Thread: Alkaff Mansion?

Default Alkaff Mansion?

I did a search here but could not find any recent updates on Alkaff Mansion. I was thinking of doing a shoot there and would like to find out some details.

• Is the place cordoned off after the recent tender bids in early April?
    • Is there a security guard around to stop people from shooting?
    • I don't have a car so can I take a taxi up there?

Thanks in advance for any information given!
    Last edited by verityshu; 2nd May 2010 at 10:53 PM.

Default Re: Alkaff Mansion?

its along the way up to telok blangah hill. theres a bus stop along the way road..probably 15-20mins walk up the gradual slope. go up the hill has a nicer view of the city/hdb

Quote Originally Posted by verityshu View Post
    I did a search here but could not find any recent updates on Alkaff Mansion. I was thinking of doing a shoot there and would like to find out some details.

I been there to consider bidding for the place... went there twice before bid close using rightful way(contact SLA), only know that it is being cordoned off and didnt really see any guard at that time but some how AFAIK u might be able to seek in... find ur way.

since the bid is over, the new tenant may already take over the premises and contractor may have start working.

sorry didnt really ans ur question but hope above help
    Life is like Photography, to improve, you have to keep shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by verityshu View Post

The last time i went there was a couple of months ago. Might be revisiting the place again in a few weeks time. At that time no cordon. Entrance to the building has been boarded up but somebody made an opening so you can crawl through (not that I would hazard to try).

No security. There's a sign warning that that the premises is monitored by CCTV tho. True or not I have no idea though I can spot conical-like housing hanging off the ceiling. Too far to see whether there's CCTV cameras inside.

As for access I just walk right in to the front yard. Not that far from Henderson wave bridge. Hope this helps.

Not accessible anymore.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    Not accessible anymore.
    even the little hole at courtyard?
    Life is like Photography, to improve, you have to keep shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by egnaro View Post
    even the little hole at courtyard?
    Last I went it has been sealed off, not sure if anyone has open that again.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Thanks to everyone who replied! You have been very helpful.

Looks like the mansion has been cordoned off I guess I'll look elsewhere for a shoot location then.

Update for those interested...
    F&B firm Les Pte Ltd wins tenancy for former Alkaff Mansion
    By Travis Teo | Posted: 18 June 2010 1201 hrs

SINGAPORE: Food and beverage firm LES Pte Ltd has clinched the tenancy for the former Alkaff Mansion at Telok Blangah Green.

Its top bid of S$79,251 per month beat eight other contenders in the tender by the Singapore Land Authority.

LES will lease the property for an initial period of three years, and the tenancy could be renewed for another two terms of three years each.

The top offer is around three times the monthly guide rent of about $28,100 stipulated by SLA. And it is almost double the second highest bid.

The site near Mount Faber can be used as a restaurant, art gallery, spa or museum.

LES is keeping its plans under wraps for now, but hinted to MediaCorp that a new high-end dining concept is on the way.

When contacted, Les would only say that it will reveal the identity of the new chef on the coming Monday.

The targets, according to market watchers, will be tourists and corporate high-spenders.

The former Alkaff Mansion, built in the 1920s, was designated a conservation building on in June 2005.

It was previously a popular venue for weddings.

The site has a land area of about 9,000 square metres and an approximate gross floor area of 1,220 square metres.

Analysts say renovations for the property will not come cheap.

Donald Han, managing director of Cushman & Wakefield, said: "....you probably need to spend, easily, about $1 million, $1.1 million to retrofit it into specific concept like F&B, which means that will push up your cost in terms of operating on a break-even basis - close to about $4 to $4.50 per square foot."

- CNA/jy/ir
    CNA source