Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Financial advice .

Deregistered

Default Re: Financial advice .

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    YES. poor me. bo bian wad. dad owns the company. drags me in and pays me 20 bucks a day

so far i been painting walls, doing skirting, plastering walls, fixing toiletbowls (yes i can even cement it to the ground and install it nice), drill cut chop hammer smash glue break bash.

on the plus side, i get time off to go sch as and when i need to during the hols
    Tell your dad to increase your pay to $50 a day

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cleonbus View Post
    Tell your dad to increase your pay to $50 a day
    not possible haha. either way i also dun wanna ask bah. ownself ppl just coffee money can liao.

not possible haha. either way i also dun wanna ask bah. ownself ppl just coffee money can liao.
    just display some of your best works in photo prints in your room, and place some Canon lenses catalogue casually in your living room. see anything will happen soon or not...
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    I'm saying what can you offer yourself as a backup photographer?
    Nice shots ? I seriously have no idea because I am still not yet into taking it . I haven't experience one , it's hard to tell .
    NIKON D90 | NIKKOR 35mm F/1.8G | NIKKOR 50mm F/1.8D | TOKINA 11-16mm F/2.8

and i agree with him. no point joining the buy buy buy craze. i know u see ppl with L lens danm sexy. but point being is i dun need an L lens to shoot photographs. neither do u. u have a versatile lens covering a good range. as to being backup photographer, i do not think ur equipment can keep up. most of them are using really fast lenses and even faster bodies. its hard to keep up.

just start slow. there are gazlions of stuff to do. dun turn something u like into work and eventually hate it. cause its not easy.

oh yes. learn photoshop. u need it.
    All I want is do have the money to buy a 50mm and a flash . You think until so far ? I can buy a prime by June , I'll treat it as a bonus then .

just display some of your best works in photo prints in your room, and place some Canon lenses catalogue casually in your living room. see anything will happen soon or not...
    You're using The Secret ah , HAHA !

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by loozhengyuan View Post
    All I want is do have the money to buy a 50mm and a flash . You think until so far ? I can buy a prime by June , I'll treat it as a bonus then .
    k i help u approximate. 500 bucks?

do part time jobs. its faster. i wasnt thinkign far lar. i just was like u at a certain point in time. i believe my old thread still exists.
    i believe being backup photographer means:

what kind of photos can u tackle and can u pick up the stuffs that i could had left out during events?
    is ur quality of photos (aka composition, exposure, color balance) up to standard?
    do u have the stamina and the equipment to keep up with me?
    and last but not least, are u gonna help with post processing
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 3rd May 2010 at 09:12 PM.

Now I just want to get a prime . 300bucks max .

Blog Entries

Now I just want to get a prime . 300bucks max .
    yea. wad prime? 50mm f1.8? its only 100 plus if u get from the right places. dun need first hand. get from ms color also can.

yea. wad prime? 50mm f1.8? its only 100 plus if u get from the right places. dun need first hand. get from ms color also can.
    I prefer a first hand one , a calmer state of mind . Err the remaining money used for hood and uv filter ? I dunno got such thing or not ? Oh and the reverse ring too .

Nice shots ? I seriously have no idea because I am still not yet into taking it . I haven't experience one , it's hard to tell .
    than why should a photographer hire you?

pay you money and teach you learn from zero?

than why should a photographer hire you?

pay you money and teach you learn from zero?
    I heard from others that it's gonna be hard . So I decided not to do that anymore . I would rather spent time on better things .

What you say is very true . I try to find photog jobs because they pay better than mac's 4.50/hr . And that my june hols are semi-filled . I want to look for something thats freelance , something that pay when i have nothing better to do .
    Photog jobs may pay better per hour, but assistant / 2nd photog jobs do not last the whole day..2-3 hrs? not everyday can you find a 5-6 hr job. To find a few in a month, tt's over estimating it..

I am sure you would be more concern about earning enough rather than how much you are earning per hour..? the fact is, the better paid/hr the harder it is to get...

Do not have to restrict yourself to macs where u need to commit more time over a longer period. Dun torture yourself to distribute flyers, they are not worth it anymore..

Try looking out for warehouse sales and stuff, like John Little / Metro, those tt take place for a few days @ expo ....roadshows / fairs...theres a PC show from 10-13th june...you could try looking out 2 weeks before the fair on newspapers for ads looking for part time workers...if u wanna do something related to photography maybe u can try looking for camera sales man jobs (haha)...could give ppl useful advice...definitely many many potential short term jobs to look for in june...these in my view are more viable options you may wanna consider...possible to hit your $300 target..
    Nikonian!
    ~Jon's~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tanjonhan View Post
    Photog jobs may pay better per hour, but assistant / 2nd photog jobs do not last the whole day..2-3 hrs? not everyday can you find a 5-6 hr job. To find a few in a month, tt's over estimating it..

I am sure you would be more concern about earning enough rather than how much you are earning per hour..? the fact is, the better paid/hr the harder it is to get...

Do not have to restrict yourself to macs where u need to commit more time over a longer period. Dun torture yourself to distribute flyers, they are not worth it anymore..

Try looking out for warehouse sales and stuff, like John Little / Metro, those tt take place for a few days @ expo ....roadshows / fairs...theres a PC show from 10-13th june...you could try looking out 2 weeks before the fair on newspapers for ads looking for part time workers...if u wanna do something related to photography maybe u can try looking for camera sales man jobs (haha)...could give ppl useful advice...definitely many many potential short term jobs to look for in june...these in my view are more viable options you may wanna consider...possible to hit your $300 target..

never ever get from those places. no matter wad price they charge its more ex than ur usual cathay, ms color and op.

i can get a 500d kit for 200 bucks less at ms color than canon or any of the abv.

I heard from others that it's gonna be hard . So I decided not to do that anymore . I would rather spent time on better things .
    there is nothing easy in life, all is about hardwork.

there are many "jobs" seem very easy to make money, all people will rush into it with no time wasted, but they soon realize need to put in a lot of efforts to see results after some time, so they left the job with same speed when they get into it. you are just like them.

I'm not surprise you only sign up with istock yesterday, do you know those people make money from stock images had put in a lot of efforts?

I doubt you will be willing to put some efforts in this for a few years? anyway, let see whether you able to get your images pass the initial test first.

Blog Entries

Your words are very informative . But it gets very contradicting and somewhat insulting . I sign up with Istock when I read about in scottkelby book . I have no interest at this point because I'm just a student . So if istock take years to gimme money , then I'll get my prime when It comes ? I agreed with the earlier few posts . We have the same surname , can you please be more friendly ? Thanks .
    u misunderstand him. he didnt say anything abt taking years for ur money. he is saying he is worried abt ur passion, and ur technical skills. stock photography isnt as easy as u seem, even if scott kelby makes stuff seem like easy.

i had experience in multimedia industry for over 10 years, working with both mediacorp as cca and visiting real equipped studios for pet photography ( i was helping wiht some digital imaging), also as currently in charge of the young asian leaders camp photography.

it is not easy to juggle photo as hobby and work. just start saving money and u will get htere.

and really. u shld apologise to catchlights. he didnt say anything that u thoguht he said. u misread his words. he is afterall a working professional in this industry and his words have weight. take it with a pinch of salt. even now i still dun move out and try stock photography. its not easy.

i believe what he meant is for u to think it through throughly before making decisions. is a prime really needed? why is it needed. why nto a flash? how long does it take to save up? what is the cost of ur prime? how to get the money and wad is the predicted time. slowly think.
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 3rd May 2010 at 10:49 PM.

Brother loozhengyuan...you are lucky to get such a good advise from the grandmaster of photography in this forum. Usually there is no such thing as easy money. Get a dslr and start shooting then get money to buy 50mm prime or flash? I shoot until my flash blow and still cannot get my photos in istock. Your gears are already very good. Go out and practice more. There are plenty of time to earn money to buy stuff. How about washing your dad's car to earn money. My grandson earns $10 from me everytime he washes my car.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

To TS
    If you need $$ to finance the hobby, easiest way as a student is actually to spend less rather than to try to earn it by various ways.

Eating 1 fast food meal less a week can save you $30 a month (at least). Eating 1 meal less at some mid price HK coffee place or Swensens saves $20. Expenditure like that stacks up rapidly , faster than anyone notices.

Like your thread says you dont have experience. Why not spend time trying to shoot more pictures to expand your portfolio ?? Instead of working for $$, you could do what a certain goat does. Wake up really early, or camp overnight, stay somewhere to get great pictures of sunrise/sunsets. Work on composition and PP techniques. Shoot events for school clubs. Learn more about your existing equipment rather than moan about how great life will be with the equipment you do not yet own.

Sorry for the rambling ....
    I probably collect lenses more than I take pictures
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/33270154@N03/

u misunderstand him. he didnt say anything abt taking years for ur money. he is saying he is worried abt ur passion, and ur technical skills. stock photography isnt as easy as u seem, even if scott kelby makes stuff seem like easy.

i had experience in multimedia industry for over 10 years, working with both mediacorp as cca and visiting real equipped studios for pet photography ( i was helping wiht some digital imaging), also as currently in charge of the young asian leaders camp photography.

it is not easy to juggle photo as hobby and work. just start saving money and u will get htere.

and really. u shld apologise to catchlights. he didnt say anything that u thoguht he said. u misread his words.
    Well maybe seems so . But I felt a tinge of discomfort seeing his last two posts like underestimating me . Well maybe I'm all wrong . Sorry for the earlier post . I'm not into istock or backup . Now I just want to get a prime , that's all . And I have a list of suggestions from all of you . Thank you .

Quote Originally Posted by hotwork77 View Post
    Brother loozhengyuan...you are lucky to get such a good advise from the grandmaster of photography in this forum. Usually there is no such thing as easy money. Get a dslr and start shooting then get money to buy 50mm prime or flash? I shoot until my flash blow and still cannot get my photos in istock. Your gears are already very good. Go out and practice more. There are plenty of time to earn money to buy stuff. How about washing your dad's car to earn money. My grandson earns $10 from me everytime he washes my car.
    I feel enough of taking my parents money and want to feel the hard way of earning it . So I wanted to do something out of it . And I apologised to cl already .

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast