Thread: Over-exposed?

Unhappy Over-exposed?

Hi,

Please advise if the problem I'm facing is due to over-exposure.

The photos I have taken with flash (indoor shots) has a "darkened" vertical area on the left side of the photos. The area range from as wide as quarter of the photo to around 3mm. It will always appear on the left side, sometimes, it will also appear on the right side.

"Darkened" means the area will be very much darkened, close to black.

Camera: Canon AT-1
    Flash sync: 1/60 only
    Film used: various; from Fuji 100/200 to Kodak 100 (consumer ones)
    Flash unit: cheapo flash cost around $50; no settings, just clip on and use.
    =edit= Lens: 50mm FD mount Canon lens

Is this over-exposure?
    Is this the result of wrong aperture settings?

I don't have any sample pix as I don't own a scanner.

Anyone?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by znais; 4th April 2004 at 10:56 PM. Reason: add in information

Hard to tell without looking at your photo. Assuming they are not the shadows of your subjects or the lens hood casting a shadow, my best guess is that your flash is not pointing straight ahead. Does it have a swivel head?

a: In these shots where the black band occur, are all of them in the vertical format?

It may be that in placing your camera vertically, your flash will be on the left and right side of the camera. This may result in uneven flash exposure, resulting in one side side being brighter and the other darker.

b: Also, do you recall your shutter speed used as well as well as the X-sync of your camera?

You may be using a shutter speed > X-sync speed, thus resulting in a black band as the shutter is moving to fast. The black part is the shutter's shadow.

Your cam and your flash look like had a problem in sync.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by linse
    Hard to tell without looking at your photo. Assuming they are not the shadows of your subjects or the lens hood casting a shadow, my best guess is that your flash is not pointing straight ahead. Does it have a swivel head?
    The flash has no swivel head. It is a fixed forward-facing type.

Quote Originally Posted by justarius
    a: In these shots where the black band occur, are all of them in the vertical format?

It may be that in placing your camera vertically, your flash will be on the left and right side of the camera. This may result in uneven flash exposure, resulting in one side side being brighter and the other darker.

b: Also, do you recall your shutter speed used as well as well as the X-sync of your camera?

You may be using a shutter speed > X-sync speed, thus resulting in a black band as the shutter is moving to fast. The black part is the shutter's shadow.
    a. The black band appears in all photos orientations, be it horizontal or vertical. If the photo is vertical, the black band will be at the top; if the photo is horizontal, it will be at the left side.
    It only happends when using flash.

b. The shutter is set to flash sync speed, 1/60.

Quote Originally Posted by photosonic
    Your cam and your flash look like had a problem in sync.
    Really? The shutter speed was set to 1/60, which is the flash sync speed. If there is a problem, is there a reason for the difference in black band areas?

Thanks.

Hi,

It's the problem of the curtain not in sync with the flash. Here's a thread that you should read.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=67488

Cheers!

huh... I'm not really a qualified technician, but if your camera is old, maybe your shutter is getting uncalibrated (shutter unable to attain shutter speed set), cos this whole thing sounds like x-sync problem. Perhaps you should get those people in peninsular to look at it..

Question curtain not in sync

Hi,

If that is so, would that affect photos taken without flash? As in, will there be also "black band" in photos taken without flash?

From the photos taken, it seems fine, but would like to hear some other opinions.

Any estimation of the cost for fixing this problem?

Thanks!