Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this the Ultimate Budget Travel Tripod combo?

Default Re: Is this the Ultimate Budget Travel Tripod combo?

Hi Canonized

With ballhead attached, will the tripod leg be obstructed by the ballhead knob when fully folded?

How about the twist lock mechanism compared with Gitzo?

Thks
    Last edited by chalib; 2nd May 2010 at 11:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonized View Post
    I think that they do have the plate for D700 but not sure if they carry it here. Notice the holes on the two ends. They are meant for hand straps and neck straps.
    I bought the standard version that can be used on all cameras because I can use it either on the body alone or with the battery grip. Both images taken of the net and linked direct.
    Thanks for the pics. From the blogspot page, I couldn't even tell that a D700-UP2 existed. Shall check it out with the stores soon. From the pictures, Photoclam products look very well-made. If only they made L brackets too!

By the way, what plates and equipment are you using with your ballhead?
    Will you consider the clamp as good quality?

I've read reviews dissing the Acratech clamps but seem to only come across good reviews of the Photoclam. In your experience, how does the Photoclam clamps compare to others that you have tried?

Really appreciate your answering our questions on this thread.
    I'm still searching for a budget combination and am yet to be sure if these made in China/Korea products are really worth it...
    Hope you don't mind sharing more of your opinions on Sirui/Photoclam.

To: Canonized

Thanks for the review and recommendation.

I bought the package from TK, together with the ball head for an extra $80. Compared it with the Markins, the plate itself is about $80, and together with the head more than $400. If buy separately, the head will cost $100.

For an extra $80 the head seems to be a good bargain, much better than the lower end Manfrotto heads. Most important, if it does the job, the cheaper one will suffice.

If wrong, then go look at the photoclam. Can't be an expensive mistake...:

Quote Originally Posted by chalib View Post
    Hi Canonized

With ballhead attached, will the tripod leg be obstructed by the ballhead knob when fully folded?

How about the twist lock mechanism compared with Gitzo?

Thks
    Check out the link I shared earlier where there was a comparison review of the Q3 v PC33NS.

The anti rolling joints? Its identical with Gitzo. I have been using the tripod regularly and very pleased at how easy to open and lock the legs. Just 1/4 turn is sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by aspenx View Post
    Thanks for the pics. From the blogspot page, I couldn't even tell that a D700-UP2 existed. Shall check it out with the stores soon. From the pictures, Photoclam products look very well-made. If only they made L brackets too!

By the way, what plates and equipment are you using with your ballhead?
    Will you consider the clamp as good quality?

I've read reviews dissing the Acratech clamps but seem to only come across good reviews of the Photoclam. In your experience, how does the Photoclam clamps compare to others that you have tried?

Really appreciate your answering our questions on this thread.
    I'm still searching for a budget combination and am yet to be sure if these made in China/Korea products are really worth it...
    Hope you don't mind sharing more of your opinions on Sirui/Photoclam.
    If I gave any more opinions about the combo, I sound like an advert. So I think I will leave it to the new owners who just bought the tripod or head to chirp in.

Quote Originally Posted by hkhdbst View Post
    I bought the package from TK, together with the ball head for an extra $80. Compared it with the Markins, the plate itself is about $80, and together with the head more than $400. If buy separately, the head will cost $100.
    For an extra $80 the head seems to be a good bargain, much better than the lower end Manfrotto heads. Most important, if it does the job, the cheaper one will suffice.
    Congrats on your purchase. Now, help by answering some of the questions posed here!

==============================

BTW CS Forummers - I do not mean to be testy but I am seeing repetitive questions about how much and where to buy these items.

PLEASE READ THE THREAD and you will find the answer.
    I am trying hard to help people with their questions but it seems rather disappointing that the same questions get asked over and over by forummers who do not bother to read the thread.

Forummers must understand that if contributors do not feel that their efforts (like answering questions) are being read and actually absorbed, they will not bother doing it again. In the end, there is a real likelihood that no one will contribute voluntarily.

If I gave any more opinions about the combo, I sound like an advert. So I think I will leave it to the new owners who just bought the tripod or head to chirp in.
    Okie. I'll take it that you're reasonably satisfied with Photoclam then. Thanks for answering the other questions. I should seriously head down to the stores to try the stuff myself out instead of sitting around and waiting for reviews.

I don't think I've seen anyone share as much information on their purchases like you have done so in this thread. It's commendable and I agree that more people should do so too. It is however, unfortunate that so many people take this for granted and just shoot off whatever they want without actually reading the whole thread......

Okie. I'll take it that you're reasonably satisfied with Photoclam then. Thanks for answering the other questions. I should seriously head down to the stores to try the stuff myself out instead of sitting around and waiting for reviews.
    Places that carry Photo Clam stuff: K-13 (Peninsular Plaza), Gin Studios (Rochor Center) and SLR Revolution (Funan Plaza). K-13 sells the PC-33NS for S$330 INCLUDING the camera plate.

i am an undemanding person. my manfrotto 725b which comes at probably less than 1/5 the cost of the tripod mentioned here is good enough to do the exposures that you have showcased. it has also withstood a huge amount of abuse for nearly 2 years, been with me to at least 5 different countries.. taken sand in, taken seawater in, been fully submerged in reservoirs thrice.. and is still standing firm. the only thing i regret is that the head has no spirit level.

then again, different people, different strokes. i suppose quality will have to come at a cost. i am certain that the sirui is an able tripod.
    Last edited by night86mare; 5th May 2010 at 06:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by doodah View Post
    Places that carry Photo Clam stuff: K-13 (Peninsular Plaza), Gin Studios (Rochor Center) and SLR Revolution (Funan Plaza). K-13 sells the PC-33NS for S$330 INCLUDING the camera plate.
    Hi,

I didn't ask for the places nor prices, but thanks for letting everyone else know.

I did however, wanted to find out what Photoclam users think of the CLAMP compared to the usual suspects like Markins and RRS etc. I have a tripod and panhead combo in mind that doesn't come with a QR system. I think this would be a good chance to move to the Arca-Swiss system if the Photoclam clamp works well (since buying a ballhead does not justify my cost as I have the panhead already). Will you be able to shed some light on this? I'm new to the Arca-Swiss system and have read that some "Arca-Swiss compatible" clamps are not compatible with the sturdier plates from RRS. I don't have my plate yet, so I can't try it out for myself in the stores. Appreciate it if anyone with experience is able to share some insights about this.

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i am an undemanding person. my manfrotto 725b which comes at probably less than 1/5 the cost of the tripod mentioned here is good enough to do the exposures that you have showcased. it has also withstood a huge amount of abuse for nearly 2 years, been with me to at least 5 different countries.. taken sand in, taken seawater in, been fully submerged in reservoirs thrice.. and is still standing firm. the only thing i regret is that the head has no spirit level.

then again, different people, different strokes. i suppose quality will have to come at a cost. i am certain that the sirui is an able tripod.
    I changed from a tripod similar to what you mentioned above to my current tripod system a couple of years ago. My considerations are as follows:

a) When camera + macro lens is mounted, the ballhead must not twitch one bit after it is tightened. It irritates me to no end when the camera/lens sags after the tripod head is tightened.

b) Weight of tripod must be low and support capacity as much as possible. Main consideration here is hiking uphill for more than an hour.

c) Tripod should be short so I can squeeze the setup easily into my backpack during long hikes.

d) Knobs and locking systems on tripod and ballhead should be easy to tighten. My fingers get very cold and dry and may even crack up in the mountains (actually it happens all the time up there for me), so anything that is comfortable for my hands is highly appreciated.

So, I guess one chooses according to one's needs. If one does not intend to do long hikes in mountains with photography in mind, then a lower priced but sturdy tripod is good enough. And there are many choices out there.

Hi,
    I did however, wanted to find out what Photoclam users think of the CLAMP compared to the usual suspects like Markins and RRS etc. I have a tripod and panhead combo in mind that doesn't come with a QR system. I think this would be a good chance to move to the Arca-Swiss system if the Photoclam clamp works well (since buying a ballhead does not justify my cost as I have the panhead already). Will you be able to shed some light on this? I'm new to the Arca-Swiss system and have read that some "Arca-Swiss compatible" clamps are not compatible with the sturdier plates from RRS. I don't have my plate yet, so I can't try it out for myself in the stores. Appreciate it if anyone with experience is able to share some insights about this.
    I think the Arca-Swiss design is an excellent design and is very secure. So far my experience with many ballheads with Arca-Swiss style clamps has been good.

I had my 300 2.8 slipped off a Manfrotto head before so I don't trust its plate/clamp design. The Photoclam Clamp looks fine in the pictures and it should work just as well as the better brands.

Hi,

I didn't ask for the places nor prices, but thanks for letting everyone else know.

TIA
    Missed out this question earlier. Must have been distracted by the other repetitive questions! LOL...

Anyway, I had been thinking about your question and trying to make sure my answer is a considered one and one that can help.

First, the PhotoClam clamp is almost identitcal to the Markins (spirit level located at different places). I personally think it may even be better than Markins but it would be an unfair comparison because I have a Q10 and use it for my heavier set up and I have not had any problems with it. It works well and secure. On the Photoclam, I do not use my heavy lenses so as to its capability to deal with heavier loads I cannot tell at this time.

But as to its quality of materials, finish and fit, I dare say it is no lesser than an Arca Swiss original (I have seen them at Cathay and played with them too). As you correctly also mentioned, a lot has to do with the quality of the plate as well. Slippage and how secure it sits on the camera etc. How strong the metal is to prevent the camera from peeling off the head/clamp. I have the Standard QR plate from Photoclam and I found the quality - again as good as my Markins plate. What I like about it is its low profile and two loop holes on its side. Again, I must add, I have not tried using heavy lenses on the QR plate. However, if I have heavy and long lenses, I would use the plate attached to the lens collar anyway.

Hopefully there are others here with the Clam QR plate will be able to share more.

Quote Originally Posted by hkhdbst View Post

so how much u paid all together?
    Flickr
    Canon 7D | 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | 430EX II

I have been recommending the Sirui T1204 as a budget alternative to Gitzo a long time ago but was bashed by Benro and Giottos suppliers. I got mine in China. Later I recommended it to James at TK who wasn't sure that he would sell a China brand at that time. As luck would have it, he later hooked up with Sirui boss and well, the rest is history.

Quote Originally Posted by astroboy View Post
    I have been recommending the Sirui T1204 as a budget alternative to Gitzo a long time ago but was bashed by Benro and Giottos suppliers.
    How did they bash you?

I have been recommending the Sirui T1204 as a budget alternative to Gitzo a long time ago but was bashed by Benro and Giottos suppliers. I got mine in China. Later I recommended it to James at TK who wasn't sure that he would sell a China brand at that time. As luck would have it, he later hooked up with Sirui boss and well, the rest is history.
    wah... u which shop 1?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

got giottos suppliers in clubsnap meh..............

Quote Originally Posted by An drew View Post
    I think the Arca-Swiss design is an excellent design and is very secure. So far my experience with many ballheads with Arca-Swiss style clamps has been good.

I had my 300 2.8 slipped off a Manfrotto head before so I don't trust its plate/clamp design. The Photoclam Clamp looks fine in the pictures and it should work just as well as the better brands.
    Thank you for your opinion. The heaviest I'll be mounting is only a 300 f/4, but I'm kiasi.
    Good to know that the Arca-Swiss design is indeed what I should be looking at!

But as to its quality of materials, finish and fit, I dare say it is no lesser than an Arca Swiss original (I have seen them at Cathay and played with them too). As you correctly also mentioned, a lot has to do with the quality of the plate as well. Slippage and how secure it sits on the camera etc. How strong the metal is to prevent the camera from peeling off the head/clamp.

Hopefully there are others here with the Clam QR plate will be able to share more.
    Thank you for sharing your experience.

I hope the stores actually stock just the QR clamps alone. I don't think I'd be getting the Photoclam plate (should be going with the RRS L bracket), but most certainly I'd consider the clamp. I guess if the design adheres to the Arca Swiss system, it shouldn't be too bad especially since my load won't be that heavy either. I hope I'm just thinking too much... It's just that I want to "get it right" this time without going through trying out other alternatives. These things actually cost quite a bit (to me) when they are all tallied up so I want to make a better informed decision with input from others who have more experience (and hence the many questions!).

Really appreciate your patience.

It's just that I want to "get it right" this time without going through trying out other alternatives. These things actually cost quite a bit (to me) when they are all tallied up so I want to make a better informed decision with input from others who have more experience (and hence the many questions!).
    You can always bring your lens + camera to the shop for testing before you fork out the cash. I did that when I was hunting for a ballhead some years back.

Quote Originally Posted by doodah View Post
    You can always bring your lens + camera to the shop for testing before you fork out the cash. I did that when I was hunting for a ballhead some years back.
    It's a given that you bring the gear you want to mount when you are shopping for a ballhead isn't it?
    Anyways, I don't have my bracket yet. So technically, I can't test out the "synergy". :

I have a feeling that we're on a different wavelength.

TK Photo now no stock of T2205 ....
    7D . 10-22 . 17-55 . 50 1.8 . 18-200 . 70-200 2.8 II . EX580 II
    潜水高尔夫球手 Sunchaser

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast