Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First outdoor shoot for my bike

Default Re: First outdoor shoot for my bike

Quote Originally Posted by blueacidic View Post
    I'm using the 18-55 Canon standard kit lens which came with
    my 550D body.
    Your lens, according to this page:
    http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/18...review?start=1
    18mm has the worse distortion, 28mm very slight and at 55mm the least distortion (very good). So, judging from the info, if you want to avoid "bent" straight edges and lines in your images, your best bet would be to use 28mm and 55mm focal lengths. Of course that would mean you'll have to re-adjust your position (walk backwards) to obtain almost the same frame that you've taken with 18mm. 18mm is at a wide angle - thus distortions at this focal length is fairly common and very normal. Please do not regard it as a "problem", it really depends on how you use your lens to get the best result out of it. Think of 18mm roughly as a mild "fish eye" focal length when distortions of straight lines are expected - of course it cannot beat the real dedicated fish-eye lenses out there. Use 18mm when there is nothing straight-edged in your scene.
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 5th May 2010 at 07:34 PM.

Thanks for the awesome information kriegsketten! Learnt something new today!

Quote Originally Posted by blueacidic View Post

What you mean is something like this?
    Yup, this is what I meant. I noticed you said you wanted to show the sky as well? In this case the contrast difference might have been too much-- you can see the sky is blown out when the bike is properly exposed.

With an improvised tripod like a beanbag, you could have done a HDR image, which would have accomplished showing off both

Quote Originally Posted by aprilmoon92 View Post
    Yup, this is what I meant. I noticed you said you wanted to show the sky as well? In this case the contrast difference might have been too much-- you can see the sky is blown out when the bike is properly exposed.

With an improvised tripod like a beanbag, you could have done a HDR image, which would have accomplished showing off both
    Noted and thanks for the advice! Will try out again the next time!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12