Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Kids with high end gear

Default Re: Kids with high end gear

Quote Originally Posted by sabee View Post
    Just last week, me and my friend saw a little boy about 3 years old running around with a 1ds3 and a 70-200 f/2.8 doing street portrait, we were shocked!!!
    Oh. Then welcome to the shock family then.

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    Hi Marios,

I have a 11 year old kid, and I'll never pass him my expensive equipment especially when he's out on his own. Why? For a very simple reason - his life and safety - I'd treasure that more than any expensive equipment I own... Given his age and size, I don't think he can fend off any attackers who might eye on the equipment. It is the very same reason why old folks who were brandishing their jewelries were getting mugged in the lifts. Why put yourself into harm's way, just so you can show off your bling blings? I'd call that stupidity. Till this day, I have noticed parents who couldn't wait to buy their younglings iPhones, expensive cameras, etc etc... I'd know coz my kid would let me know as his classmates will officially announce their newly attained toys in class... I could very well do the same (it's not that I cannot afford them), but I believe in my sound reasoning. And he understands when I explained to him what I've just mentioned above. Why couldn't we wait until he's much older, what's the rush anyway?

It's okay to let him use the equipment when we're around and make sure we're in the right places... This maybe Singapore, where crime rate isn't as high as some cities or nations, BUT... there will always be those who are desperate (to pay off their debts, out of work, professional snatch thieves...) and who wouldn't think twice about taking out a machete to slash whoever's fingers just to get what they want... And REALLY... we want to afford them that chance, and put our loved ones on the line?..... May the wiser minds prevail...
    My bad my bad. What you stated is valid and it is what I practise, though I do allow my 8 year old to use my cam on and off next to me with the strap on for reasons as stated (some kids do thrive with the extra responsibility). For running around or going to school excursions.. well, he has a Canon 3.2 MP compact camera (the ones that look like a brick and you can get at CS for $50). I am willing to replace that one for the benefit of him learning photography and how to take care of his things.

Fair fair, good parenting should be as you stated, rightly put. Fingers and giggling got me off the rails in kopitiam tonight....

-- marios

Quote Originally Posted by marios_pittas View Post
    My bad my bad. What you stated is valid and it is what I practise, though I do allow my 8 year old to use my cam on and off next to me with the strap on for reasons as stated (some kids do thrive with the extra responsibility). For running around or going to school excursions.. well, he has a Canon 3.2 MP compact camera (the ones that look like a brick and you can get at CS for $50). I am willing to replace that one for the benefit of him learning photography and how to take care of his things.

Fair fair, good parenting should be as you stated, rightly put. Fingers and giggling got me off the rails in kopitiam tonight....

-- marios
    LOL, I'm very glad for you then, since you're not like those that I've mentioned. Being parents aren't easy as we always have to stay ahead of things, especially for their safety besides everything else. Anyway, mine's planning to go on a school trip overseas pretty soon. And I'm currently looking for a PnS just so he can capture the memories that he will be experiencing over there. I don't want just any PnS but something that he can really start and learn from, take reasonably good pictures, and nothing too fancy that would attract unwanted attention especially when we can't be with him overseas... Thinking of Canon Powershot A3000 IS, something small enough that he can stick into his tight pockets where ever he goes... Or maybe some of those AA types, however those can be quite bulky... Any Ideas?
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 5th May 2010 at 11:11 PM.

LOL, I'm very glad for you then, since you're not like those that I've mentioned. Being parents aren't easy as we always have to stay ahead of things, especially for their safety besides everything else. Anyway, mine's planning to go on a school trip overseas pretty soon. And I'm currently looking for a PnS just so he can capture the memories that he will be experiencing over there. I don't want just any PnS but something that he can really start and learn from, take reasonably good pictures, and nothing too fancy that would attract unwanted attention especially when we can't be with him overseas... Thinking of Canon Powershot A3000 IS, something small enough that he can stick into his tight pockets where ever he goes... Or maybe some of those AA types, however those can be quite bulky... Any Ideas?
    If you don't mind I would suggest the used market! 3.2MP cams are now at throw away prices and they have sufficient quality for web publishing pr project work.. Even 8MP's are fairly cheap, especially if you consider the how many people (on CS included) have upgraded to 10MP and 12MP pocket cameras. The thing with kiddos is that what they use might be lost, or dropped.. so as you said its more prudent to make sure that damages are manageable - especially because the next excursion is also round the corner, and their friends will have one (though at P2 they are encouraged NOT to bring a cam at their excursions).

For what is worth, I got my wife a Canon G9 for $350 from the shops, count backwards.. place models and their age, MPs, widest and longest f-length, and calculate the prices. Finding something at $100 should not be so difficult..

-- marios

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    that's my little cousin.

spank him for me the next time you see him. he stole my camera and lens, and refuses to give it back.
    LOL! haha!
    indie

If you don't mind I would suggest the used market! 3.2MP cams are now at throw away prices and they have sufficient quality for web publishing pr project work.. Even 8MP's are fairly cheap, especially if you consider the how many people (on CS included) have upgraded to 10MP and 12MP pocket cameras. The thing with kiddos is that what they use might be lost, or dropped.. so as you said its more prudent to make sure that damages are manageable - especially because the next excursion is also round the corner, and their friends will have one (though at P2 they are encouraged NOT to bring a cam at their excursions).

For what is worth, I got my wife a Canon G9 for $350 from the shops, count backwards.. place models and their age, MPs, widest and longest f-length, and calculate the prices. Finding something at $100 should not be so difficult..

-- marios
    So you think A3000 is an overkill eh? Okay, I'll look into other cheaper possibilities. I don't want to really let him have really crappy stuff (like hand-me-downs), the crappier they look the more the kids would just throw it around and not care about it (btw, some kids DO know your intentions of giving them crappy stuff...lol...much like how yours prefer larger LCDs) ... I want him to learn how to take care of something he cherishes, something he is convinced that it is worth more than a pass-around, an important lesson and responsibility in life. A camera that will be with him from now through secondary education, provided it doesn't konk out too early on its own that is. I think at his age, he'll manage to take care of his belongings, like what we've trained him to do since little... Spending little more for that extra lesson in handling responsibilities maybe worth a try. But DEFINITELY not a high-end model just so he can flash it around...

Think of it this way, it makes no difference if you keep buying $50 cameras after they keep breaking down.... repeat that 3 to 4 times, adding all that up is probably worth a good low-end beginner model that he will take care of it even more...

But thanks for your suggestion nevertheless, if I do find a piece (second hands) worth picking up, I'll go for it. I just hate the hassle of it breaking down weeks after you've gotten it. LOL
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 5th May 2010 at 11:54 PM.

If Canon 1Ds mkIV is available, I'll get it for my 12 yr old son and put tremendous pressure on him to excel and deliver. Tell him that's one of the best around and I'm sure he will be pressured to learn well and fast !

that's my little cousin.

spank him for me the next time you see him. he stole my camera and lens, and refuses to give it back.
    night86mare is a closet canonian

So you think A3000 is an overkill eh? Okay, I'll look into other cheaper possibilities. I don't want to really let him have really crappy stuff (like hand-me-downs), the crappier they look the more the kids would just throw it around and not care about it (btw, some kids DO know your intentions of giving them crappy stuff...lol...much like how yours prefer larger LCDs) ... I want him to learn how to take care of something he cherishes, something he is convinced that it is worth more than a pass-around, an important lesson and responsibility in life. A camera that will be with him from now through secondary education, provided it doesn't konk out too early on its own that is. I think at his age, he'll manage to take care of his belongings, like what we've trained him to do since little... Spending little more for that extra lesson in handling responsibilities maybe worth a try. But DEFINITELY not a high-end model just so he can flash it around...

Think of it this way, it makes no difference if you keep buying $50 cameras after they keep breaking down.... repeat that 3 to 4 times, adding all that up is probably worth a good low-end beginner model that he will take care of it even more...

But thanks for your suggestion nevertheless, if I do find a piece (second hands) worth picking up, I'll go for it. I just hate the hassle of it breaking down weeks after you've gotten it. LOL
    To paint the picture a bit more completely, (though I am not sure whether this is related to this initial discussion), BUT, a fair number of adults and youngsters, buy cameras (camera equipment in general) that they never use. E.g. Nikon D3X 9 months old, with 2,400 pictures taken, spend all its life in a shop and sold because owner decided to move to a bigger camera?? Fact. "New" or "Like New", you decide You will be surprised how many people buy cameras, hardly use them and simply sell them off just to upgrade to the newest and latest (see, its not just youngsters that pamper themselves with the newest and latest).

The second hand market is worth if you consider that for the last 2~3 years cameras have more than enough MP and functionality for the average photographer. What is new, is thrills such as HD video etc which we never had on our first camera.

Mine was Kodak 110 Instamatic See wikipedia's reference (and yes, I did use the flash cubes!). What was yours?

Quote Originally Posted by kuanwk View Post
    night86mare is a closet canonian
    Outside the closet he's a nikonian though.

on a random note

But seriously, I'm twenty odd now and I've started shooting with SLRs since I was 12. At that point SLR cameras did not come cheap and you would have to factor in cost of film developing and lens too. I would say that owning a SLR at that time really developed my interest in photography.

To paint the picture a bit more completely, (though I am not sure whether this is related to this initial discussion), BUT, a fair number of adults and youngsters, buy cameras (camera equipment in general) that they never use. E.g. Nikon D3X 9 months old, with 2,400 pictures taken, spend all its life in a shop and sold because owner decided to move to a bigger camera?? Fact. "New" or "Like New", you decide You will be surprised how many people buy cameras, hardly use them and simply sell them off just to upgrade to the newest and latest (see, its not just youngsters that pamper themselves with the newest and latest).

The second hand market is worth if you consider that for the last 2~3 years cameras have more than enough MP and functionality for the average photographer. What is new, is thrills such as HD video etc which we never had on our first camera.

Mine was Kodak 110 Instamatic See wikipedia's reference (and yes, I did use the flash cubes!). What was yours?
    Hi Marios, not to worry, this is Kopitiam, where one has the license to go OT!

I see your point, and will look around hard. Time is running out for me though, I need it within a week or so (I want him to get used to it first) as he's leaving by the end of this month...

As for my first cam? Can't remember, probably some cheapo film PnS. My family wasn't into capturing serious images - it was more of a need-to-basis than want. I guess you're a lot luckier than me, huh?

qatar schoolboy with a d3s and 24-70 and he just picked up photography 3 months ago........

Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon View Post

qatar schoolboy with a d3s and 24-70 and he just picked up photography 3 months ago........
    I'm sure that's a pretty comon sight in their region. And maybe Singapore is rising to that standard as well...

that's my little cousin.

MUHAAHAHHAHAHA!

this kid looked no more than 10 years old...using a 7D + 24-105

eat. drink. shoot

i'm guilty of feeling sour when i see people who are younger than me owning much better gears than i do

but i guess it's my own problem of feeling inferior , and perhaps inferiority complex

incident #1
    i was at marina area the other day
    i don't have a tripod, so i used my blower, my 500D manual, and a few concrete poles around as a tripod, i even placed my camera by the edge of the river to take a shot of MBS. i took 45mins to finish what i started, in that span of 45mins, 4 or 5 photographers with tripod has already stop-shoot-go.

incident #2
    was shooting the YOG, they came to my school for a torch relay ceremony
    as i take shots of the cheerleaders and the surroundings with my 55~250mm +500D, i see some (in fact a few) secondary school kids with L lenses, battery grip, a external flash probably (580exII due to its size)

Incident #3
    esplanade
    they have free performances in its lobby on weekends pretty often. was using my 55~250mm as i didn't want to block the crowd's view (quite alot of people that day). i was trying hard to get the settings right, but sometimes f5.6 is just too small for that lighting... and at 250mm i was using shutter speeds like 1/80. i resorted to iso 3200 and using my pop-up flash at settings +2. got what i one, and then some young kid beside me took out his 70~200 f2.8 and an external flash....... and i instantly emo-ed

well.... i think it's pretty normal to feel this way
    what matter most is that it doesn't distract you from what you are doing (i am trying very hard not to), and just enjoy photography, as a form of art and expression

perhaps i might even learn something through these limitations
    someone once told me that you should stick to a prime lens when you just started out, so that through the limitations of the fix focal length, you'll learn to appreciate angle and perspective
    Last edited by renzokuken; 27th August 2010 at 01:40 PM.
    For passion or prestige? A trend or a niche?

Cameras? High end? *pfft*

I know of CPL NSF who drives a Porsche Cayenne to camp every day. And many more in their early 20s driving Audis and Mercs and the occasional supercar.

But is okay lah. Doesn't affect my happiness.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Why cant kids USE high end cameras?

If they are on their own then its a safety concern but if their parents or older siblings are around, why not?

When I go out shooting wit my kids, I let them use my backups so that they fight over the use of my camera. My son was able to hand held a 40D with 400f5.6L when he was 7yr old.

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar View Post
    this kid looked no more than 10 years old...using a 7D + 24-105
    yo! last time you also like that what, now you older liao, can say someone younger than you izzt?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast