Thread: Ideal backpack for Strobists

Default Ideal backpack for Strobists

Okay I know there are a few threads on Flickr that discuss this, but I want to ask the local photographers in Singapore about it.
    What backpack would you recommend that can carry the following:
    1) DSLR body + kit lens
    2) Additional zoom lens
    3) 3 x external flashes like SB900 or FL50
    4) Tripod for camera, E.g a Benro Travel Angel or a Slik Sprint Pro II
    5) 2 x Manfrotto Nano light-stands
    6) Full set of ND/GND filters
    7) 4 sets of Wireless triggers and receivers, can be Pocket Wizards or eBay types like Phottix/Jianisi
    8) Sekonic lightmeter
    9) 3 x Honl snoot grids and snoots
    10) 2 x Lumiquest Big Bounce cards
    11) 2 x Lumiquest softboxes

The criteria for this is a backpack which can hold EVERYTHING a strobist would need internally because in case nobody has realised it, nearly every rain cover that comes with Lowepro, Think Tank, Kata, etc CANNOT accommodate externally mounted light-stands or tripods. Meaning if you're outdoors and it starts to rain, you have to dismount any externally lashed equipment, cover the backpack with the rain cover, and then carry all the tripods and light-stands by hand. Frankly I think this oversight on the part of the designers is pretty silly? Especially since we're paying anything from a couple of hundreds to several hundreds for it. And shoulder bags are out because all the gear listed above will weigh several kilos and its not humanly possible to carry that heavy a load on one shoulder while hiking or walkabout for an entire day.

So far I've only found the following that have internal dimensions of 19" or larger:
    1) Lowepro Vertex 300
    2) Think Tank Airport Addicted v2.0

If anyone has any ideas or has a practical working all-in-one bag solution that they can share, please do post it here so everyone can share and admire your genius.
    Currently based in Melbourne / No longer living in Singapore

Default Re: Ideal backpack for Strobists

hmm, any larger and you would need rollers? why not consider rollers then?

TT Logistic Manager will give you lots of extra space.
    Nikonian!
    ~Jon's~

Default Re: Ideal backpack for Strobists

Rollers are a good idea, but the gear will be taken for a hike and a roller bag is definitely not ideal for say, a trip up Mount Kinabalu?

Just to add, I've discovered a post in Flickr in which a person says he's using a Crumpler Karachi Outpost and is able to squeeze his Manfrotto Nano light-stands between the padded compartment and the laptop compartment. Though this also means you can't carry a laptop as the laptop compartment needs to be removed. So to update the list:

1) Lowepro Vertex 300 - expensive and hard to find in S'pore
    2) Think Tank Airport Addicted v2.0 - review on Think Tank website says backpack straps are not comfortable enough for carrying for an entire day
    3) Crumpler Karachi Outpost - laptop compartment needs to be removed to accommodate light-stands and tripods
    Currently based in Melbourne / No longer living in Singapore