Thread: Aerial photography failure or success?

Default Aerial photography failure or success?

I took this photo with my Eos 400d, 200mm cannon lens at 1/300, f 5.6. As I wanted to show the viewer the contrast between light and dark as well as to highlight the effect of the mountains on the movement of clouds.

I will like feedback on photography techniques and the overall effect of the photo. More specifically I would like to ask if increasing shutter speed to reduce the white out in the clouds would allow me to enhance the effects noted above?

Your feedback is much appreciated.

Warmest regards,
    Terence

Default Re: Aerial photography failure or success?

Very dramatic, thought those mountains were painted on. Layers of clouds also very interesting. So, that's about all.

my first thought is - isn't it a waste of an aerial shot using a 200mm?
    my second thought is - isn't it a waste of an aerial shot to try to contrast the light and dark as well as highlight effect of mountains on movement of clouds?

Quote Originally Posted by pakhan View Post

I took this photo with my Eos 400d, 200mm cannon lens at 1/300, f 5.6. As I wanted to show the viewer the contrast between light and dark as well as to highlight the effect of the mountains on the movement of clouds.

I will like feedback on photography techniques and the overall effect of the photo. More specifically I would like to ask if increasing shutter speed to reduce the white out in the clouds would allow me to enhance the effects noted above?

Warmest regards,
    Terence

Nice!!! Powerful shot! I like it personally. Dun care what lens or how u shoot. As long end result is good. Keep it coming!!!
    Stay foolish, Stay Hungry - STEVE JOBS
    i love to shoot!! V3 - the animation people

Sorry, no bad intention....before I scroll down the screen, I thought....

is this the volcanic ash clouds of the Iceland ( sorry, unable to spell the volcano. )

On a serious note..relly stunning aerial photography are done from a plane flying at much lower altitude and catching those late sun light to sculpt the whatever subject, landscape or even wildlife. This pic is far too high as I'm concern.
    Last edited by cabbySHE; 3rd May 2010 at 04:12 PM.

its stunning, but, i would think if there werent so much clouds, ur picture would look much more amazing
    α850 | SAL2470Z | SAL135F18Z | SAL70200G | SAL50F1.4

Warmest regards,
    Terence

Very nice !!!!
    I like it!!!
    Is a very powerful shot!!!

Not everyone will have such chance to shot such photo.

nice photo.. the clouds seems to have a deeper meaning to it

Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon View Post
    my second thought is - isn't it a waste of an aerial shot to try to contrast the light and dark as well as highlight effect of mountains on movement of clouds?
    nah, there is no solid and fast rule as to what focal length to use for aerials - you should take a look at what some people have used with great effect.

ts -

1) focus on the composition, i thought a tighter crop discarding the top and right would be better to add focus on the contrast between mountain/cloud.

2) lowering the exposure might lend another effect, why didn't you bracket?

3) this is quite a good photograph, everything else said. it isn't a stunner, but it's certainly a keeper.

generally its a success, though the clouds could be a little darker (over exposed)

i love the framing, it leaves something for the imagination.
    Great photography are gained not thru purchases, instead it is acquired thru practice

becareful of the clouds... tendency to get them overexposed. But overall it's breadth taking.. not everyone can get on a plane to shoot such places!
    D80|Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8|Nikon 50mm f/1.8D|80-200mm f/2.8D
    PortFolio | Photo Blog

Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon View Post

why is it a waste...you seen people on choppers with 400mm before?

any this is a photo...just wish the contrast to be more and the mountains to be clearer....but i know...not easy...did u take it on a plane?
    Flickr
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    ts -

1) focus on the composition, i thought a tighter crop discarding the top and right would be better to add focus on the contrast between mountain/cloud.

2) lowering the exposure might lend another effect, why didn't you bracket?

3) this is quite a good photograph, everything else said. it isn't a stunner, but it's certainly a keeper.
    Bracketing on a flying plane with 200mm would be
    Buy Film Not Megapixels

Very nice. Can think about balancing the light and right of the photo through graduated shading, or cropping.

stunning shot!

i think the composition is just great, with the mountains in the lower left corner slowly building up into rolling cloudes in the top right corner. the dark/bright contrast is stunning!