Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Is this the Ultimate Budget Travel Tripod combo?

Default Re: Is this the Ultimate Budget Travel Tripod combo?

Wanted something light, so bought SIRUI T2204X from TK. Added a Manfrotto 410 Gear Head to it for landscape/scenery photography. It is fantastic! Combined weight is now 2.3kg which IMHO very acceptable for such setup. From my personal perspective, I think the SIRUI tripods indeed great value for money.

Quote Originally Posted by mod101 View Post
    Wanted something light, so bought SIRUI T2204X from TK. Added a Manfrotto 410 Gear Head to it for landscape/scenery photography. It is fantastic! Combined weight is now 2.3kg which IMHO very acceptable for such setup. From my personal perspective, I think the SIRUI tripods indeed great value for money.
    Hmm..I find 2.3kg very heavy.

I'm looking for a really good , light and compact tripod.....mainly for travelling. Any suggestion of which TX series to go with which head ?

When I travel I use the SIRUI T-2204X (1.1kg) + Manfrotto 496RC2 ballhead (0.42kg) which works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Eijnaix View Post
    I'm looking for a really good , light and compact tripod.....mainly for travelling. Any suggestion of which TX series to go with which head ?

Here is a huge panorama shot of the hills at Peak District England.
    Its a composite of six images. Not well merged as you can still see the light and dark merging. Capture taken with the tripod set up.

One important lesson to share. The ground was not flat as a result, panning was tricky and necessitated to adjust the legs to level it out. Using a water level on top of the camera does not work when the ball head base is not level.

Check it out here

Hi all. currently looking to get my 1st tripod and as such really got no experience at choosing tripod. Heard that to be able to take windy condition the tripod need to be heavy. about how heavy is considered ok? planning to go places like the top of mbs or duxton. at the same time would like to carry a light weight tripod.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by eternalSun View Post
    Hi all. currently looking to get my 1st tripod and as such really got no experience at choosing tripod. Heard that to be able to take windy condition the tripod need to be heavy. about how heavy is considered ok? planning to go places like the top of mbs or duxton. at the same time would like to carry a light weight tripod.
    MBS skypark doesn't allow tripods FYI...

one less worry to worry about than so about what weight is acceptable for windy condition like ontop duxton?? sorry if my question sounds abit stupid....

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by eternalSun View Post
    one less worry to worry about than so about what weight is acceptable for windy condition like ontop duxton?? sorry if my question sounds abit stupid....
    Any weight will do.You can hook your bag on the centre column(There should be a hook to hook your bag) to make your tripod stabilised if you feel its too light

haha thanks thanks. in that case i shall go for <1kg tripod

Sirui fans here!
    Am using a budget Sirui T1005X, the cheapest tripod with the G20 ball head.
    Total weight is only 940g~ 200g more then the CF ones. Pretty stable despite being a travel tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by frostiee View Post
    Sirui fans here!
    Am using a budget Sirui T1005X, the cheapest tripod with the G20 ball head.
    Total weight is only 940g~ 200g more then the CF ones. Pretty stable despite being a travel tripod.
    Was thinking of sirui as well. going to go take a look at their range later at TK Photo hopefully can decide on what to get.

New user of Sirui too after seeing this thread. Was planning to buy T1005X due to the ultra short length and light weight. Ended up paying close to $200 more for the bigger bro T2204X.

Looks good and steady. The sections of each leg can be extended altogether with just one twist and pull.
    EOS 60D, Canon17-55/2.8 IS, Canon EFS 10-22, Sigma 70-300 AG Macro, 50/1.8, Canon 580EX II

Quote Originally Posted by avalancheseah View Post
    New user of Sirui too after seeing this thread. Was planning to buy T1005X due to the ultra short length and light weight. Ended up paying close to $200 more for the bigger bro T2204X.

Looks good and steady. The sections of each leg can be extended altogether with just one twist and pull.
    Good buy! I went for the N2204 because of the great number of extra options. But for travelling, T2204X is the best buy (seen and felt its performance of vibration handling)!
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

First off, a big thank you to Canonized for the excellent review of the T2205. If not for your effort, I would most probably not have considered the Sirui brand.

I was in the market for a more modern set of legs and decided to pay a visit to TK after a shooting session at the Suntec City FlowerGardens Exhibition earlier today.
    As it ended up, the 2 friends who 'tagged along' got poisoned and both of them are now the proud owners of Sirui R1204 CF tripods. (I got the R2204)

We met a very jovial and friendly gentleman, Mr Philip Chang who patiently showed and explained the workings of the tripods and G10/G20 heads ...he took the time to demonstrate to us how to setup the G10 head with one of our 500D/18-200mm combo and long exposure test-shots which showed no signs of creep (Either the lens too light or they improved the G10 heads)

I understand from Philip that they only recently received stocks of the new R series CF legs and the R1204 with G10 head at only S$290 has got to be one of the most affordable bang for the buck deal in town.

I certainly see a T1205X travelling setup for myself in the near future !

Got rid of the foc tripod that came with my dslr, too filmsy and shaky.

I got R1204 with G10 head at S$290 last sat ...but only to realize that they have actually listed the price for this setup in their facebook at $270.

You are most welcome!
    Congrats on your new tripod setup. Philip is indeed helpful and friendly. A good tripod is a key piece of equipment for serious photographers. Hopefully it will help you to capture great photos!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostfit View Post
    First off, a big thank you to Canonized for the excellent review of the T2205. If not for your effort, I would most probably not have considered the Sirui brand.

I was in the market for a more modern set of legs and decided to pay a visit to TK after a shooting session at the Suntec City FlowerGardens Exhibition earlier today.
    As it ended up, the 2 friends who 'tagged along' got poisoned and both of them are now the proud owners of Sirui R1204 CF tripods. (I got the R2204)

We met a very jovial and friendly gentleman, Mr Philip Chang who patiently showed and explained the workings of the tripods and G10/G20 heads ...he took the time to demonstrate to us how to setup the G10 head with one of our 500D/18-200mm combo and long exposure test-shots which showed no signs of creep (Either the lens too light or they improved the G10 heads)

I understand from Philip that they only recently received stocks of the new R series CF legs and the R1204 with G10 head at only S$290 has got to be one of the most affordable bang for the buck deal in town.

Default Update - caution advised for high usage of SIRUI tripod overseas

Late September I went to California, Utah, Arizona for a two week photography road trip. At my second major stop at Yosemite National Park, I suffered a major tripod disaster. My Sirui that had performed so well over the many trips until now - nearly collapsed completely when the screw and nut that holds each leg to the main body came loose. In fact, two of the three legs the screws actually was obviously loose. While I did not have any tool at hand, I tried fruitlessly to use my fingers to tighten the screws - which of course did not work. As I needed to use the tripod, I proceeded despite the tripod behaving as if it was about to collapse and was unstable. Fortunately that did not happen. What was a shocker though was when I came down the canyon on the first day, I found one nut completely missing from one of its legs when I prepared for the next day's shoot. That to me was a disaster as I did not have with me a backup tripod and did not have spares on me. But thank my lucky stars - the town had a complete handyman store and was able to provide me with a set of screws and nuts and an allen key set to tighten all the screws. The colour did not match of course but that is the least of my problems as long as the tripod was still serviceable and working. So on the second day of shoot at Yosemite, the SIRUI was working as good as before - but with unmatching screws. Something I plan to raise with the local resellers.

Lesson here? If you own a SIRUI, keep a close eye on the screw and nut of the joints of each leg. If you travel for some period of time, make sure you have an allen key to tighten the bolts. Otherwise, there is hell to pay if the bolts drop off. Carrying around a useless tripod on a trip is not funny.

Do I still recommend the tripod?
    Yes but with a caution that you keep an Allen key handy.

Cheers
    Last edited by Canonized; 7th November 2010 at 08:36 PM.

Default Re: Update - caution advised for high usage of SIRUI tripod overseas

Quote Originally Posted by Canonized View Post
    Lesson here? If you own a SIRUI, keep a close eye on the screw and nut of the joints of each leg. If you travel for some period of time, make sure you have an allen key to tighten the bolts. Otherwise, there is hell to pay if the bolts drop off. Carrying around a useless tripod on a trip is not funny.

Thanks for the heads up ...now where's that bottle of locktite

Remember back in July, I mentioned:

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostfit View Post
    Yup ! ...but I lied, got a T1204X today from Alan(Philip was on holiday) ...they got some new improved K series ballheads, wonder if they're any good.
    Shoot everything ! ...if it moves, shoot it ! if it doesn't moves, shoot it as well !

Default Re: Update - caution advised for high usage of SIRUI tripod overseas

I visited the shop yesterday and I must say I was pretty impressed by the quality of the tripod! Of coz the friendliness of the people from shop also helped

I was rather happy that the actual specs were better than the specs written on the tripod. I mean the max height was actually taller than the height written on the tripod itself (which really helps). I think I might end up buying a N-series after I get this month's salary or after AWS at latest But I'm still torn between either this Sirui or FotoPro

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast