Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lense recommandations/help for D5000

Default Re: Lense recommandations/help for D5000

Tialimpeikong!

Sickhorse 70-300 no good! Nikon 55-200 much better! Dont need think so much, just hoot! Shoot plane need long lens! Song ah

Quote Originally Posted by Override2Zion View Post
    Hey, sorry about that Leo Chin, I kinda confused your post with another guy who posted something similar. Yeap sometimes people who aren't into photography won't understand why we need to buy new "accessories" for our camera when we already have a functioning unit.

The price of the Nikkor 18-200 is about SGD$1100-1200. Alternatively you can try looking under the buy and sell section, you might be lucky to find a good buy at $800-$900.
    Wow! Thats really expensive. I wonder if Sigma has such lenses? Anyway, will Sigma 55-200mm be the all in lens? I know Sigma is lot more cheaper!

Deregistered

Welcome to CS

With your budget, personally I guess it's probably better to get a Nikkor 55-200mm... Don't really need to think too much..

Quote Originally Posted by chillicutter View Post
    With your budget, personally I guess it's probably better to get a Nikkor 55-200mm... Don't really need to think too much..
    May I know the pricing? And I saw Sigma 55-200mm. Is it in par or comparison with the Nikkor 55-200mm?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Chin View Post
    May I know the pricing? And I saw Sigma 55-200mm. Is it in par or comparison with the Nikkor 55-200mm?

Thanks!
    I think I saw some review somewhere saying the Sigma is softer than the Nikkor, so you might wanna consider that. Also, the lack of optical stabilisation is a dealbreaker for such a telezoom, you'll need to shoot at at least 1/300s to get a stable shot at 200mm - 300mm if used on a crop sensor (using the 1/focal length rule). If ur hands more steady you'll prolly get away with a lower shutter speed but limiting ur shots with high shutter speed isn't very good imo.

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    I think I saw some review somewhere saying the Sigma is softer than the Nikkor, so you might wanna consider that. Also, the lack of optical stabilisation is a dealbreaker for such a telezoom, you'll need to shoot at at least 1/300s to get a stable shot at 200mm - 300mm if used on a crop sensor (using the 1/focal length rule). If ur hands more steady you'll prolly get away with a lower shutter speed but limiting ur shots with high shutter speed isn't very good imo.
    Hey! Thanks for bring up (using the 1/focal length rule). I really need help in understanding this formula. Focal length as in the zoom I've twisted on my lens? Hm, I think you're right. I read it too. So Nikkor for Nikon sounds more logical.. Haha!

Blog Entries

Hey! Thanks for bring up (using the 1/focal length rule). I really need help in understanding this formula. Focal length as in the zoom I've twisted on my lens? Hm, I think you're right. I read it too. So Nikkor for Nikon sounds more logical.. Haha!
    Actually Nikkor (or Nikon lens) is just a brand. And Nikon has made some bad lenses as well. It is better to evaluate each lens individually than just generalize that Nikkor lenses are the best for Nikon cameras.

That said, I've used the 55-200VR and have to say it is an excellent lens for the price. With your budget, you cannot go wrong with this lens. The only thing that might cause worry is the plastic lens mount. But if you take care when using it, it shouldn't be a problem. Here are a couple of pics I took with the lens at 200mm

The following is shot at 200mm and further cropped.

very minimal sharpening, contrast and color adjustment.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 30th April 2010 at 03:47 AM.

I really can't be bothered with those reviewers saying things like lousy build quality, plastic mount etc etc. Chances are you're not gonna throw your lens around or use it to hit people, so it shouldn't spoil that easily. And, plastic makes this lens light, and balances well on lighter camera bodies, like D5000.

Hi friends of CS,

I'm a total newbie to DSLR and I'd really appreciate if anyone would kindly help me out in selecting a new lens. Currently, I'm having the default(18-55mm) lens and would like to upgrade to a better performing lens.

I'm a plane spotter and would really love to shoot jets, sunsets, clouds and birds/animals/mammals(humans). I read on some forums that Sigma lenses are great and cheaper, I'm not sure how true is this and recently, I saw this 55-200mm and 70-300mm. I'm not sure if those lenses would fit me in those categories I want to shoot. And my budget for the new lens is around $300-$450.

