Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: buy new dslr

Blog Entries

Default Re: buy new dslr

Quote Originally Posted by cleonbus View Post
    LOL as if you are TS's family.Why must TS buy a 24-70 or 24-105 for you?
    He can always wish, hope and dream mah....

Quote Originally Posted by leowyien View Post
    BUDGET 5K????!!!!! OMG!!! RICH SIA...

Anyway, since you're juz starting out, take a 500D/550D and grab yourself a 24-70mm f/2.8L (its sharp)
    A 70-200mm F/2.8/f4L Is Good combination to the 24-70.

And if you still hv the money, can buy for me the 24-70/24-105? I would greatly appreciate the help.
    If I'm a landscape shooter, I would be very stupid to buy a crop-factor camera and a lens which is 24mm at its widest. And an expensive lens at that...
    Exploring! :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    If I'm a landscape shooter, I would be very stupid to buy a crop-factor camera and a lens which is 24mm at its widest. And an expensive lens at that...
    If he is a XMM shooter, then ok mah. Stupid or not (to be shooting XMM), up to the individual..

but i cannot refer to the 24-70L as a XMM lens, otherwise a lot of ppl will be angry!

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    If he is a XMM shooter, then ok mah. Stupid or not (to be shooting XMM), up to the individual..
    He is a XDD to begin with .....

Any younger , he probably will be shooting pics for his GF during the PSLE graduation.
    EOS 7D|50mm f/1.8 II|17-55mm f/2.8 IS|55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS|BG-E7|580EXII

I will be blunt here.

It seems like full frame advisers are living out their fantasies of having a big budget.

Thats how the TS gets fixated with models like 5DMKII and D700.

No doubt its not our money, but I get the feeling that the TS is rather impressionable and takes these suggestions at face value.

As Daredevil listed out in detail, with careful planning, 5K can get a very comprehensive set up. Its wasteful to blow it all on just a top-end camera and expensive lens just because "the money is there".

Perhaps TS can let your sister read this thread so she can make an informed decision together with you.

PS: I have spent less than 5k in total since I stared with DSLR more than 5 years ago, when its relatively more expensive. Don't mean it in a sour grapes way, just that its need not be an expensive hobby if we are careful.
    Last edited by ahbian; 6th May 2010 at 06:13 PM.

Blog Entries

but i cannot refer to the 24-70L as a XMM lens, otherwise a lot of ppl will be angry!
    Actually the official XMM lenses are the Nikon 85/1.4 and the Canon 85/1.2L.

In China and Korea, they actually call the Nikon 85/1.4 "Girlfriend lens".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    As Daredevil listed out in detail, with careful planning, 5K can get a very comprehensive set up. Its wasteful to blow it all on just a top-end camera and expensive lens just because "the money is there".
    I think my advice is falling on deaf ears. I spend so much effort putting together some numbers and all, and all the TS replied is "not enough can top up". So I had to show up the top up is around 8-10k over the 5k budget. After that, seems like no reaction still leh. His family must be swimming in money.

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother to give advice...
    Last edited by daredevil123; 6th May 2010 at 06:20 PM.

I think my advice is falling on deaf ears. I spend so much effort putting together some numbers and all, and all the TS replied is "not enough can top up". So I had to show up the top up is around 8-10k over the 5k budget. After that, seems like no reaction still leh. His family must be swimming in money.

Its ok, can always copy and paste (or link) for the next person who asks.

depressing hor....? I also tried to give advice in a similar vein as yours (though not as comprehensive), also seems to have fallen on deaf ears.

If my family member gives me a budget of 5K to spend on a hobby, I will try to spend wisely and not use all of it.
    But maybe kids nowadays think that this sort of opportunity comes once in a blue moon. Better make the most of it.

Generation gap? Perhaps

Blog Entries

depressing hor....? I also tried to give advice in a similar vein as yours (though not as comprehensive), also seems to have fallen on deaf ears.

If my family member gives me a budget of 5K to spend on a hobby, I will try to spend wisely and not use all of it.
    But maybe kids nowadays think that this sort of opportunity comes once in a blue moon. Better make the most of it.

Generation gap? Perhaps
    Kids nowadays too good life already la. Right or not bro?

Last time when I left for USA for Uni when I was 21 (not 14), my dad gave me a Canon film PnS with single zoom (meaning you can only select between 2 fixed focal lengths). I happy like a bird liao. And yes, that camera is still around and working.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 6th May 2010 at 06:34 PM.

bro,last time of cause cannot compare with now lol....

Kids nowadays too good life already la. Right or not bro?

Last time when I left for USA for Uni when I was 21 (not 14), my dad gave me a Canon film PnS with single zoom (meaning you can only select between 2 fixed focal lengths). I happy like a bird liao. And yes, that camera is still around and working.

anyway,will go down shop try out ur recommendation....

Then you shouldn't bother with 5Dmk2 or D700 because your budget is only 5k, which will only get you 1 body and 1 lens. And since it is sponsered by your sis, it sounds like you will have no financial ablity to get more lenses. And FF lenses are very expensive.

With 5k you should probably get something like (nikon example here, feel free to formulate the canon option):

D90 + kit ~ 1500
    Tokina 11-16 ~ 950
    Nikon 50/1.8 ~ 195
    Nikon 35/1.8 ~ 330
    Nikon 70-300VR ~ 950
    SB-600 flash ~ 330
    Manfrotto 190xprob w/ 486RC2 ~ 350
    Nice Lowepro bag ~ 150
    Dry cab 50L ~160

Will give you a complete set-up capable of shooting almost everything under the sun/moon (except macro) and yield professional results (if you are good) for less than $4800 (and wow, all new and 1st hand too). With 200 left over for you to buy other accessories like flash diffusers, 3rd party camera straps, lens pens, filters.. etc... Or add the raynox 250 for a couple of hundred to shoot macro.

Compare that to a D700 + 1 lens (probably 24-70/2.8 or 28-70/2.8) with nothing else already bust your 5k budget, even if you get the lens used.

Wanna shoot wide open landscapes - no ultra wide angle.
    Wanna shoot night scene, sunrise, sunset, long exposure - No tripod.
    Wanna shoot indoor event - No flash.
    Wanna shoot XMM - No large aperture prime lens.
    Wanna shoot macro - no macro ability and no tripod and no flash.
    Wanna shoot far far - no tele.
    Wanna look more pro - No battery grip.

And to warn you,

UWA for FF: 16-35 cost over $1800. 14-24 cost over $2400
    Tele for FF: 70-300VR works but for FF, you want best quality, 70-200/2.8 cost around 3k.
    Tripod: FF heavy, must get stronger tripod and ballhead. Look at 500 at least for good one.
    Battery grip MB-D10: cost $330 not including spare batteries.

I think the first option above with the D90 makes a much much stronger case.

Quote Originally Posted by firework View Post
    bro,last time of cause cannot compare with now lol....
    actually the concept of prudent spending should still apply. Certainly the monetary amounts are different, but the concept still applies.
    eg. last time budget maybe $500, and now it's $2k (or $5-6k in your case), but you should still spend that money wisely, instead of thinking "well, the budget can be stretched if the need arises"... that's a slippery slope you shouldn't tread on...

Lol zero and daredevil no point reasoning all these money problems with him.. He's only
    a 14 yr old XDD he won't understand what we mean.. All he know is dslr is cool and at his age he'll probably think the more expensive camera the better.. At least that was what I was thinking when I was his age.. And no matter what we tell him he'll only say I'll go down to the shop to see.. He's been saying that for so many times.. I can expect his interest to die off soon once he gets his camera..
    Last edited by dlhero; 7th May 2010 at 11:13 AM.
    Canon EOS 60D | EF-S10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | EF50mm f/1.8 II | (EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM if only!)

awww....
    rubbish the young padawan, we shouldn't.
    give him a chance to succeed, we shall.

may the force be with you, young 'firework'

Quote Originally Posted by firework View Post
    hi,for below mention,which model are best?
    budget can increase if not enough,because sponsor by my sis...
    how lucky of you, but my suggestion is to take your time to test and try to find the one you like. you dont need the best cam to take best pic, from this review http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d90...comparison.htm, D90 can take good pic as as the D3, but less functions and features. buy the body and a primary lens first, then figure out what you need as your hobby grows. dun exhaust the budget immediately, worst if you give up on the hobby shortly. i know some that gave up due to the complexity of a DSLR operation, especially the high end one.

OT a bit, i know your sis loves you but doesnt mean you should spend whatever she can spare, its her hard earn money. should learn to appreciate what you dont earn, and not end up like most of our young teenagers, arrogant and simply ungrateful.

Quote Originally Posted by dlhero View Post
    Lol zero and daredevil no point reasoning all these money problems with him.. He's only
    a 14 yr old XDD he won't understand what we mean.. All he know is dslr is cool and at his age he'll probably think the more expensive camera the better.. At least that was what I was thinking when I was his age.. And no matter what we tell him he'll only say I'll go down to the shop to see.. He's been saying that for so many times.. I can expect his interest to die off soon once he gets his camera..
    if really die off can sell off his gears at super low price since he didnt spend anything? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Chan View Post
    if really die off can sell off his gears at super low price since he didnt spend anything? lol
    Yea and we will be one of the first to snap up the offer wahaha =D
    Canon EOS 60D | EF-S10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | EF50mm f/1.8 II | (EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM if only!)

Quote Originally Posted by dlhero View Post
    Yea and we will be one of the first to snap up the offer wahaha =D
    why do you think i even bother to ask? lol

maybe when he finally buy we will be camping in the bns section 24/7?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast