Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Financial advice .

Default Re: Financial advice .

Quote Originally Posted by loozhengyuan View Post
    Well maybe seems so . But I felt a tinge of discomfort seeing his last two posts like underestimating me . Well maybe I'm all wrong . Sorry for the earlier post . I'm not into istock or backup . Now I just want to get a prime , that's all . And I have a list of suggestions from all of you . Thank you .
    What I used to do for extra toys when I was studying, was to put up all my exam/test scores to my parents. I usually do well (many As )

Then I tell them, I want a ### item (be reasonable lah.. maybe few hundred). They will usually say ok, but only if results improve to *** (A with stars flying all over). I get my toy if my results become spectacular. And till today I am quite thankful for this twisted form of motivation.

Might work if your parents are fairly well to do and you are motivated to study really hard to get results
    Like my parents say, a student's job is to study.....
    Last edited by driveanegg; 3rd May 2010 at 10:57 PM.
    I probably collect lenses more than I take pictures
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/33270154@N03/

Quote Originally Posted by driveanegg View Post
    To TS
    If you need $$ to finance the hobby, easiest way as a student is actually to spend less rather than to try to earn it by various ways.

Eating 1 fast food meal less a week can save you $30 a month (at least). Eating 1 meal less at some mid price HK coffee place or Swensens saves $20. Expenditure like that stacks up rapidly , faster than anyone notices.

Like your thread says you dont have experience. Why not spend time trying to shoot more pictures to expand your portfolio ?? Instead of working for $$, you could do what a certain goat does. Wake up really early, or camp overnight, stay somewhere to get great pictures of sunrise/sunsets. Work on composition and PP techniques. Shoot events for school clubs. Learn more about your existing equipment rather than moan about how great life will be with the equipment you do not yet own.

Sorry for the rambling ....
    yeah I just thought so too .
    NIKON D90 | NIKKOR 35mm F/1.8G | NIKKOR 50mm F/1.8D | TOKINA 11-16mm F/2.8

What I used to do for extra toys when I was studying, was to put up all my exam/test scores to my parents. I usually do well (many As )

Then I tell them, I want a ### item (be reasonable lah.. maybe few hundred). They will usually say ok, but only if results improve to *** (A with stars flying all over). I get my toy if my results become spectacular. And till today I am quite thankful for this twisted form of motivation.

Might work if your parents are fairly well to do and you are motivated to study really hard to get results
    Like my parents say, a student's job is to study.....
    My parents keep giving empty promises , so this don't work . Now I beg , still work abit . But I rather earn and buy myself , so that wun paiseh mah .

The main pillars of sound financial planning include saving, investing with a suitable time frame, taking reasonable risks. 1 pillar is that of expense control which is absolutely critical.

Cheers!! You will get the 50mm prime one day!!
    I probably collect lenses more than I take pictures
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/33270154@N03/

I am a sec2 student , which is currently into photography . I just got to it a year ago , and still learning much . However , im constantly grounded by my financial limits at this age to equip myself with better lens and stuff . Most of these stuffs came from my savings and my parents money .

My aim of this post is to enquire if i am able to do a photography service during the upcoming June holidays . This money earned will greatly benefit me , and also to bring more lens and accessories to my gear list . I want to know what jobs is eligible for me this age , and given the following equipments , so i can earn something decent and build up my portfolio (which is now empty other than my random shots) .

NIKON D90
    NIKKOR 18-200mm VR2
    MANFROTTO 190XPROB + 804RC2

I hope you people are able to assist me the right way to head . Thanks in advance . Cheers .
    If you don't mind some frank comments, my advice is that you should concentrate on your study. You're only Sec 2. Study hard, do well in your exams, get into university and obtain a good degree. With a good job you'll be able to afford all the gears you want in no time. Without that you won't be able afford anything. There might be some professional photographers who had made it good, but there are also a lot more who don't. Keep your photography hobby no more than a hobby. Meanwhile, do some part time jobs during your spare time if you need the money to finance your interest, but that should be done without affecting your studies. There is nothing wrong working part time in Mac. Working 8 hrs a day in Mac for 10 days, $4.50/hr, and you can already get $360, $60 more than your target. And there is also nothing wrong with buying used gears either. I earn quite a decent income and yet most of my gears are bought used.

The main pillars of sound financial planning include saving, investing with a suitable time frame, taking reasonable risks. 1 pillar is that of expense control which is absolutely critical.

Cheers!! You will get the 50mm prime one day!!
    I am expecting it's arrival .

Quote Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
    If you don't mind some frank comments, my advice is that you should concentrate on your study. You're only Sec 2. Study hard, do well in your exams, get into university and obtain a good degree. With a good job you'll be able to afford all the gears you want in no time. Without that you won't be able afford anything. There might be some professional photographers who had made it good, but there are also a lot more who don't. Keep your photography hobby no more than a hobby. Meanwhile, do some part time jobs during your spare time if you need the money to finance your interest, but that should be done without affecting your studies. There is nothing wrong working part time in Mac. Working 8 hrs a day in Mac for 10 days, $4.50/hr, and you can already get $360, $60 more than your target. And there is also nothing wrong with buying used gears either. I earn quite a decent income and yet most of my gears are bought used.
    My academic standard can't get to uni . The most is alevel only . Yeah mac is another choice .

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    never ever get from those places. no matter wad price they charge its more ex than ur usual cathay, ms color and op.

i can get a 500d kit for 200 bucks less at ms color than canon or any of the abv.
    this is irrelevant, never mentioned about buying from them just suggesting to TS on a possible position he can look for if he is interested...and offering technical advice to ppl who still end up buying from them..
    Nikonian!
    ~Jon's~

Your words are very informative . But it gets very contradicting and somewhat insulting . I sign up with Istock when I read about in scottkelby book . I have no interest at this point because I'm just a student . So if istock take years to gimme money , then I'll get my prime when It comes ? I agreed with the earlier few posts . We have the same surname , can you please be more friendly ? Thanks .
    having same surname will not gain any favor, I will share with people who willing to learn.

most stock agencies will pay you once you earn US$50, for a beginner, the loyalty is at the lowest level, so if an image being download you earn US$0.25, you need more than 200 downloads, that translates you need a few months with some salable images to earn your first pay cheque.

but stock image agencies are not only looking for technically perfect images, it has to be salable images too, and istock is the most strictest,

many stock image shooters are already competent photographers, why don't you concentrate learning how to produce decent images first?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    having same surname will not gain any favor, I will share with people who willing to learn.

most stock agencies will pay you once you earn US$50, for a beginner, the loyalty is at the lowest level, so if an image being download you earn US$0.25, you need more than 200 downloads, that translates you need a few months with some salable images to earn your first pay cheque.

but stock image agencies are not only looking for technically perfect images, it has to be salable images too, and istock is the most strictest,

many stock image shooters are already competent photographers, why don't you concentrate learning how to produce decent images first?
    You've got a point there . I dunno if I misunderstand you again , but I'm just hoping to get a prime then go on to master the technique of it .

Blog Entries

Well maybe seems so . But I felt a tinge of discomfort seeing his last two posts like underestimating me . Well maybe I'm all wrong . Sorry for the earlier post . I'm not into istock or backup . Now I just want to get a prime , that's all . And I have a list of suggestions from all of you . Thank you .
    nah. he wasnt underestimating anyone lar. we always like to sound like we more pro. occupational hazard

i suggest u save up money too. i save 4 bucks a day, spending only 3 bucks. one week 20, one month 80

80 i can get new bag, more lights, reflectors, etc etc

Blog Entries

You've got a point there . I dunno if I misunderstand you again , but I'm just hoping to get a prime then go on to master the technique of it .
    there is no such thing as master technique of it AFTER a prime.

primes are just lenses that u cant zoom. since u already got 18-200 i suggest u play till it breaks.

i broke my prime and my camera by using it too much sent to canon for servicing hehe. only 7 bucks cause of warranty.

but honestly, i use my 17-50, 55-250 more than prime.
    and u will too

Hello, i'm just 2 year older than you , i'm also finding ways to get my toys but its not simple just don't give up eh. Anyway back to the topic, Why not you post some of your pictures here? I'm fairly sure, CS korkors or zhe zhe will comment and give you some good suggestion eh than you will know whether if your good.

Cheers!
    Thinkhappy is here!
    http://thinkhappy-shutter.tumblr.com/

Generally, I think it is good for youth like him trying to earn his own money to sustain his hobby. I am all for him to go and try it out. Only after that, he would be more stable ( not mature yet ) to draw some conclusion.
    It is just gonna be like the many recruits who'd been just enlisted into NS.

My academic standard can't get to uni . The most is alevel only . Yeah mac is another choice .
    hmm.. you do realise that A level qualifications wouldn't get you much, unless you progress to a degree from it?

For all the apparent headache and heartache, do you really need to spend on new gears, or would it be better you brush up your skills using your existing ones?

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    hmm.. you do realise that A level qualifications wouldn't get you much, unless you progress to a degree from it?

For all the apparent headache and heartache, do you really need to spend on new gears, or would it be better you brush up your skills using your existing ones?
    this is one of the greatest quest in photography, only few can understand truthfully and follow it thru faithfully.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tanjonhan View Post
    this is irrelevant, never mentioned about buying from them just suggesting to TS on a possible position he can look for if he is interested...and offering technical advice to ppl who still end up buying from them..
    no its not. i'm helping save by getting frmo the right places!
    200 bucks is a lot i got mine from ms color through a old photographer so shop even absorbed the 7% gst. great when u got ties to pull

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post

yep. no one wants jc students. jc students are just shortcutters to uni. if u dun go to uni ur pretty much screwed. its double bad for ip students cause we fail means back to psle.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    this is one of the greatest quest in photography, only few can understand truthfully and follow it thru faithfully.
    and a nice good morning to u and yes tats a very nice quote there (:

when i was a student, i had no money but was interested in photography. so i build my own pin-hole camera and lens.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast