Thread: How to get rid of the dust or whatever it is

Default How to get rid of the dust or whatever it is

Hi all,

My Sony A500 has a dust (or whatever it is) on it as shown in the red circle below. How to get rid of it? It is only 2 months old.

I had changed lens, it is still there. I had blowed the sensor by following the instructions as per http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7lvL1-nktw, still no luck.

By the way, this speck of dust don't appear on my photos, no matter what aperture or zoom that I am shooting.

Please advise if this is something that I can do or need to send back to Sony service center.

Thanks.

Blog Entries

Default Re: How to get rid of the dust or whatever it is

Quote Originally Posted by songws View Post
    Hi all,

My Sony A500 has a dust (or whatever it is) on it as shown in the red circle below. How to get rid of it? It is only 2 months old.

I had changed lens, it is still there. I had blowed the sensor by following the instructions as per http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7lvL1-nktw, still no luck.

By the way, this speck of dust don't appear on my photos, no matter what aperture or zoom that I am shooting.

Please advise if this is something that I can do or need to send back to Sony service center.

Thanks.
    For your specific camera, the Liveview feature is not using your camera's sensor. It has another sensor inside the viewfinder/mirror region. That is why you can see the focus points. That is why you can see the dust in your liveview but not in your pictures. The dust in either in your viewfinder, on the mirror or on your focusing screen.

Then stop worrying about it. You can get it cleaned when you pick up visible dust.

you can do, you can easily google "sensor cleaning".

there are various methods, sensor swabs + eclipse, alternatives to sensor swabs + eclipse.

this is likely to be welded dust, i.e. dust with moisture, so blowing will not help.

alternatively you can send back to sony centre, as to whether they will charge, i don't know. ask the sony people. your warranty status might affect these charges too.

You should maybe get a sensorklear pen to swab the sensor. Remember to remove the mirror infront of the sensor before cleaning. And normally dust are not on the lens element. Try shooting at apertures such as f22 and above, to confirm if its really a speck of dust.

chey, i didn't read this.

then it doesn't do anything, get rid of your irritance. dust is everywhere, boh pian one. even if you send in to sony to clean, tomorrow will have new one, for all you know.

Quote Originally Posted by sabee View Post
    Then stop worrying about it. You can get it cleaned when you pick up visible dust.
    Where do you think this dust is located?

Quote Originally Posted by YuccaTheFlower View Post
    You should maybe get a sensorklear pen to swab the sensor. Remember to remove the mirror infront of the sensor before cleaning. And normally dust are not on the lens element. Try shooting at apertures such as f22 and above, to confirm if its really a speck of dust.
    What is sensorklear? Is it a lens pen? Swab the sensor sounds like a high risk task.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    chey, i didn't read this.

then it doesn't do anything, get rid of your irritance. dust is everywhere, boh pian one. even if you send in to sony to clean, tomorrow will have new one, for all you know.
    Do you recommend that I ignore it?

yes, recommend you ignore.

it doesn't affect your pictures, hence you should ignore it. it is common. even without live view you will encounter dust in viewfinder, etc.

You said 2 months old hen I presume it's under warranty. Just visit Sony service centre and satisfy you. It may be a dead pixel on your display also.
    1Ds II | EF 16-35L| EF 24-105L | EF 35f/2.0 | EF 50f/1.8 | EF 85f/1.8 | EF 100L |EF 70-300L| EX 550

yes, recommend you ignore.

it doesn't affect your pictures, hence you should ignore it. it is common. even without live view you will encounter dust in viewfinder, etc.
    Yup, it is the same spot in my viewfinder too, sorry for forgetting to mention that. Thanks, Mr. Night86mare. Btw, love your photos!

Quote Originally Posted by kaylan2000 View Post
    You said 2 months old hen I presume it's under warranty. Just visit Sony service centre and satisfy you. It may be a dead pixel on your display also.
    Probably not a dead pixel on the LCD, as it is appearing on the viewfinder too. Sorry for forgetting to mention that. And yes, it is under warranty. Maybe I should just bring back to Sony and see what is their findings.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    For your specific camera, the Liveview feature is not using your camera's sensor. It has another sensor inside the viewfinder/mirror region. That is why you can see the focus points. That is why you can see the dust in your liveview but not in your pictures. The dust in either in your viewfinder, on the mirror or on your focusing screen.
    Any easy way to get rid of it ?

Blog Entries

Remove the focusing screen, and use a blower.

Instructions on removing and replacing the focusing screen are here:
    http://www.focusingscreen.com/work/a550en.htm

probably not.

my advice is not to touch anything to do with focusing screen until you get someone experienced to show you how to handle it. the sensor is much easier to handle.

i touched my slr focusing screen once, after that there were black marks on it that could not be removed. thankfully it was just an slr, which was cheap (~$40-50) so just get a replacement on ebay uk.

If your cam is still under warranty, just send it to SSC for cleaning. There should not be any charges. But if the dust is not affecting your pictures I would personally ignore it.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Blog Entries

probably not.

my advice is not to touch anything to do with focusing screen until you get someone experienced to show you how to handle it. the sensor is much easier to handle.

i touched my slr focusing screen once, after that there were black marks on it that could not be removed. thankfully it was just an slr, which was cheap (~$40-50) so just get a replacement on ebay uk.
    Not that hard to do la. Just make sure not to handle the focusing screen with bare hands.

Remove the focusing screen, and use a blower.

Instructions on removing and replacing the focusing screen are here:
    http://www.focusingscreen.com/work/a550en.htm
    OMG, looks like mission impossible for me, but thanks for sharing such valuable information.

probably not.

Agreed, I freak out after seeing the webpage on Focussing Screen Installation Instructions provided by daredevil.

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    If your cam is still under warranty, just send it to SSC for cleaning. There should not be any charges. But if the dust is not affecting your pictures I would personally ignore it.
    I will probably do that.

Not that hard to do la. Just make sure not to handle the focusing screen with bare hands.
    I am scared that I may not be able to fix the focussing screen back into its original place, and I am also scared that I may accidentally touch or even scratch other parts of the camera. Again, thanks for sharing. Really appreciate it.