Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38

Thread: first DSLR

  1. #21

    Default Re: first DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonred View Post
    heyy, i was recently given a sony DSLR but i dont know if should sell it and get a canon instead? this is my first DSLR camera. i was only using a canon p&s and i am still rather new to photography.

    is a sony DSLR just as good? as i see many pro using either canon or nikon. i went to see the prices of the sony lenses they are rather pricey. i dont know if other brands are the same.

    i havent even open the box :P
    I know of someone, a lady & family friend, using the same camera and seemed rather happy with it. If it was a gift, you may want to treasure it in appreciation of the kind giver who gave it, especially if there was an occasion for the giving. For a beginner - I'm one by the way - it's more important to learn how to use the camera to take beautiful photos for keepsakes & not think too much about the technicalities. Just a thought. Rgds
    Last edited by macVince; 29th April 2010 at 10:32 PM.
    Hobbyist; Weekend SG Tourist

  2. #22

    Default Re: first DSLR

    Camera doesnt matter =D Its the photographer who does. I saw in one of the threads one of the pros used her samsung HP to take great pictures even after she sold her DSLR due to various reasons. As evilorgi stated Sony cameras have got built in IS whereas other brands doesnt and those lenses with IS will tend to cost more than the others. Welcome to ********* and start snapping away!
    Canon EOS 60D | EF-S10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | EF50mm f/1.8 II | (EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM if only!)

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    891

    Default Re: first DSLR

    You also might wanna take a look at 3rd party lens manufacturers like Tamron and SIgma which offer bang for the buck lenses which are usually a fraction of the price of the brand lenses but perform optically almost the same with some maybe even being better
    Buy Film Not Megapixels

  4. #24
    Member YuccaTheFlower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Hidden beneath the viewfinder
    Posts
    221

    Default Re: first DSLR

    Please note that most Sony lenses are in fact cheaper than Canon, due to the fact that their lenses do not have IS. But it still has stunning image quality. Cheers on getting a DSLR

  5. #25

    Default Re: first DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by Recoil3d View Post
    You also might wanna take a look at 3rd party lens manufacturers like Tamron and SIgma which offer bang for the buck lenses which are usually a fraction of the price of the brand lenses but perform optically almost the same with some maybe even being better
    ohhh, where can i find these lenses? i heard that you need some mount is that right?

    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonred View Post
    heyy! thank you for you advise. (: yes i appreciate the gift and the giver alot, there was no occasion for the giving. my friend just decided to give me one. hence i really appreciate it, but it was just a thought and i guess i just got swayed by the fact that most of my other friends are using canon or nikon.
    however, i agree with what you say that what is important is the photos you take that captures life moments and not really the brand of the camera. (:

    thank you!

    Quote Originally Posted by dlhero View Post
    Camera doesnt matter =D Its the photographer who does. I saw in one of the threads one of the pros used her samsung HP to take great pictures even after she sold her DSLR due to various reasons. As evilorgi stated Sony cameras have got built in IS whereas other brands doesnt and those lenses with IS will tend to cost more than the others. Welcome to ********* and start snapping away!
    thank you very much. (: i definitely agree with what you said about the camera isnt the most important thing its the photographer. (: i am sure i will enjoy snapping away!

  6. #26
    Senior Member Galdor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Planet Gaia
    Posts
    9,544

    Default Re: first DSLR

    Lenses come in various mounts so that it can fit cameras of different brands. Just visit the usual shops and get the lens you want in Sony mount and you would be able to mount the lens to the camera directly.

    You really don't have to think about all these actually. I would rather you concentrate on getting the pictures you want and find out what is lacking that the kit lens is not able to accomplish.

    Shooting with a DSLR or using a high quality lens does not guarantee that you will get good pictures. I know of someone who produces great pictures with his Sony camera and the kit lens compared to some who has a better camera and good quality lenses.

