Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: The Helix, In Focus

  1. #1

    Default The Helix, In Focus

    1. In what area is critique to be sought?
    Composition, technique/method.

    2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    To draw the viewer's eyes to the Helix amidst the other elements on the photo.

    3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken?
    Night, long exposure, with a tripod. And tons of distraction (okay lah, fellow shooters on the, at the moment, most photographed spot in SG) by my side.

    4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture?
    It needs some refinement which, through the advices of the experts here, I hope to improve on for my next shoots.


  2. #2

    Default Re: The Helix, In Focus

    well done bro i like the feel ^^

  3. #3
    Member hartzdevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    156

    Default Re: The Helix, In Focus

    Hey Bro, i like the blur effect.
    JUST KEEP SHOOTING

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    125'10.16"N 10350'11.01"E
    Posts
    1,052

    Default Re: The Helix, In Focus

    I think it's too tight, zoom out a bit more. I find the emphasis on the structure awkward. However, the blur effect works well for me.

  5. #5

    Default Re: The Helix, In Focus

    looks fake, but i like it
    α850 | SAL2470Z | SAL135F18Z | SAL70200G | SAL50F1.4

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore CCK
    Posts
    27

    Default Re: The Helix, In Focus

    wow I really like it, I'm just wondering how'd u get the blur effect, was it a post processing, or actual lens blur?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Yishun
    Posts
    152

    Default Re: The Helix, In Focus

    Excellent shot!
    Olympus Digicam

  8. #8

    Default Re: The Helix, In Focus

    Is it photo-shopped?

  9. #9

    Default Re: The Helix, In Focus

    nice. good job in hdr.

  10. #10

    Default Re: The Helix, In Focus

    This pic looks like using layer ... water under bridge, one section TS forgot to blur off ... keke
    7D . 10-22 . 17-55 . 50 1.8 . 18-200 . 70-200 2.8 II . EX580 II
    潜水高尔夫球手 Sunchaser

  11. #11

    Default Re: The Helix, In Focus

    may i know how long was your shutter and what aperture you are using?

  12. #12
    Senior Member ovaltinemilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sin jia Po lah
    Posts
    2,820

    Default Re: The Helix, In Focus

    overall nice, but blur is not very well done for some parts if you scrutinize it... looks fake, but still nice...
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

  13. #13

    Default Re: The Helix, In Focus

    Quote Originally Posted by ArcticFox View Post
    I think it's too tight, zoom out a bit more. I find the emphasis on the structure awkward. However, the blur effect works well for me.
    Thanks for the comment. This was as wide as I can get (I was using a 17-50/2.8 lens). It was my aim, in fact, to bring emphasis to the structure which is why I did a pseudo tilt-shift + gaussian-blurred backdrop post-processing.

    Quote Originally Posted by gamebit View Post
    looks fake, but i like it
    Thanks for the comment; the effect was done on purpose. =)

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffzhen View Post
    wow I really like it, I'm just wondering how'd u get the blur effect, was it a post processing, or actual lens blur?
    Thanks for appreciating my work. I had two layers, the bottom layer was gaussian-blurred. I then applied a layer mask to the upper layer and left just the Helix Bridge.

    Quote Originally Posted by gnayed View Post
    Is it photo-shopped?
    No, it was not. It was GIMPed. =)

    Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon View Post
    nice. good job in hdr.
    Nope, this one is a non-HDR photo. I did slight curves adjustments plus the other steps I've mentioned above. I appreciate your comment, thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by scubagolfer View Post
    This pic looks like using layer ... water under bridge, one section TS forgot to blur off ... keke
    Yes, I did miss that spot out. I was too tired after the shoot. I was in a rush to post some shots and I wasn't really too focused on the workflow. Thanks for pointing that out; I've already fixed this on my copy (which I have archived). =)

    Quote Originally Posted by zackery88 View Post
    may i know how long was your shutter and what aperture you are using?
    If you've been on the bridge, it is quite tough to get a good shot as it shakes and vibrates when groups of people walk by. I shot this at 1/2 sec, f/3.5 to reduce any ghosting artifacts and the out-of-focus resulting from the vibrations/shakes.

  14. #14
    Deregistered shaoken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Clementi/West Coast
    Posts
    2,115

    Default Re: The Helix, In Focus

    Nice blur effect..

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    179

    Default Re: The Helix, In Focus

    HDR? nice touch. i'm trying to learn too.
    Flickr
    Canon 7D | 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | 430EX II

  16. #16

    Default Re: The Helix, In Focus

    i think applying lens blur instead of gaussian would work better. is that available in gimp?
    my kangarolly :)

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    here
    Posts
    1,350

    Default Re: The Helix, In Focus

    Pseudo tilt shift effects tend to not work well if you don't shoot from a higher vantage point.

  18. #18

    Default Re: The Helix, In Focus

    Nice vantage point. Looks like you were leaning out the bridge (I've never been there yet soo don't know how its done)

    Good exposure on the bridge and blur in the bkgnd to isolate the bridge as the subject.

    Nice job!

  19. #19

    Default Re: The Helix, In Focus

    this looks photoshopped.

    once again, i present to you the gimmick syndrome. this happens when someone finds something new, and then fits pictures into the gimmick, instead of the other way round. tools are at the photographer's disposal to employ, not for you to be controlled by them. does this image really warrant the tilt/shift effect? where is the composition, effects aside? what do you intend to show?

  20. #20

    Default Re: The Helix, In Focus

    Quote Originally Posted by LeGozt View Post
    i think applying lens blur instead of gaussian would work better. is that available in gimp?
    I reckon there is no lens blur in Gimp (I could be wrong though); the closest effect would be a soft focus effect. Thanks for the comment.

    Quote Originally Posted by aspenx View Post
    Pseudo tilt shift effects tend to not work well if you don't shoot from a higher vantage point.
    Agree, which makes this shot, imho, a tad going against the norms as far as "good" tilt-shifts are concerned. I couldn't find a higher spot to shoot with the whole expanse of the bridge covered so I had to "improvise." I appreciate your comments; I'll keep your advise in mind for future tilt-shift projects.

    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Nice vantage point. Looks like you were leaning out the bridge (I've never been there yet soo don't know how its done)

    Good exposure on the bridge and blur in the bkgnd to isolate the bridge as the subject.

    Nice job!
    Thanks for the compliment. I was at the edge of the first view deck and had to compose a quick shot as the bridge is prone to "shakes" every now and then.

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    this looks photoshopped.
    Yes, it was post-processed albeit in Gimp.

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    once again, i present to you the gimmick syndrome. this happens when someone finds something new, and then fits pictures into the gimmick, instead of the other way round. tools are at the photographer's disposal to employ, not for you to be controlled by them.
    I'm stumped, nonetheless, I'd try to keep these words in mind in future works. ("Beware of the gimmick syndrome. Do not let the tools control you.") =)

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    does this image really warrant the tilt/shift effect? where is the composition, effects aside? what do you intend to show?
    It was my intention to use the pseudo-tilt shift effect, warranted or not. If this were a commissioned shoot, I may not be at a liberty to tinker with whatever effects I fancy. So please bear with me in my use of artistic freedom, however infinitesimal my artistic insticts may be. =)

    The aim of this photo was to show the structure of the bridge, its intricate design in conjunction with the use of leading lines and diminishing perspectives.

    Thank you for taking your time to offer constructive critiques of my work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •