Thread: Keeping RAW

Default Keeping RAW

Just curious, do you guys keep RAW file. I mean native RAW file as like Nikon.NEF or Canon.CRW. OR just convert into .DNG
    A photo is an art painted by light.

Default Re: Keeping RAW

keeping it... no conversion to dng
    Never forget rule 5
    My Flickr

I convert to DNG when importing to LR. Since the image data are not changed no point keeping the old Canon format files.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    keeping it... no conversion to dng
    just a little more curious of how is your workflow like...mind to share.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    I convert to DNG when importing to LR. Since the image data are not changed no point keeping the old Canon format files.
    So can I assume that NEF/CRW file and DNG file is both identical except in format?
    If yes then I might discard my NEF file that had been converted to DNG.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Matter View Post
    just a little more curious of how is your workflow like...mind to share.
    1. Download files from CF card to harddisk
    2. Import into LR
    3. After checking that all files are ok, format CF card
    4. Adjustments in LR
    5. Export to web or jpg for printing
    6. archive files on 2 separate HD

i dont see a real advantage of DNG over NEF. To process a NEF you do not rely only on Nikon software, there are plenty of other converters such as LR to convert from RAW to jpeg, usually the same software is also used to convert DNG to jpeg. So converting to DNG is just another step that takes time and effort which i can avoid.
    Never forget rule 5
    My Flickr

I'm curious why others aren't following Pentax's example of offering users the option of DNG RAW files when they shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by watchthewaves View Post
    I'm curious why others aren't following Pentax's example of offering users the option of DNG RAW files when they shoot.
    Because the RAW files contain more than just the image: focus points, camera settings, picture styles .. GPS data if available. All this requires co-operation among the camera manufacturers to define a standard. How likely is that?
    EOS

I shoot in NEF. Just like negatives. Processed it with NX2 but the original NEF is left intact. Let's say in 2090, if I wanna re-process the NEF, it's still like I shot it in 2010. On condition, both the NX2 and I are still around.
    In short, keep all your RAW. You may not know when you need it again as JPEGs will degenerate (or self-destruct). Also, storage is relatively cheap. (A friend once showed me an original receipt issued by IBM Australia in 1961 for almost almost A$1 million for 5 megabytes of storage)

Quote Originally Posted by oldchaptoday View Post
    I shoot in NEF. Just like negatives. Processed it with NX2 but the original NEF is left intact. Let's say in 2090, if I wanna re-process the NEF, it's still like I shot it in 2010. On condition, both the NX2 and I are still around.
    In short, keep all your RAW. You may not know when you need it again as JPEGs will degenerate (or self-destruct). Also, storage is relatively cheap. (A friend once showed me an original receipt issued by IBM Australia in 1961 for almost almost A$1 million for 5 megabytes of storage)
    JPG degenerate? Interesting theory, can elaborate further? What kind of "time bomb" is there embedded?
    What if your condition "NX2 still around" is not fulfilled? DNG as open standard has good chances to stand the test of time, proprietary formats can disappear any time.
    EOS

JPG degenerate? Interesting theory, can elaborate further? What kind of "time bomb" is there embedded?
    What if your condition "NX2 still around" is not fulfilled? DNG as open standard has good chances to stand the test of time, proprietary formats can disappear any time.
    This is what I read on Lr books/Guide, and thats why I convert to DNG. But for the moment I am keeping my NEF.

NEF= From Camera.
    DNG= Converted into Lr (before edit) Full size (resolution).
    TIF= After edit in Lr or CS (Original resolution).
    JPG= Resize to (depending on purpose like web or print or wallpaper)

Am I doing in a sensible flow or am I not effecient. Any advise on my Workflow?
    Cause I am basically keeping 4 formats with a single photo and thats quite alot of space (especially NEF and DNG). For now still ok but over the time space issue will arise.

Interesting thread you have started, Dark Matter.
    Like some of the CS-ers have mentioned, I convert all my CR2 into DNG and keep everything as DNG.
    I still haven't developed the habit of saving in TIFF, though I know I should.
    But more often, I keep them in .PSD format.
    Final version then I save in JPG.

Because the RAW files contain more than just the image: focus points, camera settings, picture styles .. GPS data if available. All this requires co-operation among the camera manufacturers to define a standard. How likely is that?
    For all that additional data, isn't that what EXIF is for? Still learning here.

Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    Interesting thread you have started, Dark Matter.
    Like some of the CS-ers have mentioned, I convert all my CR2 into DNG and keep everything as DNG.
    I still haven't developed the habit of saving in TIFF, though I know I should.
    But more often, I keep them in .PSD format.
    Final version then I save in JPG.

Tiff is good...but the file size is superb too..so large...
    I think I'll juz keep the raw file at most...
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

Quote Originally Posted by ovaltinemilo View Post
    Tiff is good...but the file size is superb too..so large...
    I think I'll juz keep the raw file at most...
    Can I know how big is your TIF file size?

when convert raw..it's easily 35mb fpr 1 photo...I can't afford the space!
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

jpeg: he might refer degeneration due to repeated saving of the file or repeated compression. Regarding dng. You need a third party software for the conversion. The same 3rd party software is also doing RAW to jpeg conversion. You don't need cam manufacturer software. I guess you can assume that supports the conversion today will also support it on the future.
    Never forget rule 5
    My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by ovaltinemilo View Post
    when convert raw..it's easily 35mb fpr 1 photo...I can't afford the space!
    My DNG file only at average 17mb. and my TIFF about 5.5mb only. Why such big different. ?
    Did I do something wrong?? Am using D90.