Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: buy new dslr

Default Re: buy new dslr

damn it,i am not show types la...

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    You sure more practice is all you need? Check out the dude in the following thread. After 1 year of practicing, now thinking to go back to PnS.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691453

Learn how to crawl, then walk, then fly. I do not recommend jumping directly into D700, if the only budget you have will get you the camera body and 1 lens only. FX lenses are very expensive. And you will need accessories, flash, tripod, remote. dry cab, etc etc etc... One of the main joys of a DSLR system is in its flexibility, i.e. changing lenses, attaching flashes, etc etc etc....

Unless you are one of those "for show types", wear camera like wearing jewelry and go how-lian prancing around. Then I recommend you go for Leica instead, lighter and look even more "pro".

I agree with daredevil123 that TS should consider buying the Leica M9. It certainly looks good as a piece of accessories round your neck, and people will know that you got money and style. Some may also think you know your stuff

Anyway the M9 is highly recommended for TS, as it is not any camera body which you can just walk into the camera shop and buy it off the shelf. Understand that those with stocks are giving it to their regulars first. Hence, TS can afford to wait another 11 months for the camera to arrive and get his sister to increase his budget to more than 12k just for the M9 body.

If TS is hand itchy now, you can try to get the older model M8.3 or the lens first.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by firework View Post
    damn it,i am not show types la...
    Then you shouldn't bother with 5Dmk2 or D700 because your budget is only 5k, which will only get you 1 body and 1 lens. And since it is sponsered by your sis, it sounds like you will have no financial ablity to get more lenses. And FF lenses are very expensive.

With 5k you should probably get something like (nikon example here, feel free to formulate the canon option):

D90 + kit ~ 1500
    Tokina 11-16 ~ 950
    Nikon 50/1.8 ~ 195
    Nikon 35/1.8 ~ 330
    Nikon 70-300VR ~ 950
    SB-600 flash ~ 330
    Manfrotto 190xprob w/ 486RC2 ~ 350
    Nice Lowepro bag ~ 150
    Dry cab 50L ~160

Will give you a complete set-up capable of shooting almost everything under the sun/moon (except macro) and yield professional results (if you are good) for less than $4800 (and wow, all new and 1st hand too). With 200 left over for you to buy other accessories like flash diffusers, 3rd party camera straps, lens pens, filters.. etc... Or add the raynox 250 for a couple of hundred to shoot macro.

Compare that to a D700 + 1 lens (probably 24-70/2.8 or 28-70/2.8) with nothing else already bust your 5k budget, even if you get the lens used.

Wanna shoot wide open landscapes - no ultra wide angle.
    Wanna shoot night scene, sunrise, sunset, long exposure - No tripod.
    Wanna shoot indoor event - No flash.
    Wanna shoot XMM - No large aperture prime lens.
    Wanna shoot macro - no macro ability and no tripod and no flash.
    Wanna shoot far far - no tele.
    Wanna look more pro - No battery grip.

And to warn you,

UWA for FF: 16-35 cost over $1800. 14-24 cost over $2400
    Tele for FF: 70-300VR works but for FF, you want best quality, 70-200/2.8 cost around 3k.
    Tripod: FF heavy, must get stronger tripod and ballhead. Look at 500 at least for good one.
    Battery grip MB-D10: cost $330 not including spare batteries.

I think the first option above with the D90 makes a much much stronger case.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 6th May 2010 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kokfann View Post
    wow...5k budget

then u can get a 50D, 70-200mm 4L IS, 10-22mm canon and 17-50mm tamron...from uwa to telephoto...

damnit....i think my advice is kinda invisible here until daredevil123 mention the setup using d90. and why is everyone thinking it is a good idea for TS to straight away jump to FF?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kokfann View Post
    damnit....i think my advice is kinda invisible here until daredevil123 mention the setup using d90. and why is everyone thinking it is a good idea for TS to straight away jump to FF?
    Because I write longer.

And nowadays, dunno why, a lot of people seem to think get tok-kong camera will yield very good pictures...

Because I write longer.

And nowadays, dunno why, a lot of people seem to think get tok-kong camera will yield very good pictures...
    lol..i think so. actually i wanna make a cost breakdown but lazy and dont wanna spoon feed.

but encouraging everyone to get the best body and lens is actually a good thing. BBBBBB...then i will visit the B&S section more often.

a,i still student 14, no financial at all,if 5k not enough can top up...

Then you shouldn't bother with 5Dmk2 or D700 because your budget is only 5k, which will only get you 1 body and 1 lens. And since it is sponsered by your sis, it sounds like you will have no financial ablity to get more lenses. And FF lenses are very expensive.

With 5k you should probably get something like (nikon example here, feel free to formulate the canon option):

D90 + kit ~ 1500
    Tokina 11-16 ~ 950
    Nikon 50/1.8 ~ 195
    Nikon 35/1.8 ~ 330
    Nikon 70-300VR ~ 950
    SB-600 flash ~ 330
    Manfrotto 190xprob w/ 486RC2 ~ 350
    Nice Lowepro bag ~ 150
    Dry cab 50L ~160

Will give you a complete set-up capable of shooting almost everything under the sun/moon (except macro) and yield professional results (if you are good) for less than $4800 (and wow, all new and 1st hand too). With 200 left over for you to buy other accessories like flash diffusers, 3rd party camera straps, lens pens, filters.. etc... Or add the raynox 250 for a couple of hundred to shoot macro.

Compare that to a D700 + 1 lens (probably 24-70/2.8 or 28-70/2.8) with nothing else already bust your 5k budget, even if you get the lens used.

Wanna shoot wide open landscapes - no ultra wide angle.
    Wanna shoot night scene, sunrise, sunset, long exposure - No tripod.
    Wanna shoot indoor event - No flash.
    Wanna shoot XMM - No large aperture prime lens.
    Wanna shoot macro - no macro ability and no tripod and no flash.
    Wanna shoot far far - no tele.
    Wanna look more pro - No battery grip.

And to warn you,

UWA for FF: 16-35 cost over $1800. 14-24 cost over $2400
    Tele for FF: 70-300VR works but for FF, you want best quality, 70-200/2.8 cost around 3k.
    Tripod: FF heavy, must get stronger tripod and ballhead. Look at 500 at least for good one.
    Battery grip MB-D10: cost $330 not including spare batteries.

I think the first option above with the D90 makes a much much stronger case.

Blog Entries

No wonder. You probably do not understand the concept of prudent spending.

For D700, to have the same shooting flexibility as the D90 setup I have shown, you need very much over 10k. And what do you gain? Better ISO performance which at your level you will probably will not know how to take advantage of. But you will gain a very much heavier setup. In the end, your picture quality (as a whole) will not be that much different from that of a D90. By the time you get good, your D700 would be outdated already, and you will probably be crying out for more sponsorship for an upgrade.

But it is your call. It's your (or your sister's) money.

And if you going for D700, I suggest:

D700 body ~ 2300
    Nikon 16-35/4 ~1900 (12-24/2.8 if you have tons of cash)
    Nikon 24-70/2.8 ~2600
    Nikon 70-200/2.8 VR2 ~3000
    Nikon 50/1.4G ~800
    Nikon 85/1.8 ~ 650 (1.4 if you have tons of cash)
    Nikon SB-900 ~550
    MB-D10 ~340
    additional battery ~ 65
    Manfrotto 190xprob 488rc2 ~380
    Dry cab 50L ~160

Total= around $13,000 (around $15k if you choose 85/1.4 and 12-24/2.8)
    Last edited by daredevil123; 6th May 2010 at 03:53 PM.

Top up your knowledge first, that is more helpful that wasting your sister's money. With knowledge and patience you can use an entry level camera and get good pictures. Topping up budget will only make the sales man happy but will not improve your snapshots at all.
    EOS

hi,i see,will go down n try out,other then D90 u recommend,any other brand like canon?thanks

No wonder. You probably do not understand the concept of prudent spending.

For D700, to have the same shooting flexibility as the D90 setup I have shown, you need very much over 10k. And what do you gain? Better ISO performance which at your level you will probably will not know how to take advantage of. But you will gain a very much heavier setup. In the end, your picture quality (as a whole) will not be that much different from that of a D90. By the time you get good, your D700 would be outdated already, and you will probably be crying out for more sponsorship for an upgrade.

But it is your call. It's your (or your sister's) money.

i see,you got any good recommendation?

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Top up your knowledge first, that is more helpful that wasting your sister's money. With knowledge and patience you can use an entry level camera and get good pictures. Topping up budget will only make the sales man happy but will not improve your snapshots at all.

Blog Entries

hi,i see,will go down n try out,other then D90 u recommend,any other brand like canon?thanks
    Canon's answer to D90 is 550D (slightly lower) and 50D (slightly higher)

i see,r u nikon user?

Canon's answer to D90 is 550D (slightly lower) and 50D (slightly higher)

Blog Entries

i see,r u nikon user?
    Yes. Only because my family has been shooting Nikons since the 70s. So I have access to a lot of old and classic lenses. That is why it makes sense for me to go Nikon as well, so I can use those awesome lenses, and I can save a lot more money for other stuff.

don't need to top up. save up half of it.

edit:

actually, if you are just taking photos of family/friends, you can just use the 18-55 kit lens. or if you want better photos, get a standard prime lens (somewhere around 28-35mm? for crop sensors).

if I were you, and I am not earning my own money now, and I am not taking photos for the school or whatsoever, I would just get the D90 or 550D because I think that video function can be a nice-to-have when taking photos of family and non-serious stuff.
    Last edited by tehzeh; 6th May 2010 at 05:19 PM.

hi,anyone can recommend me a dslr camera?
    i am newbie here...budget 5k....
    what brand and model are good?
    BUDGET 5K????!!!!! OMG!!! RICH SIA...

Anyway, since you're juz starting out, take a 500D/550D and grab yourself a 24-70mm f/2.8L (its sharp)
    A 70-200mm F/2.8/f4L Is Good combination to the 24-70.

And if you still hv the money, can buy for me the 24-70/24-105? I would greatly appreciate the help.
    indie

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by leowyien View Post
    BUDGET 5K????!!!!! OMG!!! RICH SIA...

Anyway, since you're juz starting out, take a 500D/550D and grab yourself a 24-70mm f/2.8L (its sharp)
    A 70-200mm F/2.8/f4L Is Good combination to the 24-70.

And if you still hv the money, can buy for me the 24-70/24-105? I would greatly appreciate the help.
    LOL as if you are TS's family.Why must TS buy a 24-70 or 24-105 for you?

Quote Originally Posted by firework
    i see,r u nikon user?
    These sort of questions just shows how little you know about the various cameras out there. I suggest you stop spending time on CS asking needless questions, and go try and feel the different camera makes/models out there.
    We're all trying to make you see the big picture, but it seems you just want someone to spoonfeed you with an answer to the question
    "what camera + lens(es) should I buy for $5K - $6K?"

you can see that the answers are so varied. How to arrive at a decision like this?
    Exploring! :)

Deregistered

For lower entry level,can consider the following:

Canon EOS 1000D/450D
    Nikon D3000
    Sony A230/330/380
    Olympus E-450

If you think you wanna go for upper entry level:

Canon EOS 500D/550D
    Nikon D5000/D90(This one counted?)
    Sony A500/550
    Pentax K-x

Wow! this thread has gone on for quite some length.

TS, money is really no object?

Pentax K7 - $1338
    Pentax DA*16-50/2.8 - $1200
    Pentax DA*50-135/2.8 - $1477
    AF540 flash - $600

leave some money for dry cab, cleaning kit and clear filters.

Seriously, you don't need 5K to do photography. You just need a competent DSLR (most models from all brands are ) and the williness to learn/try.

Gd luck!
    Last edited by pinholecam; 6th May 2010 at 05:43 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast