FM radio, small tv, plus poncho..... very hard to move around...
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  11. #191

    Default Re: Senior Members.....ClubSnap.... Newbies.... Questions.....

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    don't laugh, don't you know this is call reportage style? have you ever see a journalist carry tripod?
    my mother say take night shots must use tripod de.

  12. #192

    Default Re: Senior Members.....ClubSnap.... Newbies.... Questions.....

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    don't laugh leh, of course have to stay there lar,
    if not got so many drinks, currypok, kueh-ji, FM radio, small tv, plus poncho..... very hard to move around...


    that one is cover sports photo?

    that one is go picnic!!!!!!!!

  13. #193
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,911

    Default Re: Senior Members.....ClubSnap.... Newbies.... Questions.....

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    don't laugh leh, of course have to stay there lar,
    if not got so many drinks, currypok, kueh-ji, FM radio, small tv, plus poncho..... very hard to move around...
    Actually, I will kop to being slightly spoilt when photographing cricket. The food will usually be more local (to here) obviously, but when you're sat there for 8 hours it gets a bit... you know. We get packed lunches brought round usually, and a radio is pretty handy to find out exactly what's going on in front of you in case you're lost (it does happen).

  14. #194
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Senior Members.....ClubSnap.... Newbies.... Questions.....

    pardon me for my ignorance about sports photography, but I did actually think that photographers found a suitable spot in the press box and just camped there.
    I mean... I see the huge telephoto lenses and think to myself "how do you move around during the game/match?"
    Exploring! :)

  15. #195
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,750

    Default Re: Senior Members.....ClubSnap.... Newbies.... Questions.....

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    pardon me for my ignorance about sports photography, but I did actually think that photographers found a suitable spot in the press box and just camped there.
    I mean... I see the huge telephoto lenses and think to myself "how do you move around during the game/match?"
    Carefully, you move around very carefully
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

  16. #196
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Senior Members.....ClubSnap.... Newbies.... Questions.....

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    pardon me for my ignorance about sports photography, but I did actually think that photographers found a suitable spot in the press box and just camped there.
    I mean... I see the huge telephoto lenses and think to myself "how do you move around during the game/match?"
    Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    Carefully, you move around very carefully
    Just like this fella...



    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  17. #197
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Senior Members.....ClubSnap.... Newbies.... Questions.....

    i've seen that photo... hahaha that's a lot of gear.

    Well, I meant maybe those photogs you see at football matches, spread out around the pitch. I can't imagine they'd be moving around at all.
    Exploring! :)

  18. #198
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,911

    Default Re: Senior Members.....ClubSnap.... Newbies.... Questions.....

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    pardon me for my ignorance about sports photography, but I did actually think that photographers found a suitable spot in the press box and just camped there.
    I mean... I see the huge telephoto lenses and think to myself "how do you move around during the game/match?"
    [1] Photographers don't camp in the press box. At a lot of venues (primarily football though) we aren't even allowed in the press box.

    [2] Moving with huge telephotos isn't difficult. Take golf for example, that involves the same if not more kit than football, and it involves moving, a lot. At an estimation, about a round and a half of distance (27 holes) but this could be more or less depending on how lazy or proactive you are, and more importantly how the day is shaping up.

    [3] You are right in that we rarely move for football. Penalties are one of the exceptions, and at half time. This is quite different from an affirmation of this "find a good spot and stay there" advice however. After all, how *do* you identify a good spot in football? That depends totally on what happens on the pitch, and as I pointed out in that thread, if you know that, then you should be at the bookmakers on the way and wouldn't have to take photos for a living. You can be at your "best" spot, and everything can happen at the other end of the pitch and you'll get sod all good.

    Note also I did bring up advice not to chase the game, which is generally largely true because it more often than not bring more harm than good. So if you're plonked and a goal goes in at the other end, don't move. I wouldn't move if it was 2-0 either (due to a variety of reasons I won't go into here, but this is where experience comes in), and only very very occasionally if it was 3-0 or more. The one exception is if there is a story and it goes from being 2-0 to 2-1 and you'd be at the wrong end of the pitch for a potential equaliser, taking into account whether there is a long time to go in the game or not.

    This is totally not the same thing as, if you find a good spot stay there. And in many other sports where the action follows a more predictable pattern, the advice could be, if a spot's not working, move. Which again, is very different from find a good spot and stay there. Also, get your shots, and then move and get something different.

  19. #199
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Sunny island
    Posts
    1,208

    Default Re: Senior Members.....ClubSnap.... Newbies.... Questions.....

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Judging from his photos, he's obviously the "best" events photographer in CS...
    and his skills extend to landscapes too, taking night cityscapes without tripod... amazing. I really salute him
    http://www.yeechaokoh.com/
    What's the use of "depth of field" if there's no "depth of feelings...

  20. #200
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Senior Members.....ClubSnap.... Newbies.... Questions.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    [1] Photographers don't camp in the press box. At a lot of venues (primarily football though) we aren't even allowed in the press box.

    [2] Moving with huge telephotos isn't difficult. Take golf for example, that involves the same if not more kit than football, and it involves moving, a lot. At an estimation, about a round and a half of distance (27 holes) but this could be more or less depending on how lazy or proactive you are, and more importantly how the day is shaping up.

    [3] You are right in that we rarely move for football. Penalties are one of the exceptions, and at half time. This is quite different from an affirmation of this "find a good spot and stay there" advice however. After all, how *do* you identify a good spot in football? That depends totally on what happens on the pitch, and as I pointed out in that thread, if you know that, then you should be at the bookmakers on the way and wouldn't have to take photos for a living. You can be at your "best" spot, and everything can happen at the other end of the pitch and you'll get sod all good.

    Note also I did bring up advice not to chase the game, which is generally largely true because it more often than not bring more harm than good. So if you're plonked and a goal goes in at the other end, don't move. I wouldn't move if it was 2-0 either (due to a variety of reasons I won't go into here, but this is where experience comes in), and only very very occasionally if it was 3-0 or more. The one exception is if there is a story and it goes from being 2-0 to 2-1 and you'd be at the wrong end of the pitch for a potential equaliser, taking into account whether there is a long time to go in the game or not.

    This is totally not the same thing as, if you find a good spot stay there. And in many other sports where the action follows a more predictable pattern, the advice could be, if a spot's not working, move. Which again, is very different from find a good spot and stay there. Also, get your shots, and then move and get something different.
    Tks for taking the time to reply, Jed.
    Now at least I have some idea what a sports photographer has to deal with.
    Agreed that such simplistic advice as "find a good spot and stay there" is not viable. Haha
    Exploring! :)

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5891011 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •