Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4789

Thread: Financial advice .

Blog Entries

Default Re: Financial advice .

This post is more about you trying to find ways to make money, and less about photography.

Please move this thread to kopitiam or close it here.

On a side note: TS, it is my strong opinion that no one is born a good student. We all worked our behinds off to get there. Sounds to me you have given up before you started. Actually, it is not you cannot, but you seem to lack any motivation to try.

You can have all the hobbies now. But without a sound education, life can get very tough down the road. And more so in this day and edge, where getting successful is less and less a matter of luck due to the current business environment. i really hope you know what you are doing.

If you want my advise? Study hard, work hard as well. You can put effort into making money to buy stuff to supplement your cravings in your hobbies. But if you put 100% into your hobby, you need to put 150% into your studies.

But then again, your generation probably call my generation old farts anyway. So to listen or not, is totally up to you. In the end, it is your life.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    This post is more about you trying to find ways to make money, and less about photography.

On a side note: TS, it is my strong opinion that no one is born a good student. We all worked our behinds off to get there. Sounds to me you have given up before you started. Actually, it is not you cannot, but you seem to lack any motivation to try.

You can have all the hobbies now. But without a sound education, life can get very tough down the road. And more so in this day and edge, where getting successful is less and less a matter of luck due to the current business environment. i really hope you know what you are doing.

If you want my advise? Study hard, work hard as well. You can put effort into making money to buy stuff to supplement your cravings in your hobbies. But if you put 100% into your hobby, you need to put 150% into your studies.

But then again, your generation probably call my generation old farts anyway. So to listen or not, is totally up to you. In the end, it is your life.
    and its not easy. sec 2 getting work, at most is light labour and during june hols. pick the best and most feasible way taht requires least effort to get ur results. dun risk ur studies. risk taking and decision making skills are important. pure hard work wont get u anywhere if u cant weigh decisions

all and all, I dun encourage indulging in a hobby and neglect what TS is supposed to do full-time...
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

I believe the good fellas here have already provided very good advice, I too believe TS should really concentrate on your studies first. Because no study = less chance of getting a good job = less $$$ = less $$$ to spend on hobbies, or in fact anything else. If you are really into photography, you should really consider this as a motivation to do well.

You mentioned that you have on this hobby for only a year, I would think that there's still a lot of things you could try out on your existing lenses to brush up on your skills. Who knows maybe you could enter some competitions and earn some price money.

Lastly, if you really want to find a holiday job, then go about it. The longer you spend thinking, the less likely that you are actually going to do anything about it. There's no easy money, if want $$$ then you have to work for it. Even at the end of the day, you dun earn a lot, the satisfaction of earning your own money is priceless.

I just took up photography. And i just ORD-ed. I'm looking to fill my few months before Uni by learning stuff and getting paid. So i stumbled on this thread. was wondering if you guys would recommand me something like what you all are talking about?

assistant photographer or backup photographer. no photoshop skills & no portfolio. what pay should i be looking at? i've seen u all mention $20/hr - $50/hr?

My equipment:
    Canon 550d
    Canon 18-135
    Canon 50mm f1.8 II
    430ex II
    Velbon travel tripod (so its easy to bring out on a normal day and for overseas)
    Flickr
    Canon 7D | 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | 430EX II

Quote Originally Posted by yinsheng View Post
    I just took up photography. And i just ORD-ed. I'm looking to fill my few months before Uni by learning stuff and getting paid. So i stumbled on this thread. was wondering if you guys would recommand me something like what you all are talking about?

assistant photographer or backup photographer. no photoshop skills & no portfolio. what pay should i be looking at? i've seen u all mention $20/hr - $50/hr?

My equipment:
    Canon 550d
    Canon 18-135
    Canon 50mm f1.8 II
    430ex II
    Velbon travel tripod (so its easy to bring out on a normal day and for overseas)
    Your question has been answered.

Quote Originally Posted by lamergod View Post
    Your question has been answered.
    where? sorry. lol

so those 2 positions are fine?

20 - 50 is a big gap seriously. lol.
    Last edited by yinsheng; 5th May 2010 at 02:02 PM.
    Flickr

where? sorry. lol

so those 2 positions are fine?

20 - 50 is a big gap seriously. lol.
    Look at the bold part

Build up your portfolio. I'm not sure where to start for events cos I don't shoot events

Clear your June holiday calender. How many of those activities you lined up are really that important that you MUST go?

Go find a part time job(Yoshinoya pays $4 and hires 14 year olds, I should know, I once worked there, got my fricking amazing sony MP3 player with my first pay check). IIRC the law allows 13 year olds and above to work provided that employers obey a law that prevents them from overworking/exploiting you.

6 day week, 9-7 for 4 weeks.

I can assure you, you can get a 50/1.8 with prolly enough leftover for a 35/1.8

Whether you want to do it however... is another question.

so i build my portfolio through a webby? or better to do an album? album u all use print on 4R or what?
    Flickr

on one hand i would agree advice seems logically. but i believe in being an all-rounded. that is you can be good at studies and your hobbies or sports at same time.

one of the most important rule in life is to do everything in moderation. if you find your hobbies are affecting your studies, then it is a good sign you will need to cut down on your hobby and spend more time on studies. so there is nothing wrong with pursing your hobby. just need to balance it out with your studies.

so i build my portfolio through a webby? or better to do an album? album u all use print on 4R or what?
    A webby . My personal recommendation is use your own domain . But if you want simple portfolio , try fotologue . If you want picture blogging , can try tumblr .
    NIKON D90 | NIKKOR 35mm F/1.8G | NIKKOR 50mm F/1.8D | TOKINA 11-16mm F/2.8

Is worrying that thesedays i see more and more posting on ppl wanting to become a photographer to make a living. and the most impt part is i am starting to see more schooling teens...

Is not a bad thing to be a photographer but i think at such young age , you really don't know what these full time ppl go thru. Pls study hard and don't over indulge in your hobby. It could be just a temp hype. as much as education will not guarantee your success in life but it is sthg to safe guard yourself. what you need is not financial advise TS. What you need is to get back to reality...

Quote Originally Posted by iMac08 View Post

Is worrying that thesedays i see more and more posting on ppl wanting to become a photographer to make a living. and the most impt part is i am starting to see more schooling teens...

Is not a bad thing to be a photographer but i think at such young age , you really don't know what these full time ppl go thru. Pls study hard and don't over indulge in your hobby. It could be just a temp hype. as much as education will not guarantee your success in life but it is sthg to safe guard yourself. what you need is not financial advise TS. What you need is to get back to reality...
    I'm not making a living . I'm looking for ways to fund my interest . If I can make a living from it , then study for what ? I can become cs boss , ask all of you take photo for me . Muhahaha , but thts not what I'm looking at .
    NIKON D90 | NIKKOR 35mm F/1.8G | NIKKOR 50mm F/1.8D | TOKINA 11-16mm F/2.8

You can have a room with 10s and 100s of walls each with a picture pasted to it I don't care.

What matters here is the picture. Try fotologue. I use it. You can check out my at the link at my signature. But one thing bout fotologue is that if you post horizontal images, it becomes blur.

Anyway back to topic guys!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon View Post
    on one hand i would agree advice seems logically. but i believe in being an all-rounded. that is you can be good at studies and your hobbies or sports at same time.

one of the most important rule in life is to do everything in moderation. if you find your hobbies are affecting your studies, then it is a good sign you will need to cut down on your hobby and spend more time on studies. so there is nothing wrong with pursing your hobby. just need to balance it out with your studies.
    All rounded is good. But when studies is not first priority (like what I sense here), then it is all for naught, don't you think?

Core competence is important. Get your main job done ok, if not, don't even think about ECA and hobbies.

Blog Entries

All rounded is good. But when studies is not first priority (like what I sense here), then it is all for naught, don't you think?

Core competence is important. Get your main job done ok, if not, don't even think about ECA and hobbies.
    waaaa. can sense ur age liao. ECA has been abolished for 10 years at least

Quote Originally Posted by loozhengyuan View Post
    I'm not making a living . I'm looking for ways to fund my interest . If I can make a living from it , then study for what ? I can become cs boss , ask all of you take photo for me . Muhahaha , but thts not what I'm looking at .
    That's kinda rude. Then focus on your studies and not be distracted by your hobby. Of course if you are a all rounded then by all means work to fund your hobby and score your Aces for your studies.

When u get a well paying job you wont need to think how to fund but what to buy instead.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4789