Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Nikon D90 or Eos 550D?

Default Re: Nikon D90 or Eos 550D?

Quote Originally Posted by KYFoong View Post
    It's a never ending pro and con argument. Canon vs Nikon. I have been using Nikon and I chose another Nikon because I can use many old lens (manual). Nikon has not changed the mount since introduction of SLR. There is little difference tough with the very old lens (called pre AI. These lens would be too old for most people). For this reason the range available is huge. Some very good lens are going cheap because they are manual. I do not know enough about the mount for Canon and lens adaptability.
    Couldn't agree more... And its not just that we can use old stuff, the old stuff at times can use the new stuff. My FE2 works just fine with my SB800. And their probably 20 years apart?
    S5pro,Toki28-70,12-24,Tam17-35spoilt,70-200,SB600,800,Voigt 58F1.4,http://hensongerard.multiply.com

Quote Originally Posted by smile_gerard View Post
    Don't think u read correctly... I put there

D90 = Civic Type R
    550D = Vios

Its just an exaggerated metaphor. My own weird logic
    I read u correctly.... I meant I was a D90 user but driving a Vios......

Ur metaphor is quite accurate on the camera but not D90 to the Type R, I would agree more on the Civic to a D90....

Sigh..... Maybe I should just stick to a D40
    Last edited by simmeow; 5th May 2010 at 10:02 AM.
    I have expensive camera and big lenses but don't know how to use..... Sound familar???

Quote Originally Posted by simmeow View Post

Ur metaphor is quite accurate on the camera but not D90 to the Type R, I would agree more on the Civic to a D90....

Like that if i changed the metaphor to an F22 and F16, then we would all have to be pilots
    I don't even have a car of my own. I'd happily drive a kelisa if i could lol.
    S5pro,Toki28-70,12-24,Tam17-35spoilt,70-200,SB600,800,Voigt 58F1.4,http://hensongerard.multiply.com

I don't fully agree. For the different of 100 plus dollar, the ISO control on the 550D is quite impressive. However, canon is again playing on the MP game.... offering 18MP vs 12MP on the D90.

I wonder who prints picture that big? I know I don't.....
    If by iso control you mean 12800 over 6400, then you still have to consider that the photos you get from iso 12800 are almost totally unusable, especially because more mp means more noise also.

Tsk, tsk, tsk...

Aiyah, everything KNS lah.... Go for Aigo PnS lah!

Seriously, both cams have pros and cons - list them all out and then prioritise them accordingly in a combined list with point weightage (according to your importance level) and then match it against each cam... One with the most points wins... Complicated right? right, then forget it... Just get what feels good in your hands, shoot some pix, hear the shutter sound, smell the body, shake shake a bit (just kidding), hold it and look at yourself in the mirror... if it makes you looks good and proud, that's your cam. If you STILLLLLLLLL can't decide, get both and make the retailer his day...

But SERIOUSLY, think hard and thorough... Even govt encourage voters to get into a cooling period before they decide, I can't see why not for us buyers too...
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 5th May 2010 at 12:05 PM.

check this out just for reference: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/nikon-vs-canon.htm

Type R and Vios? haha but to me, the D90 is Evo X while the 550D is Subaru STi .. both turbos !
    Think fast, aim for the best !

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Chan View Post
    check this out just for reference: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/nikon-vs-canon.htm
    Good reading, first time reading it even though I've been to his website so many times...

Coincidentally, my tastes are quite like his... I prefer Canon PnS over Nikons (tested a number of Coolpix model but haven't really found a liking to them). Whereas, I prefer Nikon's DSLR's having tested both brands as well...

I thought Nikon being such a good DSLR producer, their PnS shouldn't be too far off...but I've been proven wrong...

Choose Nikon D90. I also like this model.
    I'm here to learn.:flame:

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    Good reading, first time reading it even though I've been to his website so many times...

Coincidentally, my tastes are quite like his... I prefer Canon PnS over Nikons (tested a number of Coolpix model but haven't really found a liking to them). Whereas, I prefer Nikon's DSLR's having tested both brands as well...

I thought Nikon being such a good DSLR producer, their PnS shouldn't be too far off...but I've been proven wrong...
    i own D90 too for the same reasons.

company's focus can be different. seagate concentrate on 3.5" hdd while hitachi on 2.5".

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    If by iso control you mean 12800 over 6400, then you still have to consider that the photos you get from iso 12800 are almost totally unusable, especially because more mp means more noise also.
    The ISO 6400 on the 550D is acceptable, the 12800 usable if in the worst case scenario.

The one thing why I think both D90 and 550Ds are in the same price brackets could be this:

550D is made in Japan (higher cost) and D90 in Thailand... People tend to think since they are in the same price range then both should be direct competing models.

I'm not saying the above is true, just my two cents...

The one thing why I think both D90 and 550Ds are in the same price brackets could be this:

550D is made in Japan (higher cost) and D90 in Thailand... People tend to think since they are in the same price range then both should be direct competing models.

Probably its assembled in japan, parts from china, thailand, etc

Quote Originally Posted by smile_gerard View Post
    Probably its assembled in japan, parts from china, thailand, etc
    Probably, but i would agree the labour cost out-weigh the cost of parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey-Boy View Post
    Type R and Vios? haha but to me, the D90 is Evo X while the 550D is Subaru STi .. both turbos !
    I think we should just stick to the camera comparision...... Both cameras are good in their own class. Let the TS decide what he wants.... end of the day, nothing will be pleasing enough when you keep looking at the better models...

Just know when to stop.....

I know when..... when my wallet is empty..... hehehehehe....
    I have expensive camera and big lenses but don't know how to use..... Sound familar???

Blog Entries

I do not think they are in the same price brackets.

D5000 and the 550D are the direct competing models.

Please take the following into consideration: D90's price is recently lowered in anticipation of a new replacement model. 550D is at its most expensive now because it was just recently released.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I do not think they are in the same price brackets.

D5000 and the 550D are the direct competing models.

Please take the following into consideration: D90's price is recently lowered in anticipation of a new replacement model. 550D is at its most expensive now because it was just recently released.
    Agreed.... 550D isn't in the same class as a D90

My take - the whole issue is not about 550D vs D90 but the system you plan to buy in.

If you plan to get either with the kit lens then IMO, the difference is insignificant.

If you plan to purchase a system - a series of lenses, accessories, etc then once you commit one way or the other, you will be 'forced' to be a loyal canonite or nikonite. Unless you have money for two systems. The choice of lenses for instance will be a significant factor - eg Nikkor's 14-24 which Canon have nothing, at least for the moment, to compete. And Canon have great teles.

Next, what sort of subjects you shoot with? Sports? Motor racing? Wildlife? That is determined by the sort of lenses you need and the sort of AF system that is capable of giving you properly focused pics 9 out of 10 shots (especially for fast moving subjects). Neither the 550D or D90 has this capability.

Quote Originally Posted by twnll View Post
    My take - the whole issue is not about 550D vs D90 but the system you plan to buy in.

If you plan to get either with the kit lens then IMO, the difference is insignificant.

If you plan to purchase a system - a series of lenses, accessories, etc then once you commit one way or the other, you will be 'forced' to be a loyal canonite or nikonite. Unless you have money for two systems. The choice of lenses for instance will be a significant factor - eg Nikkor's 14-24 which Canon have nothing, at least for the moment, to compete. And Canon have great teles.

Next, what sort of subjects you shoot with? Sports? Motor racing? Wildlife? That is determined by the sort of lenses you need and the sort of AF system that is capable of giving you properly focused pics 9 out of 10 shots (especially for fast moving subjects). Neither the 550D or D90 has this capability.
    well put. in this case i think i made the right choice in the lens dept at least, body wise i still prefer nikon.

hey guys SLRR got stock for D90 just now I'm off to getting the D90 now wish me luck thx guys for all the advise out there

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast