Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is the Singapore economy really recovering?

Default Re: Is the Singapore economy really recovering?

i think for your case,
    a company will prefer a young fresh graduate with related HR education than a experience guy who study in other line and been working as admin for years... they usually think for long term investment...

Quote Originally Posted by dancemania View Post
    Every few weeks, the newspaper and media state that there are more jobs created, employment rises, more bosses to hire in the 2nd quarter etc? How far is this true? I beg to differ. Are there any job seekers who have a degree and are between 35 to 45 years old and are unable to find a job? Yes, plenty. You will be shocked to know that it is almost impossible to even land an admin job or to switch lines without the RELEVANT EXP. How do get relevant exp when no one gives you a chance. Not even temp or contract jobs are possible. What is your take? Anyone experiencing this too?
    it's still hard to get a job nowadays!

Think you've summed it up well.

Some industries have shrunk to dismal proportions over 5-10yrs. Electronics and manufacturing in particular. These are generally the sectors where professionals have very specific skills and have a hard time fitting into new jobs available in other sectors that are booming.

Non industry specific job/skills benefit the most, since ppl can jump to the next booming line.

Quote Originally Posted by Justintime View Post
    This is from the people I meet on daily basis due to work . by no means reflective of the larger economy.

It seems the recovery is not evenly spread. Can be pretty good only for selected industries while others are still doing badly or perhaps even worse. Shipping is still down, financial picking up, manufacturing depends... etc

As for job market, from my small circle of friends and associates, at least 7 of them have changed jobs in the past 12mths, some job hopped twice. But caution, relevant experience does makes all the difference.

If you are in the type of job where experience is transferable to all industries, this should be a golden period for you , HR, Accounting, supply chain etc.

2nd this comment :
    "one thing one has to bear in mind when you take that first job, and subsequent jobs, especially when you're young - it has resounding impact on the rest of your life, and that's how it is. "

Sadly it is very difficult to change jobs/industry after a few years, hurts esp if the industry is in its bust cycle & your skills are not transferable.

女怕嫁错郎,男怕入错行

my $0.02 of ramblings

It is now 10.12pm on 6 May 2010.
    The TV was on. Channel 8 news.
    Advertisement in Mandarin break just now on 10.10pm was for a certain chain of Pawn Shop.
    A local TV actress was fronting the advert.
    Heard that recently 300 new pawnshops have sprouted up.

Does that answer your question.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    It is now 10.12pm on 6 May 2010.
    The TV was on. Channel 8 news.
    Advertisement in Mandarin break just now on 10.10pm was for a certain chain of Pawn Shop.
    A local TV actress was fronting the advert.
    Heard that recently 300 new pawnshops have sprouted up.

Does that answer your question.
    I think that has everything to do with the gambling industry and nothing to do with economy.

Singapore economy is recovering?

You mean organisations like NTUC, Singtel, SMRT or ST?

From what I know, most of the SMCs are still struggling, especially after the increase of levies and CPF contribution.
    Find me beauty, find me kindness, find me truth...

Jobs are there, but no takers.
    During the KL job fair last month, RWS and the pawn shop chain was hiring like mad.

Quote Originally Posted by archlover View Post
    i think for your case,
    a company will prefer a young fresh graduate with related HR education than a experience guy who study in other line and been working as admin for years... they usually think for long term investment...
    What do you think the employer will think if the person went to take a HR course? Would he consider hiring him? If all employers think long term and get young fresh grads or FT's( who accept lower pay and younger) , then where should older people go? Wash the toliet?
    I'm here to learn.:flame:

Quote Originally Posted by cks2k2 View Post
    Jobs are there, but no takers.
    During the KL job fair last month, RWS and the pawn shop chain was hiring like mad.
    That's want they want - hire FT's - cheaper, better, faster, younger. As for Pawn shop, I don't think they need very qualified people.
    I'm here to learn.:flame:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12