Thread: Landscape shots: MF vs AF

Default Landscape shots: MF vs AF

Hi fellow cs-ers , I have a doubt to clarify. It is regarding shooting landscape shots with a tripod, hope experienced users in this area can give me some advice.

For non-tripod work I would usually use auto focus. However I am wondering for landscapes shots on the tripod, should I use manual focus or 'wide' AF or specific point AF mode to get the optimal background/foreground focus.

Also, if MF/specific point AF is better, then where should i focus on? say for example I'm shooting sunset aiming the sea. Thanks all!

Singapore | East

Default Re: Landscape shots: MF vs AF

I leave it to MF, and focal length to infinity. That way, everything captured is sharp.

Not forgetting the Aperture, my rule of thumb is 8 and above, and depends on what you want to capture.
    Last edited by dingaroo; 25th April 2010 at 02:33 PM.
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!

rainy Singapore

I like MF.
    But I think some lenses don't have a hard stop at infinity focus. Makes it difficult.
    Exploring! :)

bukit batok

on canon camera there is A-DEP, can use that if not sure.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

i af when af can do the work. for landscapes unless somehow the af catches focus wrongly, i find af quick and easy.

as to the second query u can look up the concept of hyperfocal distance especially if ur lens supports distance scales. Else i usually place focus roughly 1/3 into the scene and shoot at smaller apertures (this is coming from a person who shoots when time for setting up a tripod can be a premium .. )

i use af.

unless i need hyperfocal distance due to extreme depth of field needed to keep everything sharp..

alternatively, i use mf when i use a nd110, because cannot use af with that filter over the lens.

AF is adequate enough for me.

wow thanks for overwhelming response.. i'm really thankful for all the input! it seems that most of the users here use AF unless under difficult scenarios.