    Happy shooting.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

  7. #27

    Default Re: first DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    Lenses come in various mounts so that it can fit cameras of different brands. Just visit the usual shops and get the lens you want in Sony mount and you would be able to mount the lens to the camera directly.

    You really don't have to think about all these actually. I would rather you concentrate on getting the pictures you want and find out what is lacking that the kit lens is not able to accomplish.

    Shooting with a DSLR or using a high quality lens does not guarantee that you will get good pictures. I know of someone who produces great pictures with his Sony camera and the kit lens compared to some who has a better camera and good quality lenses.

    Happy shooting.
    wow! that is interesting. now i am not so worried about the technicalities and the must get what lens to get a certain effect. (:

    thank you so much for you help!

  8. #28

    Default Re: first DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by cleonbus View Post
    Hmmm,since you have the kit lens(18-55mm),you should see what types of genere you like.Macros,wildlife,landscapes.....

    You might wanna consider a kit-telezoom like the 55-250 or 75-300 for longer reach.Wide-angle 11-18mm for landscapes,30mm f2.8 for macro.There are lots of options for you to choose.

    If you have the time,you can make a trip down to Sony Style at Jurong Point.They have all of Sony's lenses on display from small(50mm) to big(300mm)
    i went to sony style at tampines one to take a look. they all look so nice, the sample pictures that they show. however, i like to take macros and landscapes (: i have my eye on the 30mm

    Quote Originally Posted by cleonbus View Post
    Oh,and do get a dry cabinet($108 for a 30L)to store your gear,a basic UV filter(Hoya/Tokina)to protect your kit lens and a camera bag to store your gear when u bring them out.

    Go down to Cathay Photo(Peninsula plaza) or Alan Photo(SLS/Funan) or Orient Photo(SLS) to take a look at their bags
    is it a must to put the camera in the dry cabinet? in our normal cabinet cannot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Keenblade View Post
    Just explore the Camera and see if you are comfortable with it. Usually for beginners it boils down to the user-friendly interface and form rather than function. Later on they'll start griping about performance and stuff.

    I use a 1000D myself, and I've always felt it was a "toy camera" due to its weight and size. Still, it hasn't failed me and I'm glad to have captured good moments with it.

    Welcome to CS, and if it wasn't for my friends who are using Canon, I might've gone Sony instead too =)
    Quote Originally Posted by evilorgi View Post
    i still think the brand of the dslr doesnt matter... @ least sony has IS built into the body unlike Canon or Nikon where you have to spend more on IS lenses later on...
    Quote Originally Posted by JW73 View Post
    Ask yourself,

    Are u looking for some high quality cheap older models(with or without IS) of 2nd hand L Lens from Canon? If yes, u may consider. There are tons of such lens out there.

    All brands are great.

    Are u pressured by ur friends who is using the "bigger" brands? If they do, just smile and move on.

    I was in Canon camp but now using m4/3 as my shooting needs have change. So there nothing wrong with Sony. They do have good pro lens out there but like u say it's abit pricey...u got to do research...
    ohhh! yeapp most of my friends are canon users. but after thinking about it, i guess that as long as you are comfortable with the camera and know to use it pretty easily its fine.

    didnt know that the other cameras does not have IS. i thought most of them now should have it, guess i thought wrong :P

  9. #29

    Default Re: first DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by YuccaTheFlower View Post
    Please note that most Sony lenses are in fact cheaper than Canon, due to the fact that their lenses do not have IS. But it still has stunning image quality. Cheers on getting a DSLR
    (: ohhh i see! thank you so much. i am glad my friend bought it for me!

  10. #30

    Default Re: first DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonred View Post
    (: ohhh i see! thank you so much. i am glad my friend bought it for me!
    Your friend so good sia can intro me anot? I also want a friend like this lol.. Anyway, if you think a dry cabinet is not within your budget right now then get a dry box first.. It'll probably cost around 20-30 dollars and it's better to give your camera and lenses the protection they deserves
    Canon EOS 60D | EF-S10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | EF50mm f/1.8 II | (EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM if only!)

  11. #31
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: first DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonred View Post
    heyy, i was recently given a sony DSLR but i dont know if should sell it and get a canon instead? this is my first DSLR camera. i was only using a canon p&s and i am still rather new to photography.

    is a sony DSLR just as good? as i see many pro using either canon or nikon. i went to see the prices of the sony lenses they are rather pricey. i dont know if other brands are the same.

    i havent even open the box :P
    Keep your Sony. It is a good cam.

    Many pros use C & N because:

    1. A lot of them are tied in to the systems because they have been using them for a long time, with tons of lenses and accessories. Staying with the same system makes sense.

    2. Some pros are sponsored by C & N. Having more camera sales and bigger marketing budget, they can sponsor more.

    3. C & N has some very special purpose lenses. Which the common folk like you and me will never use. But some pros do.

    4. C & N offers some very very high end equipment that some pros require that you and me will never need.

    So there. I think you will do very good with Sony. Stay with it and learn it, use it and get good.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 30th April 2010 at 12:56 PM.

  12. #32
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    7,061

    Default Re: first DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonred View Post
    is it a must to put the camera in the dry cabinet? in our normal cabinet cannot?
    Not a must to put your camera in dry cabinet.But when fungus starts growing on your lens then you'll start to get a dry cabinet.

    Normal cabinet as in wardrobe?Dry cabinets helps to control the temperature inside.Wardrobe is for storing clothes,not cameras

  13. #33
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    7,061

    Default Re: first DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by dlhero View Post
    Camera doesnt matter =D Its the photographer who does. I saw in one of the threads one of the pros used her samsung HP to take great pictures even after she sold her DSLR due to various reasons. As evilorgi stated Sony cameras have got built in IS whereas other brands doesnt and those lenses with IS will tend to cost more than the others. Welcome to ********* and start snapping away!
    Pentax cameras also has built-in SR(shake reduction) which is the same as IS

  14. #34

    Default Re: first DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Keep your Sony. It is a good cam.

    Many pros use C & N because:

    1. A lot of them are tied in to the systems because they have been using them for a long time, with tons of lenses and accessories. Staying with the same system makes sense.

    2. Some pros are sponsored by C & N. Having more camera sales and bigger marketing budget, they can sponsor more.

    3. C & N has some very special purpose lenses. Which the common folk like you and me will never use. But some pros do.

    4. C & N offers some very very high end equipment that some pros require that you and me will never need.

    So there. I think you will do very good with Sony. Stay with it and learn it, use it and get good.


    Cant agree any more . My sentiments exactly

    I wish i have a fren who can give me a DSLR haha . Cheers
    Alpha and Omega

  15. #35

    Default Re: first DSLR

    Hi, P&S is good for outdoor, sunlight photos. Indoor, DSLR is useful.

  16. #36

    Default Re: first DSLR

    ohhh! yeapp most of my friends are canon users. but after thinking about it, i guess that as long as you are comfortable with the camera and know to use it pretty easily its fine.

    [/QUOTE]

    I can understand thatAfter awhile shooting together with them, they will soon understand there are not much differences. However, when group together peope like to talk more abt equipment rather than getting effort to get the right shot. Just got to live with it.

  17. #37

    Default Re: first DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by cleonbus View Post
    Pentax cameras also has built-in SR(shake reduction) which is the same as IS
    Lol bro i know and i like pentax too.. =D However TS talking abt Sony so i just tell him abt the cam abit ah =x
    Canon EOS 60D | EF-S10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | EF50mm f/1.8 II | (EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM if only!)

  18. #38
    Member voxies09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    651

    Default Re: first DSLR

    a good dslr is the one that you love it and dont care what ppl says .
    Canon Kiss X4 | 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II Kit lens | 50mm f1.8

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •