Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this the Ultimate Budget Travel Tripod combo?

Default Re: Is this the Ultimate Budget Travel Tripod combo?

Quote Originally Posted by Daoyin View Post
    To start off, I must thank you for writing the review. I, too, have been struggling with the same problem of getting a suitable travel triopod and I wouldn't have known about the ballhead otherwise. A review without pricing indications will be incomplete as the intended readers would be better off having sufficient data to do their own cost/benefit sums.

What has happened is not a reflection on you. There is nothing in this world to say that whatever price one gets, someone else will also be entitled. Perhaps you are a very good bargainer.
    Thanks very much for the input. Much appreciated.

BTW if you are interested to find out more about PhotoClam here is a comparative review between the Q3 and the PC-33.
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...ght=photo+clam

Here is another review comparing the larger PC-44NS (which is the larger model) to the Q3.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/797485/0

An interesting quote " Ill say right away the Photo Clam looks and feels like a high-end product. Had I been sent a PC-44NS and a Markins M10, each unbranded, Id have quite honestly been hard-pressed to tell which was which." I would personally second this sentiment myself.

Originally Posted by LifeInMacro
    care to share how much is the tripod itself, w/o the ballhead?
    The T2205X was purchased at $290 at TK Photo. Truly a bargain. Get them before they run out or price increases. I also found out when I dropped by Orient that they also carry them but at a higher price.
    ================================================== ================

I called TK Photo today and was informed a 2205 standalone is $430/=. When inclusive of G20, it is $510/=.
    Hi i believe the $430 quote is for N2205 but not T2205. Just went to TK today and they quote me the same price for T2205 at $290

Quote Originally Posted by ckkent View Post
    Hi i believe the $430 quote is for N2205 but not T2205. Just went to TK today and they quote me the same price for T2205 at $290
    Thanks for the information. It is comforting to know that it had only been a mistake made, and no price increase occurred.

I don't really think a tripod with 5 section would be as stable as those with 3 or 4.

Quote Originally Posted by ckkent View Post
    Thanks very much CKKENT for this good news. Glad you were able to confirm that the price increase was a simple mistake of identity.

The N2205 specs

The T2205 specs -

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticFox View Post
    I don't really think a tripod with 5 section would be as stable as those with 3 or 4.
    I used to think that is true as well. But I learnt from another forum that such a tripod can be used with the 5th extension unextended. So it will behave like a four section tripod. Because its a 5 section, the total length (when completely retracted) is shorter and thus more portable.

Having said that though, I am quite surprised how stable it is with all the sections extended. I would invite you to go visit TK Photo and try out a comparison test between the four section GITZO GT1541 and the SIRUI T2205. I would wager you would be surprised at the chinese tripod's stability given that its so small and light.

Again, the most important aspect is proof of the tripod and head is its ability to deliver its promises. Is the travel tripod able to provide stable platform for long exposures? All my captures at the Marina Bay came out as good as the lens is able to perform. I would be happy to provide a 100% jpg with full exif attached. Will try to share a 100% crop of the image I shared earlier.
    Last edited by Canonized; 30th April 2010 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonized View Post
    Hi Raptor
    Could you let us know how much you paid for your tripod and when you bought yours? Thanks!

It looks like the early adopters got a great deal. On the other hand, there could have been a mistake on the price quote as the T1204/T1205 is actually costlier than the T2205.

Cheers
    I got it at 290 also. If i remember correctly, it was just after CNY when i bought it.
    <<To be updated>> / Vivitar S1 70-210 f3.5

thanks for the review. very pro and well written.

Here is the 100% crop of the Marina Bay capture I posted at the start. Again, its on the combo tripod and head using a 5D2 and 35L with remote release. It was out in the open in front of One Fullerton (which means that the whole set up was open to breeze or wind effect as well. Admittedly, it seems there was little or no wind that night). The EXIF file is intact.

This was taken at f20, ISO100 - 25 seconds long.

Last edited by Canonized; 30th April 2010 at 12:59 AM.

Thanks for doing this reviews

Just curious and wondering... if you have a small compact setup of tripod + ballhead that can tahan your usual camera + lens setup, how often then, would you use your standard (normal, heavier, bulkier) tripod?

I never thought of getting a travel tripod coz the general consensus or impression I get is that smaller tripods are often less stable. But having seen your shots, I begin to wonder if a smaller, lighter tripod is in order for me... and then I go on to wonder when then I would use my heavier setup - the Manfrotto 190ProB with a small Giottos ballhead.
    incywincyspider climbup the waterspout...

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    Just curious and wondering... if you have a small compact setup of tripod + ballhead that can tahan your usual camera + lens setup, how often then, would you use your standard (normal, heavier, bulkier) tripod? I never thought of getting a travel tripod coz the general consensus or impression I get is that smaller tripods are often less stable. But having seen your shots, I begin to wonder if a smaller, lighter tripod is in order for me... and then I go on to wonder when then I would use my heavier setup - the Manfrotto 190ProB with a small Giottos ballhead.

Newbie question? But I will nevertheless answer it. First let me admit to you that I have a farm load of old tripods - all different sizes. Some good some rubbish. I still like my Giottos a small but heavy tripod, two GITZOs. One CF GT2350 which I use for field work and animal photography because I use the monster 300mm f2.8. BTW I have three small tripods of varying sizes that I use for macro product photography as well. This is when there is no room to put the full size tripod on site so I use these tripods with their legs fully spread out on the table without legs extended.

The other Gitzo GT2220 is purely for studio macro work because of the cantilever arm - I use this one a lot and enjoy it although its not as stable as I like even though its big and heavy. All the other rubbish stuff are either thrown away or used for other purposes now.

The SIRUI PhotoClam set up is my holiday travel set up - for gear combo like my 5D + small zoom or small primes up to say 135L. I do not travel with my long zooms. Also I will never use my 100-400L or 300mm f2.8 on that setup. Its just silly and will not work and risk damaging the equipment.

So in short, use the right gear for the right purpose. There is absolutely no one singular tripod that can do the work for all kinds of photography. That does not exist. Its delusional to believe they do. Unless of course you are one of those sort who figure that the GT2350 is a travel tripod! (believe me, there are!)

One more thing - ITS NOT JUST THE TRIPOD.
    Its also the ball head quality (so small Giottos head is silly when you need to carry heavier loads) and proper techniques that you have to learn and practice to perfection. Get the right equipment but after that you cannot blame the equipment for bad shots! LOL....

OK - just in case I did not answer your question fully - is first to ask the question whether you use/carry your manfrotto tripod for your shoots? Many buy their tripods and never bring them along because they are too bulky and heavy then at the shoot, curse because they needed it. So if you are buying one good quality travel set up to replace your current one so that you will end up bringing it, it is better than having a rock solid one that you never use at all. Why then would you need a bigger and heavier tripod set up? When the shoot demands it. If you are outside in a windy location, if your gear is extra heavy etc. etc. So only you can answer that question.
    Last edited by Canonized; 2nd May 2010 at 01:16 AM.

Is there a lightweight video head that will fit on this tripod? I want to shoot video with a Canon 550D and am also looking for a travel tripod solution.

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    Just curious and wondering... if you have a small compact setup of tripod + ballhead that can tahan your usual camera + lens setup, how often then, would you use your standard (normal, heavier, bulkier) tripod?

I never thought of getting a travel tripod coz the general consensus or impression I get is that smaller tripods are often less stable. But having seen your shots, I begin to wonder if a smaller, lighter tripod is in order for me... and then I go on to wonder when then I would use my heavier setup - the Manfrotto 190ProB with a small Giottos ballhead.
    Even when "travelling", there may be a need for different tripods. One scenario is when your travel consists mainly of mechanised transport or you have a porter. Another is when you backpack all your gear and walk across difficult terrain in which case you may be inclined to bring along a small compact setup.

After reading Canonised's review, I bought the ballhead but mounted it on an existing Benro A150 EX. Total weight is 1.18kg. Mounted will be a Nikon D5000/90, Tokina 11-16 or Tammy 17-50mm. It is all about how much you are prepared to carry and the conditions under which you are shooting. There is no perfect tripod for travelling.

To Canonized: thanks for sharing this info. VERY useful to know!

Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    The 1204 is lightweight and hence ideal for travel. However, being lightweight, it may not be stable enough in harsh weather conditions. So there is trade-off between portability and stability.
    True, but there's a way to overcome this. Hang a suitable weight (e.g. backpack) on the hook in the center column. That should take care of the weight problem.

After reading Canonised's review, I bought the ballhead but mounted it on an existing Benro A150 EX.
    Daoyin, congrats on your new Clam.
    When you get a chance, do let me know how you found the ballhead.

Quote Originally Posted by doodah View Post
    To Canonized: thanks for sharing this info. VERY useful to know!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega23 View Post
    Thanks for doing this reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon View Post
    thanks for the review. very pro and well written.
    You are most welcome guys.

I went to Orient Photo today and bought a Sirui T-2205X tripod with Velbon FHD-51Q fluid head. Feels like a good travel solution for shooting video with my 550D.

Newbie question? But I will nevertheless answer it. First let me admit to you that I have a farm load of old tripods - all different sizes. Some good some rubbish. I still like my Giottos a small but heavy tripod, two GITZOs. One CF GT2350 which I use for field work and animal photography because I use the monster 300mm f2.8. BTW I have three small tripods of varying sizes that I use for macro product photography as well. This is when there is no room to put the full size tripod on site so I use these tripods with their legs fully spread out on the table without legs extended.

The other Gitzo GT2220 is purely for studio macro work because of the cantilever arm - I use this one a lot and enjoy it although its not as stable as I like even though its big and heavy. All the other rubbish stuff are either thrown away or used for other purposes now.

The SIRUI PhotoClam set up is my holiday travel set up - for gear combo like my 5D + small zoom or small primes up to say 135L. I do not travel with my long zooms. Also I will never use my 100-400L or 300mm f2.8 on that setup. Its just silly and will not work and risk damaging the equipment.

So in short, use the right gear for the right purpose. There is absolutely no one singular tripod that can do the work for all kinds of photography. That does not exist. Its delusional to believe they do. Unless of course you are one of those sort who figure that the GT2350 is a travel tripod! (believe me, there are!)

One more thing - ITS NOT JUST THE TRIPOD.
    Its also the ball head quality (so small Giottos head is silly when you need to carry heavier loads) and proper techniques that you have to learn and practice to perfection. Get the right equipment but after that you cannot blame the equipment for bad shots! LOL....

OK - just in case I did not answer your question fully - is first to ask the question whether you use/carry your manfrotto tripod for your shoots? Many buy their tripods and never bring them along because they are too bulky and heavy then at the shoot, curse because they needed it. So if you are buying one good quality travel set up to replace your current one so that you will end up bringing it, it is better than having a rock solid one that you never use at all. Why then would you need a bigger and heavier tripod set up? When the shoot demands it. If you are outside in a windy location, if your gear is extra heavy etc. etc. So only you can answer that question.
    Haha! After reading your explanation, I must admit I didn't really think this through. Coz personally, I don't have any constant aperture zooms... mostly primes and smallish zooms, that's why the thought of mounting a 300mm or 70-200 has never crossed my mind. Apologies for the noob question.

For me, I don't do alot of night photography or landscape photography yet, but would like to venture into that some day. So for now, I can't say I've been using my tripod alot. I will bring it out when I know I'm gonna need it, but for the most part, I don't. Perhaps that's one of the reasons why I'm considering a lighter setup. And I haven't been travelling to extra windy locations, so that's why I haven't seen or thought about the need for a heavier, sturdier tripod. =)

In short, I guess I'm just looking for what I would call, a casual tripod for the occasional night shoots and group shots and what not, for use locally.

Thanks for the enlightenment!
    incywincyspider climbup the waterspout...

Yes they are. I would recommend a PhotoClam QR plate as well. Its very well made, small and inexpensive as well. ALso you can attach your leather strap onto it.
    I don't see any custom plates for D700 on their (official?) website which seems to be a blogspot page.

Interested if the photoclam ones are comparable to the RRS/Acratech/Kirk ones, cos they are so expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by aspenx View Post
    I don't see any custom plates for D700 on their (official?) website which seems to be a blogspot page.

Interested if the photoclam ones are comparable to the RRS/Acratech/Kirk ones, cos they are so expensive!
    I think that they do have the plate for D700 but not sure if they carry it here. Notice the holes on the two ends. They are meant for hand straps and neck straps.
    I bought the standard version that can be used on all cameras because I can use it either on the body alone or with the battery grip. Both images taken of the net and linked direct.

Last edited by Canonized; 2nd May 2010 at 09:28 PM.

I'm looking for a tripod and was consideration the Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 and Velbon GEO N640 as shown in this thread. After reading this, guess I must go check out Sirui T-2205X.

Great review Canonized.

BTW, how much is the Photoclam PC-33NS or PC-36NS? Does it come with the plate or purchase separately? And which are the shop carrying them? I only know SLRR do.
    Last edited by krazyman; 2nd May 2010 at 09:40 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast