Thread: How to fully utilise my Sigma 500 super?

Default How to fully utilise my Sigma 500 super?

Hi all,

I bought a flash recently, because wanted to try portrait shoot. Yesterday, tried at Ruthbaby's shoot.

Then, I realised its another tricky business to use flash. I know nuts about what compensation and stuff like that. Most of my shot came of like point-and-shoot shots. The manual of my flash is "alien" to me. So help! Can any one advice how to fully utilise this "most wanted" flash.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxkcyeo
    Hi all,

I bought a flash recently, because wanted to try portrait shoot. Yesterday, tried at Ruthbaby's shoot.

Then, I realised its another tricky business to use flash. I know nuts about what compensation and stuff like that. Most of my shot came of like point-and-shoot shots. The manual of my flash is "alien" to me. So help! Can any one advice how to fully utilise this "most wanted" flash.

Thanks
    Outdoor portrait shoot?

Haha, what's wrong with using the flash as a "point and shoot"?
    I own the same flash and don't use half the functions on it (e.g. master/slave trigger, manual functions, multi-strobe, flash bracketing, etc.)

However, here's some tips on using flash generally:

1. Learn how to use bounced flash in a small room. You will find great satisfaction seeing your bounced flash photos coming out as good as ambient-lit photos. Say bye bye to ugly hard shadows!

2. Experiment with the FP (high-speed sync) and 2nd curtain sync functions on your flash.

3. Learn the techniques of fill-in flash. Flash need not be used only in dark places. Using fill flash in bright sunlight can help reduce shadows and give an added dimension to your subject.

4. Flash exposure compensation is useful when you know exactly how much light you need in a scene.