View Poll Results: Buying Illness - How sick are you?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • I buy an equipment because I really need it and my need is justifiable logically

40 71.43%
  • I buy equipment because I want to buy equipment/because I desire more stuff/because it gives me this sense of "pro" and not because I really NEED it

16 28.57%

Thread: Buying Illness - How sick are you?

Default Buying Illness - How sick are you?

Hello All,

I would just like to conduct a simple poll:

Since you do photography as a hobby or a profession, do you buy equipment because you really need it or do you buy equipment for the sake of having it?

How I would define Buying Illness (I think there is a better term for this):

A form of compulsion felt from within to acquire something EVEN IF ONE HAS NOT MONEY FOR IT, but WITHOUT being able to JUSTIFY LOGICALLY the NEED for the item. Compulsive buyer kinda thing. Of maybe the Buy Buy Buy attitude

Descriptive answers are most welcome... (I mean instead of just saying yes or no, write a para or two?)
    Last edited by rapidmax; 3rd April 2004 at 03:16 AM.

In medical terms, the condition is also known as Chronic Gadgetitis.

A reduction of Vitamin M intake may help to improve the patient's condition.

Although each episode of the illness creates a partial immunity against another outbreak, it seldom lasts long. The illness may also spring up sporadically in different forms.

Research indicate that the illness is more prevalent in men.

Quote Originally Posted by laokayu

Although each episode of the illness creates a partial immunity against another outbreak, it seldom lasts long. The illness may also spring up sporadically in different forms.

Ha ha, I'd better watch those vitamins else I might not have enough money for next sem... LOLz

Deregistered

Hmm I've always bought what I needed, ask those around me, they know me very well. And nikon council members, stay out of this thread

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Hmm I've always bought what I needed, ask those around me, they know me very well. And nikon council members, stay out of this thread
    *vomits*

Something OT, but what is the bottomline of this poll + thread?
    Those who have money to burn, then by all means buy. Then we can borrow/rent from them.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Pao
    Something OT, but what is the bottomline of this poll + thread?
    Those who have money to burn, then by all means buy. Then we can borrow/rent from them.

This is just an object of my curiosity about how important is the buying illness amongst the clubsnap community.

No one is pointing the finger to anyone who has buying illness and whatever they do with their dough is their own business. The survey is anonymous and those who don't feel like participating, it's perfectly alright.

And you are right, those who got the money, buy and then we can borrow...

(though it is not the point of the survey to know who has money)

If you ask me I would do it if I could shoot with a shoebox and a roll-up magazine as lens.

Did I hear someone say used toilet paper roll as 135mm short tele?

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    If you ask me I would do it if I could shoot with a shoebox and a roll-up magazine as lens.

Did I hear someone say used toilet paper roll as 135mm short tele?

oooooooooooooh... if we could do that... sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by laokayu

I think your research never specify the aspects of the illness.

Chronic Gadgetitis may affect men more than women, but women are more commonly afflicted by Acute Spendititis than men.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverelf

Chronic Gadgetitis may affect men more than women, but women are more commonly afflicted by Acute Spendititis than men.
    maybe shld be acute shoppingiditis ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by clive
    maybe shld be acute shoppingiditis ;-)
    Yeah man... unfortunately at the moment there is no known cure. However, those that are afflicted are known to survive this illness better if they have support from their partners, mainly in the form of extra doses of Vitamin M.

I only buy kit that is required for my work. Gadgets I can evaluate for nix anyway and frankly 99.9% aren't worth the money.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

One of my worst afflictions is my tendency to want to buy Oakley Sunglasses. Have a few of them at home already... and I dun even wear them!!

Darn, luckily I didn't buy them at RRP in Singapore. Bought them at an average of 30%-50% cheaper

I'm cured. I just saw an advert for a 1D at $3500, and decided that my 10D is more than enough for my needs.

The symptoms just erupted yesterday. Another MuVo2 and a 10.5mm appeared.