Thread: Live Histogram

Question Live Histogram

does anyone here think dat live histogram an impt consideration when buying a cam??
    D700 / 14-24 f2.8 / 24-70 f2.8
    D80 / 17-50 f2.8 / 70-300 f3.5-5.6 / 80-200 f2.8

Quote Originally Posted by matoriv
    does anyone here think dat live histogram an impt consideration when buying a cam??
    It's a "nice to have" but not absolutely necessary.

Regards
    CK

For a dSLR, it's only useful of they can somehow squeeze it in the viewfinder.

hmm.. i c..
    but wouldnt it help betta?
    or metering is also e same rite?
    D700 / 14-24 f2.8 / 24-70 f2.8
    D80 / 17-50 f2.8 / 70-300 f3.5-5.6 / 80-200 f2.8

Quote Originally Posted by matoriv
    hmm.. i c..
    but wouldnt it help betta?
    or metering is also e same rite?
    No, metering is the result of a camera's internal algo. The camera reads the brightness values of a few areas in the picture, places a weighting on each value and churns out a result. This result is the camera's 'best guess'.

But a live histogram will tell me where the brightness values in my pictures fall and adjust accordingly.

For example, if i have a person indoors with a bright window behind, and the window takes up 60% of the area in the picture; a live histogram will show 2 spikes, one on each end, the darker spike for the face, the brighter one for the window.

Most likely the camera will try put the metering at a point where both 'spikes' are within range, resulting in a very dark face and a slightly blown out window - a compromise. With a live histogram, i would know what the camera was trying to do and i can compensate 'on the fly'. Assuming i wish to expose the face correctly so that there are no noisy shadows, i would overexpose the picture until the lower spike in the histogram is comfortably in the lower third of the histogram, instead of all the way in the 'shadow' region.

Without a live histogram, i can only take a 'best guess' at how much to overexpose. Sometimes, this will (unneccesarily) blow out the window completely, leaving a sea of white with no detail. Other times, the compensation would not be enough, resulting in a darker face than i would like.

Hmmm, yes, i would definitely like to see a live histogram in the viewfinder.

Quote Originally Posted by ST1100
    For a dSLR, it's only useful of they can somehow squeeze it in the viewfinder.
    Difficult or impossible for "flip mirror" type DSLR as the sensor has to be active to preview the image so that the processor can calculate the histogram.

May be possible Oly E-series type of DSLRs, I guess.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Quote Originally Posted by roygoh
    Difficult or impossible for "flip mirror" type DSLR as the sensor has to be active to preview the image so that the processor can calculate the histogram.

May be possible Oly E-series type of DSLRs, I guess.
    Well considering the price of a high end dSLR is $4k and up, i don't think it's too expensive to add a seperate low end sensor somewhere in the light path to the viewfinder. Presently AF and metering both 'steal' info from light path anyway. i would think the the harder part is how to design it into the viewfinder so that it is practically useable, ie clear, yet not taking up too much space.