I'd really be grateful if someone would recommend me a lens that could fulfill those categories of shots I want.

Thank you all!

Cheers!

Leo
    Thanks for the reply and advice, I saw this 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO-M DG Macro [$365 MS, Feb10] in the pricelist guide. Will this be a good lens for me in regards to shoot planes? Technically speaking, I spent more time shooting sunset than planes, therefore will Sigma 55-200mm be a better choice?
    Quote Originally Posted by Override2Zion View Post
    The Sigma 70-300 is a very good lens for its price, considering its weight and macro ability.
    If you decide to shoot sunsets only, i would advise you to get the wider angle Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 instead. Its a faster lens that will allow you to shoot lower light but it would burst your budget by nearly $200. The Nikkor 18-200mm is a good all-rounder but it exceeds your budget by quite a margin. The Nikkor 18-200mm is out unless you are willing to pay more. Personally, I would try to persuade my dad to buy the 18-200 if I were as lucky as you
    Heh Heh, you're wrong man! I'm paying everything myself, this hobby of mine isn't really understood by my family members. But I'm quite sure you all know what I meant. So how much is the 18-200mm price?
    hey TS

with reference to all the previous posting, there are some good advice and some personal advice which probably doesn't suit you. You have to filter out the right ones for you.

like what daredevil said... a lens is still a lens... you have to read the review of the individual lens to know which are the better ones. These review usually will include whether it is value for money. (and including image quality if this is what you are after also)

1. 18-200 is the multi-purpose or the all in one zoom lens covering all the usual range you will be shooting.
    2. 55-200 like what zerocoolastra said is to pair up with your kit lens.
    3. 70-300 has a further reach than 200 at 1.5 times but this may also not be enough if you like your photo to fill the frame depending on how far you are away from the plane.
    4. considering your budget and you wanted an all rounded lens. probably 18-200 will be a good start.
    5. Your kit lens most likely have VR (vibration reduction) and such feature will be most useful if you are shooting at the longest end of the zoom or unless you are able to shoot at a really high shutterspeed or high iso.

6. Now for my personal point of view advice,
    6.1. the sigma 18-200 OS (optical stabilisation) is probably much closer to your budget but it is still just outside your budget. The 2nd hand ones selling here range from $500-600. So you might want to sell your kit lens to finance it or save up more before committing to it.
    6.2. sigma 70-300 os price is not too far behind 18-200 os. This is also a lens you might want to consider. (read post from Override2Zion)
    6.3. nikkor 55-200 VR is within your buget also.
    6.4. tamron 18-200 at your lower end of the budget (2nd hand)
    6.5 sigma 18-200 at your higher end of the budget (2nd hand)

7.1. Lazy or difficult condition to change lens, just get the 18-200 (no vr, os or vc)
    7.2. reach more important get 70-300
    7.3. hand tend to shake, 55-200 vr, still within your budget...

8. etc.... too much to type.... go do your homework and do some soul searching...

going WAYYYYY off the scale here:

TS, I recommend you get this lens

that's the Nikon AF-S VR 400mm f/2.8

The few great things about it:
    1) It has VR, so it'll help you stabilize your shot
    2) It is an AF-S lens, so you have auto-focus capability with your D5000

Can't go wrong..

but seriously...
    Your budget is a bit limited, hence I recommended Nikon 55-200mm VR to use as a pair with your 18-55mmVR, thus effectively covering the 18-200mm range, albeit requiring you to change lenses.
    18-55 + 55-200 costs much less than a single 18-200 lens, and I think optically the pair of them will produce better image quality across the range.
    When you just wanna walk around, the D5000 + 18-55 makes it a very lightweight setup.
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    I really can't be bothered with those reviewers saying things like lousy build quality, plastic mount etc etc. Chances are you're not gonna throw your lens around or use it to hit people, so it shouldn't spoil that easily. And, plastic makes this lens light, and balances well on lighter camera bodies, like D5000.
    Tialimpeikong!

But Limpei always drop his len and use it to zham paikia son. Lousy lens sure break! Limpei see lousy plastic lens laolan, no metal no shiok.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12