Thread: Prosumer Canon or Olympus

Default Prosumer Canon or Olympus

Hi, am considering to get a prosumer camera for underwater photograpgy and I cannot decide which to get.

I've narrow down my choice to Canon G5 and Olympus C-5050z/C-5060Wz. It seems that both camera are closely match thus I'm undecisive. Can anyone give me some user advice/comments on both cameras? esp when it comes to macro shooting of these cameras?

There's also some reservation to choose the C-5060wz over the C-5050z simply becasue of the battery that it use. Seems to me that AA batteries are better then those lithium-ion one.

One factor to consider is the underwater housing. The housing for the G5 can come up close to $1K whereas the Olympus housing should not be more then $500 which leave me some $ to get some memory cards.

pls advice.

Thanks.
    Kira

Hi,

I did consider the same few camera for underwater photography as you.
    My choice ended up was a Olympus 5060.

Oly 5060 -
    The U/W housing - rating is up to 40m depth.
    For the cost, it value for money. and the money you throw in for a G5 housing, you can get other acc. like flash light and wide angle lens etc. which you can use it underwater as well if you invest in flash housing.

Battery Life - Not a issue, it can last for quite long. if you afraid, you can buy 3rd party battery(which is cheap compare to original) to change for each dive. Remember, your battery life last longer than your 1 full tank that you are breathing in the water.

rgds,
    Alex

If underwater, Olympus C-5050 f/1.8 is your only choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Kira
    Hi, am considering to get a prosumer camera for underwater photograpgy and I cannot decide which to get.

I've narrow down my choice to Canon G5 and Olympus C-5050z/C-5060Wz. It seems that both camera are closely match thus I'm undecisive. Can anyone give me some user advice/comments on both cameras? esp when it comes to macro shooting of these cameras?

There's also some reservation to choose the C-5060wz over the C-5050z simply becasue of the battery that it use. Seems to me that AA batteries are better then those lithium-ion one.

One factor to consider is the underwater housing. The housing for the G5 can come up close to $1K whereas the Olympus housing should not be more then $500 which leave me some $ to get some memory cards.

pls advice.

Thanks.
    Kira