Thread: Boy at the Beach

Default Boy at the Beach

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
    On the overall Composure and colour of the picture

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    I want to show that the subject is enjoying the great sun and surroundings through the picture.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken?
    I was actually taking pictures of my friends playing frisbee, and then i spot this young boy looking at my friends playing, therefore i attempted to capture down his expression.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I thought this picture was well-taken, but i wanna check if the white building at the bottom right of the picture, will it spoil the picture in anyway? Just started learning about photography close to a month.
    Last edited by angeix; 4th May 2010 at 07:05 PM.

Default Re: Boy at the Beach

You might want to resize the image to max 800 pixels on the long side. It's too huge!

1. On the overall Composure and colour of the picture
    -composition decent, colour not very interesting.
    -focus could have been more on the subject, by blurring the background with a wider aperture.
    -could have cropped closer.. the palm trees in the background alr create the holiday feel, the white building in the bottom right corner spoils it
    -would have moved so that the boys cheek isn't "squished" against the tree. If his whole head had been placed against the green leaves, it would look less awkward

2. I want to show that the subject is enjoying the great sun and surroundings through the picture.
    -see above. might have used fill flash to lighten shadows on face

4. I thought this picture was well-taken, but i wanna check if the white building at the bottom right of the picture, will it spoil the picture in anyway? Just started learning about photography close to a month.
    -yes, it does spoil the picture. watch your composition carefully
    -now, you can crop the photo into portrait form, which will also put more emph on the boy

At a glance I thot the boy was hugging the tree... do look out for the background...
    Last edited by ovaltinemilo; 4th May 2010 at 08:25 PM.
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

At first glance, I think the photo looks messy. These leaves, tree trunk, white building on the lower right are fighting to stand out. The capture of the boy's expression is good and I also think that if you crop to portrait orientation the photo will look better. I think the colours are quite good.
    Aaron Neo | flickr

Composition wise, our bros up there already comments.

This photo lack of contrast, reduce the brightness and increase the contrast a little bit should make it looks better.

Looks perfect. Good family photo.
    But no story. Nothing to grab one's attention.

Quote Originally Posted by kutten View Post
    Composition wise, our bros up there already comments.

This photo lack of contrast, reduce the brightness and increase the contrast a little bit should make it looks better.
    Ok thanks for the advice there. I'm guessing the sun had the boy's facial features blinded?

Quote Originally Posted by neon2 View Post
    At first glance, I think the photo looks messy. These leaves, tree trunk, white building on the lower right are fighting to stand out. The capture of the boy's expression is good and I also think that if you crop to portrait orientation the photo will look better. I think the colours are quite good.
    Thanks for the C&C! yea i didn't really notice how badly the tree trunk was positioned at the time of the shot and after i uploaded it =( i'll continue to work on the orientation of pictures that i take in future.

Quote Originally Posted by ovaltinemilo View Post
    At a glance I thot the boy was hugging the tree... do look out for the background...
    heh, yea... quite sick there, note taken!

Quote Originally Posted by aprilmoon92 View Post
    1. On the overall Composure and colour of the picture
    -composition decent, colour not very interesting.
    -focus could have been more on the subject, by blurring the background with a wider aperture.
    -could have cropped closer.. the palm trees in the background alr create the holiday feel, the white building in the bottom right corner spoils it
    -would have moved so that the boys cheek isn't "squished" against the tree. If his whole head had been placed against the green leaves, it would look less awkward

2. I want to show that the subject is enjoying the great sun and surroundings through the picture.
    -see above. might have used fill flash to lighten shadows on face

4. I thought this picture was well-taken, but i wanna check if the white building at the bottom right of the picture, will it spoil the picture in anyway? Just started learning about photography close to a month.
    -yes, it does spoil the picture. watch your composition carefully
    -now, you can crop the photo into portrait form, which will also put more emph on the boy
    I was using 18-200mm VR II lens =/ guess the bokeh wasn't good enough. I'll take note of the aperture. Oh i do have a picture of just him on the rock without the white building. But i guess i can't post it up.
    Ok i will try it the next time, haven't got the chance to try fill flash. Don't have much knowledge on that!

Quote Originally Posted by Eworms View Post
    Looks perfect. Good family photo.
    But no story. Nothing to grab one's attention.
    mmmmm.. You have a point there, Will take note of it. I guess every picture should always have a story behind it.

Thanks Guys for the C&Cs, will try m best to improve on the future shots. ^^

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
    On the overall Composure and colour of the picture
    composition is ok la. could be much better. i'd prefer zoom out since you wanna show the boy enjoying the surroundings.

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    I want to show that the subject is enjoying the great sun and surroundings through the picture. i think you shld include more of the surroundings? perhaps an UWA lens would have done a better job.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken?
    I was actually taking pictures of my friends playing frisbee, and then i spot this young boy looking at my friends playing, therefore i attempted to capture down his expression.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I thought this picture was well-taken, but i wanna check if the white building at the bottom right of the picture, will it spoil the picture in anyway? Just started learning about photography close to a month.[/QUOTE]

you are progressing well. keep it up!