Thread: Sunset over city skyline - newbie HDR

Default Sunset over city skyline - newbie HDR

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Everything: composition, lighting etc. Im new at photography... landscapes in particular. I want to know how to creatively "see" the better picture. And also how to properly tone-map using HDR tools like Photomatix

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    Learn the techniques in landscape photography and make me decide if I want to purchase a UWA next week

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Eagerness. I saw the cute cloud formations so I set my DSLR to bracket, took 3 takes at 0.7 increments and made the HDR.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I think its flat thats why I need some (hopefully constructive) critique

avidbirder.net|Nikon Coolpix P520|

Default Re: Sunset over city skyline - newbie HDR

View from Joo Chiat.

Is this pic 9,999 in your shutter count ?

Soon will be getting better.

A suitable subject will fully explore the virtue of HDR, but not this one. Try shooting some interior /indoor / or near evening scene.

There are too many elements in the photo, I have no idea what the focus is and where I should look, this is a common pitfall you will encounter especially once you start playing with an ultrawide.

there is no dominating element as an anchor for attention. as sabee has pointed out, this is just a mishmash of what you see thrown together, for the sake of capturing a photo, at least that's what i see. i see little effort put into thought, into how people will view the photograph.

what interested you here? why did you take this scene? what do you intend to show, or convey?

you state that it is the cute cloud formations, have you made them the focal point here?

other htan that, your hdr is pushed too hard. i don't know if you notice some of your buildings, trees, glowing.. the light is not correct.

First of all thanks for all your comments. Highlighted in bold are my answers.. cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by cabbySHE View Post
    View from Joo Chiat.
    Yes, from Block 4 directly behind Joo Chiat Complex

I haven't actually checked my shutter count. If it's already almost 10k then Im surprised, I thought I was about at arnd 5-6k

Thanks

A suitable subject will fully explore the virtue of HDR, but not this one. Try shooting some interior /indoor / or near evening scene.
    Again thanks for the observation

Quote Originally Posted by sabee View Post
    There are too many elements in the photo, I have no idea what the focus is and where I should look, this is a common pitfall you will encounter especially once you start playing with an ultrawide.
    Thanks. Ill keep that in mind

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    there is no dominating element as an anchor for attention. as sabee has pointed out, this is just a mishmash of what you see thrown together, for the sake of capturing a photo, at least that's what i see. i see little effort put into thought, into how people will view the photograph.
    yeah, thats why I thought the image is flat. thanks for your comment on this because it will definitely improve my craft.

what interested you here? why did you take this scene? what do you intend to show, or convey?
    basically nothing. this is always where the sun sets and I just enjoy taking photos of it, waiting for the warm orange colors to appear.

you state that it is the cute cloud formations, have you made them the focal point here?
    I guess so

other htan that, your hdr is pushed too hard. i don't know if you notice some of your buildings, trees, glowing.. the light is not correct.
    Im just learning HDR. Ill keep all of your comments in mind and take them into consideration. Many thanks, you've been very helpful indeed

Aside from the purpose/ interest of this photograph, the HDR looks rather good. Just tone down the highlight a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticFox View Post
    Aside from the purpose/ interest of this photograph, the HDR looks rather good. Just tone down the highlight a bit.
    Ill keep that in mind thanks

Halo on the left side, where the white and purple building meets the sky. Also the hdb beside that building looks weird too, the top half looks darker than bottom by a lot. Generally a bit overdone as places that are supposed to be brighter are too dark while darker portions are too bright imo. Something like highlights becoming darker than shadow areas. Grads may help salvage some detail from sky without having to reduce overall highlights by too much and help balance the lighting since you're shooting into direct sunlight.

Composition wise, if you were trying to emphasise cloud, rules of thirds might have helped, generally better than horizon dead centre in frame imo.

You said you liked the warm orange colours of sunset? I like them too, and the way they play on the clouds

If you wanted to focus it more on that, you could crop this into a pano. Leave maybe a fringe of the furthest buildings to act as a frame, then the attention will be directed to the sun, the colours and the cloud textures, which come out very nice in the HDR.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty628 View Post
    Halo on the left side, where the white and purple building meets the sky. Also the hdb beside that building looks weird too, the top half looks darker than bottom by a lot. Generally a bit overdone as places that are supposed to be brighter are too dark while darker portions are too bright imo. Something like highlights becoming darker than shadow areas. Grads may help salvage some detail from sky without having to reduce overall highlights by too much and help balance the lighting since you're shooting into direct sunlight.

Composition wise, if you were trying to emphasise cloud, rules of thirds might have helped, generally better than horizon dead centre in frame imo.
    First of all, thanks for the comments. I agree that the HDB does look weird and that some places have mysterious contrasts e.g. some places that are supposed to be dark turn up bright and vice-versa.

I think there are holes in the clouds that shoot light in narrow spaces that the HDR software saw and the naked eye cannot. Btw, I did use a grad in this shot.. a tiffen 0.6 GND screwed in.

Ill keep the "rules of thirds" in mind when framing a cloudy landscape.

Thank you for your observations...

Quote Originally Posted by aprilmoon92 View Post
    You said you liked the warm orange colours of sunset? I like them too, and the way they play on the clouds

If you wanted to focus it more on that, you could crop this into a pano. Leave maybe a fringe of the furthest buildings to act as a frame, then the attention will be directed to the sun, the colours and the cloud textures, which come out very nice in the HDR.

Hi,

Thank you for your observations and suggestion. Ill keep that in mind

Quote Originally Posted by cabbySHE View Post
    View from Joo Chiat.

Haha. I think the TS didn't get this. It is with reference to his signature

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Haha. I think the TS didn't get this. It is with reference to his signature
    hahaha... now I get it. thks wildcat