Thread: Cleaning camera efficiently

Default Cleaning camera efficiently

hi there,
    I have a phobia when returning from a trip using my camera, because I know I will be spending more than 1 hour cleaning it.

I am not clear what are the specific areas to clean, and what to use to clean where.
    So I end up doing this:

a. wipe camera body using cleaning solution on paper/cloth (to remove dust or sweat)
    b. blow front of lens using blower
    c. remove lens from body and blow the back of lens (the side attaching to camera body)
    d. wipe LCD screen using cleaning solution (to remove fingerprints)
    e. wipe shoulder strap using dettol wipes (to remove sweat stains)
    f. wipe lens covers (front and back covers) and camera lens interface cover using cleaning solution on paper/cloth
    g. wipe the camera bag external using dettol wipes (general hygiene cleaning)

Is this a complete cleaning coverage or did I miss out important areas that need cleaning? eg. viewfinder window, glass interior of camera body etc.

Or are some of the cleaning steps redundant or silly or no need to clean after every trip?

Hope to hear some advice from you experts out there so I can clean my camera more effectively and efficiently and have a more focused cleaning session rather than an aimless tedious cleaning session every time.

Thanks !

Default Re: Cleaning camera efficiently

I wish i am as hard working as you.

when i am back from my trip, i just chuck my camera and lenses into my dry cabinet and have a rest before transferring the images from the memory card onto my hard disk and start editing the photos.

Deregistered

C,E,F and G is not that important.For me,i'll just use a microfibre cloth to clean the camera body and lens and leave it on the bed for an hour.If there's dust on the cam's LCD or the lens front element,i'll use a blower and lenspen

Wow , you might want to check if you have obsessive compulsive disorder! Just kidding ...

I think thats too much ... even bag must clean... as for the lens, blowing the back may cause dust to go in... cleaning the lens dont always have to use the lens solution just gently wipe off can already , the solution is more for when there is a oil smudge whchi is harder to remove... Cleaning too much can also cause cleaning marks or create probs with the lens coating ...
    Buy Film Not Megapixels

haha i agree with alot of their statements haha, i just wipe with cloth on the body, blow the lens for dirt (but dont wipe) and put it into dry cab alr! rather spend time shooting more and editing more after i shoot
    Canon 6D | Sony A7II w Metabones IV | Lenses and Flash

Wow, you are so clean. I just do a visual check to ensure that everything is dry and maybe blow off some dust or clean if really dirty on the filter on my lens. Then, everything goes into my dry cabinet.

i use a vacuum cleaner for the external body and lens (inside and lens untouched). Also vacuum the cabinet as dust may settle in when you open and close.

Don't meddle the inside safest.

Thanks everyone for your quick response.
    Wah looks like the cleaning process is somewhat simpler than I thought. I have been over-doing things all this while.

Good news ! So next time no need to have phobia using my camera (because of the after-shooting cleaning chores !) liao...

Thanks !

WAH...you are very hardworking...to me, the most important thing is to leave the camera on my bed for a little wind-dry before putting it into storage...nv reli clean...wahaha...at most use alcohol to clean the body if I handled the camera with oily fingers after food etc...
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

I'd rather spend my time post-processing images instead of hunting some irrelevant dust particles. That's more efficient to me ...
    EOS

My way of cleaning is wiping the body with a microfiber to remove sweat . Use a blower to blow away the dust then use a lintless paper together with lens cleaning spray to clean the lens ( and Viewfinder ) . However , its not good to mess with the glass too much . Clean abit , as long as you deliver good pictures , then its good enough . The more you clean , the more possibilities of dust and scratches you get .

Just like what i learnt from a fellow CS-er : Dont be a slave to your camera ; your camera is your slave .
    NIKON D90 | NIKKOR 35mm F/1.8G | NIKKOR 50mm F/1.8D | TOKINA 11-16mm F/2.8

Your cleaning procedure is like removing the evidence from a crime scene

However, it will help to keep your gear resale value high, next time you plan on selling..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by horizon_grazer View Post
    Your cleaning procedure is like removing the evidence from a crime scene

However, it will help to keep your gear resale value high, next time you plan on selling..
    CSI... You need to use chlorine, lots of it, to remove blood stains.

But becareful TS, if you clean that way, you might be hurting the camera more than cleaning it. One day the paint come off then you know.