Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems of pictures with bright sky...

Default Re: Problems of pictures with bright sky...

did you pp it or it's original image? i still not satisfy with my image quality..
    Canon Kiss X4 | 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II Kit lens | 50mm f1.8

Quote Originally Posted by voxies09 View Post
    did you pp it or it's original image? i still not satisfy with my image quality..
    I just use Auto Contrast with Picasa 3.

Timing is important ...

This picture is taken at Cradle Mountain Tasmania. As you can see, blue sky, green tree .. almost in the mid tone range. All well within the dynamic range.

This one is taken at Adelaide, the sky is blown out; the cloud covers almost the blue sky. With HDR, it can compensate the dynamic range issue. or just crop it and don't expose too much of the sky

Well, when you travel, you are trying to see more places in shortest time. You just don't have the time to wait there
    Last edited by kutten; 3rd May 2010 at 05:21 PM.

what is the normal shutter speed, iso, aperture for day light landscape photography?

what is the normal shutter speed, iso, aperture for day light landscape photography?
    There's no fixed shuttle speed.

normally i will use full auto settings in my 550D, and see what is the aperture, shuttle speed, & ISO...is it the correct way to learn?

I used to have this problem earlier, however, with CPL, it is quite under control now. I predominantly use Av mode with different ISO.

Last edited by kaylan2000; 3rd May 2010 at 06:15 PM.
    1Ds II | EF 16-35L| EF 24-105L | EF 35f/2.0 | EF 50f/1.8 | EF 85f/1.8 | EF 100L |EF 70-300L| EX 550

inshort, those daylight landscape photo doesnt required tripod since the shuttle speed is 1/30 or 1/60 right

really, no point asking for the "normal settings" for any particular photography, learn more on there are just so many waysssssss to get proper exposure, research on the effects of ISO, aperture and shutter speed on your photos, and you will have to adjust those settings accordingly DEPENDS on the actual scene at that time.

inshort, those daylight landscape photo doesnt required tripod since the shuttle speed is 1/30 or 1/60 right

it depends, some people can handhold a 50mm lens at 1/10 with no problem, some people will have problem at even 1/50 on a 50mm lens, after each shot just check the photo from your LCD screen, 550D's 1040K dot LCD should be good enough to tell whether there is any camera shake.

the shutter speed you get will also varies from time to time, all depends on the time to u shoot, the weather, those object in your scene, your camera settings, what you wan to achieve, etc etc etc etc. there is no fixed magical formula. learn the relationship between all different factors and settings.

So, in terms of bright sky vs landscape, normally what metering mode we shd use, and where shd we take the reference? Is this crucial?

Anyone mind to share similar pictures but taken with GND? I been using CPL, but it don't seems to be helpful.
    Canon 500D, Tamron 17-50 f2.8, Nissin Di622

Quote Originally Posted by wallacetham View Post
    ..I been using CPL, but it don't seems to be helpful.
    Try again with the sun on your right or left (i.e. shoot at right angle to the light). Turn your CPL until you get the maximum contrast between the clouds and blue sky.

If you turn your camera from a horizontal to a verticle position, you must set your CPL again.
    Last edited by Diavonex; 3rd May 2010 at 08:00 PM.

normally i will use full auto settings in my 550D, and see what is the aperture, shuttle speed, & ISO...is it the correct way to learn?
    But, once you are familiar with all the shuttle speed and aperture. Do use the semi automatic mode which are TV and AV.

wow great... thanks for the advice

I read about the sunny 16 rule in another thread.

Just wondering if this would this rule help TS in getting the correct exposure.

never trust the LCD screen, should only look at the histogram after each shot.

Why dont you post the link here?

Why dont you post the link here?
    a simple google search is better dude, dun expect everyone to spoon feed you.

Quote Originally Posted by Diavonex View Post
    Try again with the sun on your right or left (i.e. shoot at right angle to the light). Turn your CPL until you get the maximum contrast between the clouds and blue sky.

If you turn your camera from a horizontal to a verticle position, you must set your CPL again.
    i also heard about turning the CPL to get different effect, i tried, but no difference ler....i am using tokina 58mm CPL, good filter or cheapo?

So if i am turning it, what effect that i am looking for actually?
    Canon 500D, Tamron 17-50 f2.8, Nissin Di622

Quote Originally Posted by Diavonex View Post

Quote Originally Posted by wallacetham View Post
    i also heard about turning the CPL to get different effect, i tried, but no difference ler....i am using tokina 58mm CPL, good filter or cheapo?

So if i am turning it, what effect that i am looking for actually?
    CPL will have different effect on your photo depending on which direction you are shooting at, read the post by Diavonex again, when using it correctly, you will see very dramatic change through your viewfinder while you turning the CPL, if you cannot see any difference, then don't use.

you can try Google "how to use CPL" to have a better idea.

Quote Originally Posted by loozhengyuan View Post
    I've heard from many people that dawn , dusk , and 12pm is the best time to shoot a scenic shot . So maybe , the rumour has now been confirmed .
    there is no magic time.

people will say that stormy weather is a bad time to shoot. you have rain all around you, you have lightning in the sky and the thunder is roaring.

yet stormy weather has produced some of the most spectacular photos i have ever seen.

yes, dawn and dusk have nice colors, but that doesn't mean that it goes with everything.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast