Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Is there such a tripod around?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Kiasu Nation
    Posts
    532

    Default Is there such a tripod around?

    Hmm i know to actually go google myself so spare me the google is your best friend as after looking for a few months still not able to find one.

    load capacity: 8kg
    Leg lock type: Flip lock (very important as i want it for the quickest deployment)
    Max height without centre column extended: 1.3m
    Weight:up to 1.5kg
    Folded length: up to 40 cm

  2. #2

    Default Re: Is there such a tripod around?

    My thoughts are: folded length less than 40cm but max height 1.3m would means it has to be one where the legs can fold 180 deg upwards like traveller series. And 5 section so that each section is short but extends out long enough together. 5 section tripod are usually using twist locks. And also for the legs to fold inwards, flip locks might get in the way. Hence the difficulty in your search.

    What you can consider are those with twist locks that can deploy quickly enough. Some of them are almost as fast as flip locks, the differences are probably negligible.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    big tree town
    Posts
    2,389

    Default Re: Is there such a tripod around?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fireemblem View Post
    Hmm i know to actually go google myself so spare me the google is your best friend as after looking for a few months still not able to find one.

    load capacity: 8kg
    Leg lock type: Flip lock (very important as i want it for the quickest deployment)
    Max height without centre column extended: 1.3m
    Weight:up to 1.5kg
    Folded length: up to 40 cm
    What is your budget?

    A few month looking for a tripod seems that you may be quite demanding. Have you tried to go to Benphoto and Cathay to take a look at their tripods. I would think that for tripods, sometimes looking at the specs are not enough. You have to go there and feel how stable it is.
    cameras are not made of tofu

  4. #4
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: Is there such a tripod around?

    Here... try this Benro Tripod.

    http://www.benro.com/products_detail...8EX.html#specs

    Not totally the same spec you wanted.... but close enough

    Scuba & Father... For Life

  5. #5

    Default Re: Is there such a tripod around?

    I would say go to Cathay Peninsula with your requirements and see if they can come out with something for you.
    I have a near-mint Olympus E-620 Underwater Case for Sale. PM me for a great deal!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    125'10.16"N 10350'11.01"E
    Posts
    1,052

    Default Re: Is there such a tripod around?

    Gitzo 1541T would be the closest I know. It is able to support 8 kg and is 41 cm when folded.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Kiasu Nation
    Posts
    532

    Default Re: Is there such a tripod around?

    Quote Originally Posted by sci80899 View Post
    My thoughts are: folded length less than 40cm but max height 1.3m would means it has to be one where the legs can fold 180 deg upwards like traveller series. And 5 section so that each section is short but extends out long enough together. 5 section tripod are usually using twist locks. And also for the legs to fold inwards, flip locks might get in the way. Hence the difficulty in your search.

    What you can consider are those with twist locks that can deploy quickly enough. Some of them are almost as fast as flip locks, the differences are probably negligible.
    yeah, actually i saw a few that fit my criteria but using twist lock so checking if anyone know a version with flip lock. Well from your description seems like not really possible

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Kiasu Nation
    Posts
    532

    Default Re: Is there such a tripod around?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fotophilic View Post
    What is your budget?

    A few month looking for a tripod seems that you may be quite demanding. Have you tried to go to Benphoto and Cathay to take a look at their tripods. I would think that for tripods, sometimes looking at the specs are not enough. You have to go there and feel how stable it is.
    hmm budget max 500

    actually already have a tripod that fit most of the description i wanted just that it is twist lock and i always find it a hassle to set up the tripod especially the part of sometimes forgetting to tighten and then the tripod shag to one side and have to guess which part is not tighten. I looking for something that can easily set up really fast, keep really fast and cross sling the tripod to the next location really fast.

    So looking around if there is a flip lock version. Seems highly unlikely
    Last edited by Fireemblem; 2nd May 2010 at 03:57 PM.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Kiasu Nation
    Posts
    532

    Default Re: Is there such a tripod around?

    Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    Here... try this Benro Tripod.

    http://www.benro.com/products_detail...8EX.html#specs

    Not totally the same spec you wanted.... but close enough
    I see thanks. Pity on the folded up length, needed 40cm or maybe max 45 cm so it can fit into the luggage for travelling.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Kiasu Nation
    Posts
    532

    Default Re: Is there such a tripod around?

    Quote Originally Posted by ArcticFox View Post
    Gitzo 1541T would be the closest I know. It is able to support 8 kg and is 41 cm when folded.
    yup know of that but well abit out of budget and dun really fit my requirement of 1.3m height without centre column

  11. #11

    Default Re: Is there such a tripod around?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fireemblem View Post
    I see thanks. Pity on the folded up length, needed 40cm or maybe max 45 cm so it can fit into the luggage for travelling.
    How about this Sirui TX2205. Folded about 37 cm


    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=686089

    Good enough for this man who review it.

    cheers

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Kiasu Nation
    Posts
    532

    Default Re: Is there such a tripod around?

    Quote Originally Posted by diver5007 View Post
    How about this Sirui TX2205. Folded about 37 cm


    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=686089

    Good enough for this man who review it.

    cheers
    well it is a also a twist lock type. I have already seen quite a few such models within my budget. So am just looking around if there just might be a flip lock version.

    seems like not really possible to have one

  13. #13

    Default Re: Is there such a tripod around?

    Bro,

    I just got for myself a Benro C069 with the B-00 ballhead. But that takes only up to 6kg. Understand that the one notch up (B-0) takes up to 8kg. And it folds to about 35cm only!!

    Initially, I was like you - having doubts over the twist versus the clip lock for the legs but having used the twist version for a while, I am beginning to think that it is in fact easier. One movement unlocks all the sections - must practise lah.

    Anyway, you may be able to get the C069 + B-0 within your $500 but if it exceeds, it doubt it will exceed very much.

    Read this review here - http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=729106

    The C069 is really light and compact. I didn't regret it at all. Will be taking it travelling with me in June for 3 weeks to the Alps and Paris.

    Call Jack (Ben Photo) - extremely helpful guy.
    Last edited by Peng Kang Hill; 2nd May 2010 at 06:03 PM.

  14. #14
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: Is there such a tripod around?

    Well TS.... if there's no tripod out there that is within your spec or buget.... maybe its time to change your spec....

    Scuba & Father... For Life

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Kiasu Nation
    Posts
    532

    Default Re: Is there such a tripod around?

    yeah guess i have to

    Thanks everyone for the contribution.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •