Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Photographing girls (strangers) on the streets

Default Re: Photographing girls (strangers) on the streets

May I know what is XMM?

When i was on my overseas internship, the lecturer showed us some works of a photographer which i can't remember who. What he did was he had a tele lens set up quite some distance away and it would capture strangers along the street at a particular position. Strangely he was able to get his shots with the people looking into the lens.
    S5pro,Toki28-70,12-24,Tam17-35spoilt,70-200,SB600,800,Voigt 58F1.4,http://hensongerard.multiply.com

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    Ok, there are many reasons for girls to reject, I don't see anything wrong with that... maybe you want to reexamine how you approach your subjects.
    Just ask politely?

I think in general guys are ok with having their photos taken by strangers, whereas girls will usually decline.

make sure the girl is not busy with some serious matters
    most of the girls would reject you, but take one or two quick shots anyway, then show the images to her
    then add some small chat (about the weather or something) to show you're harmless
    always smile genuinely, not a smutty grin
    tell her you will pass the pictures to her via email, thank her politely

It works for me, and I live in HK....and I don't like shooting girls, but it's quite an experience.

Quote Originally Posted by smile_gerard View Post
    When i was on my overseas internship, the lecturer showed us some works of a photographer which i can't remember who. What he did was he had a tele lens set up quite some distance away and it would capture strangers along the street at a particular position. Strangely he was able to get his shots with the people looking into the lens.
    I think this is a result of patience and timing. However sometimes i do feel like approaching a person and getting their permission to take a photo, that way the picture will be a posed shot instead of looking candid.
    Last edited by android17; 4th May 2010 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    btw, just let you know that taking candid photos of minors without seeking permission from parents is spell disasters.
    So far i havent got any bad experience yet from parents. I took quite a number of kids playing at the fountain in bugis, as well as the top floor of vivo. I guess such places should be ok, since alot of people take photos of kids at those places.

I prefer natural shots for street photography rather than to ask the person and they pose...for this kind of photos, I'll juz go and ask my friends to pose for me..
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

Quote Originally Posted by android17 View Post
    So far i havent got any bad experience yet from parents. I took quite a number of kids playing at the fountain in bugis, as well as the top floor of vivo. I guess such places should be ok, since alot of people take photos of kids at those places.
    parents feel happy that someone is taking photos of their kids...but what does bf thinks if he sees you taking photos of his gf... anyway, juz look out for the young punks when you do so
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

I have a question... when does street photography of xmm cross the line and turn into voyeur? No offense to anyone, but I find most of the street photography involving girls(strangers) at clubsnap very uninspiring.

Can you blame anyone for not being adventurous?? Do you recall the recent news about a person claiming to be a photographer ending up being a rapist? Yes, a black sheep spoils it all for everyone, but the black sheep DOES exist nevertheless.

Also, how to trust anyone these days, especially complete strangers? What would you use the photograph for? Can one even be entrusted with their words?

If it was me, and I'm a parent of those xmms or girls, I'd say they are street smart to turn down the chance of being photographed... To be on really on the safe side!

Instead of photographing strangers, why not among friends who are photogenic? Then again, friends or not, can they trust you that you wouldn't do anything silly with the images without their prior approval? If yes, why not take that route? And request they go on their normal behaviour if you want candid shots.
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 4th May 2010 at 01:20 PM.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by valkyrie View Post
    May I know what is XMM?
    Xiao Mei Mei(little girl)

Quote Originally Posted by valkyrie View Post
    May I know what is XMM?
    Xiao Mei Mei (mandarin, literally stands for little sister) but given the context, really refering to those pretty young girls, teens reaching adulthood. AND I do not believe it covers just ANY girls of the age - as I've yet seen any laterally-challenged, plain jane, pimpled and freckled face, without a killer body figure showing up on CS so far....

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    Xiao Mei Mei (mandarin, literally stands for little sister) but given the context, really refering to those pretty young girls, teens reaching adulthood. AND I do not believe it covers just ANY girls of the age - as I've yet seen any laterally-challenged, plain jane, pimpled and freckled face, without a killer body figure showing up on CS so far....
    plainly,I feel it's a more kinky way of addressing pretty young gals...
    tt's why ppl tend to associate this to something else even though TS only wanted to do street of young gals..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

Quote Originally Posted by ovaltinemilo View Post
    plainly,I feel it's a more kinky way of addressing pretty young gals...
    tt's why ppl tend to associate this to something else even though TS only wanted to do street of young gals..
    You might as well say that it is a perversion of the meaning...

You might as well say that it is a perversion of the meaning...
    but not tt extreme tt it's perversion...but guys, don't lie to yourself or try to fool us... xmm reli targets the niche group of gals only...less those described by kriegsketten earlier on...haha...

have you found a thread named Xmm with those quality described -"laterally-challenged, plain jane, pimpled and freckled face, without a killer body figure" and get a viewing count of 3000+ in 2 days? I haven't... even if there is, i'm sure ppl will leave neg remarks coz that's not we want to see...(I am of course included, no saint either...)
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

but not tt extreme tt it's perversion...but guys, don't lie to yourself or try to fool us... xmm reli targets the niche group of gals only...less those described by kriegsketten earlier on...haha...
    Oi! Since when did I over-described beyond the call har? I said pretty youngs girls, teens reaching adulthood - I didn't mention sexily or provocatively dressed, with a certain body index okay?

[QUOTE=ovaltinemilo;6079027]have you found a thread named Xmm with those quality described -"laterally-challenged, plain jane, pimpled and freckled face, without a killer body figure" and get a viewing count of 3000+ in 2 days? I haven't... even if there is, i'm sure ppl will leave neg remarks coz that's not we want to see...(I am of course included, no saint either...)

Haiz... (shake head) AS IF you'd even bother shooting them, let alone put them up on CS for critique... - excuses excuses!

kriegsketten, my bad...my apologies...I am too influenced by my friends on the usage of the term "Xmm"

Anyway, if it's going to be good potrait tt can depict the out-goingness/friendliness of S'pore gals etc...I do think it's a good approach...but still, got to beware of punks...
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

With all these on-going ad campaign for S'pore gals, how about all those poor S'pore boys?... Now they have to compete with Ang Mohs even more! Don't forget whatever you off load on CS or the internet, they will be seen by the entire world...

Die... the local boys will have to visit the "Find-a-Vietnamese/Chinese bride" agencies liao!

"It's like can't get a good camera bargain locally? Go shopping on ebay loh!"
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 4th May 2010 at 03:48 PM.

With all these on-going ad campaign for S'pore gals, how about all those poor S'pore boys?... Now they have to compete with Ang Mohs even more! Don't forget whatever you off load on CS or the internet, they will be seen by the entire world...

Die... the local boys will have to visit the "Find-a-Vietnamese/Chinese bride" agencies liao!

"It's like can't get a good camera bargain locally? Go shopping on ebay loh!"
    On ebay, if you get a lemon, you probably will experience alot of problem compared to buying local....my advice to all gals reading......S'pore guys are as hot as you are

anyway, I always believe in the inclusive rule..to shoot all ages, all races, all genders as long as it tells something...i feel it's the mix that makes street photos interesting..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

On ebay, if you get a lemon, you probably will experience alot of problem compared to buying local....my advice to all gals reading......S'pore guys are as hot as you are

anyway, I always believe in the inclusive rule..to shoot all ages, all races, all genders as long as it tells something...i feel it's the mix that makes street photos interesting..
    True, but...

If you shoot at guys, peepz think you're a gay..
    If you shoot at mature ladies, peepz think you're a (M(eye)LF-fan).. (don't ask me what that means,plz)
    If you shoot at old men and ladies...(hmmm I suppose that's normal huh? )

Haiz, it's tough being a street photographer these days...
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 4th May 2010 at 04:22 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast