Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Battlefield Tour

  1. #1
    Senior Member King Tiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In the heart of SengKang
    Posts
    5,882

    Thumbs up Battlefield Tour

    Hello my fellow CSers

    Just wanna to check if anyone of you have been to any historical battle site before ?

    Places like
    1) Normandy/Omaha beaches
    2) Pearl harbour
    3) Stalingrad [Present name today is call Volgograd]
    4) Kursk
    5) Midway Islands
    6) Iwo Jima
    7) Okinawa
    8) Toburk
    9) Kota Bahru/Slim River
    10) Any other battle sites or ancient battlefield (Vietnam, Korea, Africa or any part of the global world)



    Battlefield Tour, is a unique tour, which focus on the places where war history, soldiers and civilians, tactics and weapons happen at a particular place and at a particular time.
    If you have been before, do share your experience, research, planning and etc.

    Looking for people with the same interest here.



    Also, some of the battlefield areas where I have been before.
    Hope it can ignite all of you with ideas and inspiration who is keen on battlefield tour.

    USS Arizona http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331376

    USS Missouri http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331379

    USS Bowfin http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331459

    King Tiger http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433966

    Panther http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=434342

    Sherman http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=434473

    Band of Brothers http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=434897

    HMS Belfast http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=435302

    Bovington Tank Museum http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=435640

    Great Wall of China 万里长城 : 山海关 : 天下第一关 http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244665
    Last edited by King Tiger; 5th May 2010 at 11:25 PM.
    War is one of the most regrettable human activities.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Battlefield Tour

    I do too, would love to visit the islands in the Pacific involved in the Second World War, not too much the fronts in Europe though. Ah, Arizona Memorial as well.

    Sadly it'll have to wait

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, Singapore
    Posts
    1,513

    Default Re: Battlefield Tour

    diving at the Truk lagoon is on one of my destinations... my reward when i make my first 500k. hehe
    www.colouredshots.com
    Kodak film disposable camera

  4. #4
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,186

    Default Re: Battlefield Tour

    The only place i visited is "Hell Fire Pass" at Thailand, not really a battlefield.








  5. #5

    Default Re: Battlefield Tour

    i went to normandy and the omaha beaches before.. wanted to go eagle's nest but it was closed for winter..

    i'm trying to plan to go pearl harbour and also hiroshima (ground zero)..

  6. #6

    Default Re: Battlefield Tour



    Taken at Hiroshima when I was there in 2003. A-bomb dome. This is what remain after the detonation of the Atomic bomb.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: Battlefield Tour

    King Tiger, nope, never been to anyone of the locations that you have listed.

  8. #8
    Senior Member King Tiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In the heart of SengKang
    Posts
    5,882

    Default Re: Battlefield Tour

    Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    King Tiger, nope, never been to anyone of the locations that you have listed.
    Hello Canew, may your dream come true in the future. How about other places ?
    Like in Malaysia at Kota Tinggi, Kota Bahru or else where.
    Last edited by King Tiger; 5th May 2010 at 11:22 PM.
    War is one of the most regrettable human activities.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Battlefield Tour

    Hiroshima, though not sure if its considered a battle field per se. But I must say the on-site museum was pretty good and exceeded my expectations.

  10. #10
    Senior Member King Tiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In the heart of SengKang
    Posts
    5,882

    Default Re: Battlefield Tour

    Quote Originally Posted by MARK1992 View Post
    I do too, would love to visit the islands in the Pacific involved in the Second World War, not too much the fronts in Europe though. Ah, Arizona Memorial as well.

    Sadly it'll have to wait
    For Pacific areas, Okinawa is one of my listing,
    the cost (air ticket and hotel) would be around $1500 per person.
    War is one of the most regrettable human activities.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Battlefield Tour

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tiger View Post
    For Pacific areas, Okinawa is one of my listing,
    the cost (air ticket and hotel) would be around $1500 per person.
    Something to think about, thanks

    Want to visit Midway, Peleliu and maybe Guadalcanal. Wonder how to get there though. Probably ferry from a larger island.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Re: Battlefield Tour

    i heard Europe is good for WW2 sites visit. Russia actually left a lot of tanks and artillery pieces untouched at Kursk. For Normandy.. the D-DAY bunkers and big guns are still there. The best will be Eagle Nest, Wolf Lair ... which many still intact.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Battlefield Tour

    Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    i heard Europe is good for WW2 sites visit. Russia actually left a lot of tanks and artillery pieces untouched at Kursk. For Normandy.. the D-DAY bunkers and big guns are still there. The best will be Eagle Nest, Wolf Lair ... which many still intact.
    Yea, in Vienna, WWII german anti air fort still stands in park when I was there.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Re: Battlefield Tour

    there is also a German U-Boat base in France, think it is called Brest, the super-structure is still there and the U-Boats actually moored inside, protected from air raids.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Battlefield Tour

    Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    there is also a German U-Boat base in France, think it is called Brest, the super-structure is still there and the U-Boats actually moored inside, protected from air raids.
    Oh man wasted. I was in France for a week, didn't see that... I checked wiki, it this right?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brest,_France

  16. #16
    Senior Member King Tiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In the heart of SengKang
    Posts
    5,882

    Default Re: Battlefield Tour

    Quote Originally Posted by MARK1992 View Post
    Something to think about, thanks

    Want to visit Midway, Peleliu and maybe Guadalcanal. Wonder how to get there though. Probably ferry from a larger island.
    Not sure about Peleliu.

    For Midway, will need to transit via Hawaii.

    For Guadalcanal, will need to transit via Sydney I believe.
    War is one of the most regrettable human activities.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: Battlefield Tour

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tiger View Post
    Hello Canew, may your dream come true in the future.
    Thanks, King Tiger. Hopefully...

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, Singapore
    Posts
    1,513

    Default Re: Battlefield Tour

    oh i've dived the battleship repulse off kuantan...totally surreal experience, and one of my best dive trips ever
    www.colouredshots.com
    Kodak film disposable camera

  19. #19

    Default Re: Battlefield Tour

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tiger View Post
    Hello my fellow CSers

    Just wanna to check if anyone of you have been to any historical battle site before ?

    9) Kota Bahru/Slim River
    Battlefield Tour, is a unique tour, which focus on the places where war history, soldiers and civilians, tactics and weapons happen at a particular place and at a particular time.
    If you have been before, do share your experience, research, planning and etc.

    Looking for people with the same interest here.
    There's no monument or anything to commemorate any battles in both Kota Bahru (near my mom's hometown) or Slim River (my dad's childhood residence).

  20. #20
    Senior Member King Tiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In the heart of SengKang
    Posts
    5,882

    Default Re: Battlefield Tour

    Quote Originally Posted by antacid View Post
    oh i've dived the battleship repulse off kuantan...totally surreal experience, and one of my best dive trips ever
    Wow, this is very nice.
    Are you able to photography the battleship ?

    How about HMS Prince of Wales ?
    War is one of the most regrettable human activities.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •