Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 73 of 73

Thread: how to 'hide' your dslr during walk about?

  1. #61
    Member voxies09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    651

    Default Re: how to 'hide' your dslr during walk about?

    i think they started with auto.. subsequently they might explorer their capability..
    Canon Kiss X4 | 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II Kit lens | 50mm f1.8

  2. #62

    Default Re: how to 'hide' your dslr during walk about?

    Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    On the places you pointed out, care to share your specific experiences that made you feel that way?
    Quote Originally Posted by kaylan2000 View Post
    Hide and keeping low profile are two different things.

    Hide is you are doing something wrong or perceived as wrong by other person.

    Keeping low profile is, you don't want to attract unnecessary attention and consequences.

    Try to display your expensive gear in a remote lanes in UK or "Gh*****" in US or in not so popular tourist places in India, Nepal (most of SEA), Nigeria (most of Africa). I bet you will not have that luxury to display it too long!! someone else will be displaying that by that time.

    Sorry, no offence to any areas, some places are not that safe to display your expensive items.
    Quote Originally Posted by kaylan2000 View Post
    You will be robbed in few minutes, if you do not keep low profile. If you resist, you will be physically harmed!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    Oh man,sorry to hear that, which country was it that you encountered it?
    Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    I walk around much of Siem Reap, Cambodia.... with my 40D+100-400mm L lens, on a DIY 'Black Rapid' sling for all to see.... and no one even tried anything. I won't said that just because you are in an 'under developed' country... something will happen
    Which is why I was wondering about kaylan2000's statements implying that a DSLR holder would be robbed simply because one is are in a less developed country is based on personal experience.

    No doubt Singapore can cause us to be complacent about security. The point is that if we should not be careless or negligent and seek troubled spots at unsafe hours, regardless of where we are. To say that one would be robbed within minutes of displaying a DSLR in undeveloped countries sounds a bit alarmist and an unfair overgeneralisation to me.

  3. #63

    Default Re: how to 'hide' your dslr during walk about?

    Quote Originally Posted by furyhawk View Post
    was on the street with my stock 550d. find myself abit too conspicuous.

    any strap to recommend? and how to reduce your profile?
    simple, i hide it in my pants.

  4. #64
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    here
    Posts
    1,350

    Default Re: how to 'hide' your dslr during walk about?

    Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    ...

    No doubt Singapore can cause us to be complacent about security. The point is that if we should not be careless or negligent and seek troubled spots at unsafe hours, regardless of where we are. To say that one would be robbed within minutes of displaying a DSLR in undeveloped countries sounds a bit alarmist and an unfair overgeneralisation to me.


    Anyways, TS: wherever you are, whatever you're shooting with, be aware of your surrounding and how you behave and do use some common sense. If you're sticking out like a sore thumb and snapping away at everything you see, I guess you're just asking for it.

    "Uglifying" the camera is also something you can do when you visit "under developed" countries. Of course, the inconspicuous bag too will help. But having to resort to just bringing your pns because you are too scared just doesn't sit too well with me.

  5. #65

    Default Re: how to 'hide' your dslr during walk about?

    Hi, handcarry it or sling around shoulder and let it be your best friend as today many ppl using expensive handphonetalking while walking anywhere and everywhere indoors and outdoors, including toilets.

  6. #66
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: how to 'hide' your dslr during walk about?

    Quote Originally Posted by aspenx View Post


    Anyways, TS: wherever you are, whatever you're shooting with, be aware of your surrounding and how you behave and do use some common sense. If you're sticking out like a sore thumb and snapping away at everything you see, I guess you're just asking for it.

    "Uglifying" the camera is also something you can do when you visit "under developed" countries. Of course, the inconspicuous bag too will help. But having to resort to just bringing your pns because you are too scared just doesn't sit too well with me.

    Sorry.... I can't agree with this.

    If you are going to be rob/attack in an 'under' or 'over' developed country.... a brand new looking or 'Uglifying' camera would meant very little. You will be rob/attack just because you are a forginer, had something the robber/attacker doesn't have or just beacause you are at the wrong place at the wrong time..... Gaffee tape isn't really any form of camo... when the SIZE of your camera will surely give you away.

    Just use your common sense when travelling overseas or even around S'pore. If anyone here lack common sense on how to keep yourself or your property save.... then maybe its time you pay 'School Fees' to learn

    Scuba & Father... For Life

  7. #67

    Default Re: how to 'hide' your dslr during walk about?

    Hmm...try shoulder slinging it. But be careful when you are doing it. If you are not careful, the camera may fall to the ground!!!

    If you look uncomfortable taking photographs, ppl will notice more. Maybe it's just me, but i pay more attention to ppl holding DSLRs than ppl holding PnS.
    Photography is not learned in a day's time. Camera:Fujifilm Prosumer Camera S2500HD

  8. #68
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    here
    Posts
    1,350

    Default Re: how to 'hide' your dslr during walk about?

    Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    Sorry.... I can't agree with this.

    If you are going to be rob/attack in an 'under' or 'over' developed country.... a brand new looking or 'Uglifying' camera would meant very little. You will be rob/attack just because you are a forginer, had something the robber/attacker doesn't have or just beacause you are at the wrong place at the wrong time..... Gaffee tape isn't really any form of camo... when the SIZE of your camera will surely give you away.

    Just use your common sense when travelling overseas or even around S'pore. If anyone here lack common sense on how to keep yourself or your property save.... then maybe its time you pay 'School Fees' to learn
    I'm not saying that it's FOOL-PROOF.

    Just merely stating that some people do it as a form of deterrent. Size of camera? Does it even matter if you are just going to grab whatever you can and sell it off to feed your family for one meal or something? Even your irritating cheapo camera phone that you choose to bring (instead of your expensive iPhone or whatever because you feel that it will "attract too much attention") is a potential target really.

  9. #69
    Member kaylan2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    552

    Default Re: how to 'hide' your dslr during walk about?

    I do understand that many of us having great difficulties in understanding the threat. It's the same way, we old people are unable to understand internet threats, like Virus, Trojan, Malware, phising, hacking, cyber squatting etc.

    One of the most authentic information for travelers, especially for backpackers is Lonely Planet. Have a look at here http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntre...amera+safety&=

    In case the link does not work then search for 'camera safety' on lonely planet.

    There is a mixed experience as expected. Now the question : would you like to be one of the victim?
    To me, I would rather play safe than sorry.

    As I mentioned earlier, it may not be an issue in Singapore, neither in any popular tourist places or with a tourist group like Chan brothers or our common Makan and Shopping tour. It's when you go off road!! Many of us believe most of the exciting places and experience are away from popular places.

    Ultimately, it's you and your camera, choice is entirely yours.
    1Ds II | EF 16-35L| EF 24-105L | EF 35f/2.0 | EF 50f/1.8 | EF 85f/1.8 | EF 100L |EF 70-300L| EX 550

  10. #70
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: how to 'hide' your dslr during walk about?

    Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    I walk around much of Siem Reap, Cambodia.... with my 40D+100-400mm L lens, on a DIY 'Black Rapid' sling for all to see.... and no one even tried anything. I won't said that just because you are in an 'under developed' country... something will happen
    It is not about under-developed or developed countries. But some places are very dangerous to be holding a DSLR openly. Examples like Rio Brazil, Guangzhou China, Naples Italy comes to mind.

  11. #71
    Member kaylan2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    552

    Default Re: how to 'hide' your dslr during walk about?

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    It is not about under-developed or developed countries. But some places are very dangerous to be holding a DSLR openly. Examples like Rio Brazil, Guangzhou China, Naples Italy comes to mind.
    Give them benefit of doubt
    They have not seen the ugly part of the world
    1Ds II | EF 16-35L| EF 24-105L | EF 35f/2.0 | EF 50f/1.8 | EF 85f/1.8 | EF 100L |EF 70-300L| EX 550

  12. #72
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: how to 'hide' your dslr during walk about?

    Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    Sorry.... I can't agree with this.

    If you are going to be rob/attack in an 'under' or 'over' developed country.... a brand new looking or 'Uglifying' camera would meant very little. You will be rob/attack just because you are a forginer, had something the robber/attacker doesn't have or just beacause you are at the wrong place at the wrong time..... Gaffee tape isn't really any form of camo... when the SIZE of your camera will surely give you away.

    Just use your common sense when travelling overseas or even around S'pore. If anyone here lack common sense on how to keep yourself or your property save.... then maybe its time you pay 'School Fees' to learn
    Actually, uglifying cameras helps. It might not reduce too much your probability of getting robbed. But it has helped as robbers do their deed fast and just grab what they see as of value and move on. If your camera is ugly enough, they might leave it alone. But this is only one of the few steps to being careful of your surroundings. There are more to be done to be low profile. Dressing, talking, choice of bag, behavior all factors in.

    Check this story out:
    http://current.com/1cqru4c

    And also know that these thieves are NOT uneducated idiots that grab at anything. They know what is worth money. They know film cameras are hard to sell. digital cameras is the way to go. They also know a outwardly weathered an dirty looking camera will be extremely hard to sell. They know enough about brands and digital cameras but do not know in detail as most of us do. So uglifying do help. But personally, if I am going to those places, I will still bring my old PnS instead.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 1st May 2010 at 01:47 PM.

  13. #73
    Member hotwork77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    119'37.70"N 10347'39.19"E
    Posts
    1,353

    Default Re: how to 'hide' your dslr during walk about?

    Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    Which is why I was wondering about kaylan2000's statements implying that a DSLR holder would be robbed simply because one is are in a less developed country is based on personal experience.

    No doubt Singapore can cause us to be complacent about security. The point is that if we should not be careless or negligent and seek troubled spots at unsafe hours, regardless of where we are. To say that one would be robbed within minutes of displaying a DSLR in undeveloped countries sounds a bit alarmist and an unfair overgeneralisation to me.
    Robbed in Singapore is unlikely. It's more of opportunist theft.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •