Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this (Dell UltraSharp U2410) worth the investment?

Default Re: Is this (Dell UltraSharp U2410) worth the investment?

Quote Originally Posted by geekbrains View Post
    This really depends on your budget dude..What size are you looking at? If you're looking for a cheaper 24" yet a good performance IPS based monitor, go for this U2410. If you can fork out a little more, get the HP LP2475W or with a few more $$ go for the NEC 2490WUXi for the excellent color accuracy.

hi

tks for replying.

i just want a monitor that gives good color... i don't care about the size... even 15 inches is ok with me...

Quote Originally Posted by garagez View Post
    strange ... i used dis monitor so far so good...got it earlier dis year.
    peapilot mentioned the problem only manifest after calibration.

Quote Originally Posted by peapilot View Post
    DO NOT BUY.

I have a U2410 sitting on my desk right now and I have been in talks with Dell's customer service, which for your information is TERRIBLE. Poor follow-up, tardy replies, long holds and frequent disconnections and line-drops.

Their sales staff is very efficient though when making the purchase 3 of them chased me for my order. Unfortunately none of them were sure about the system specs. The Ultrasharp panel has a 0 dead pixel guarantee but they all told me 5 or 6.

I have gone through 3 replacements ALL of which has a pink tinting and backlight bleeding issue. All 3 replacements are the latest revisions and technical support has confirmed that this is a PRODUCT ISSUE.

From experience the monitor comes set up way too cool and most people won't notice the pink tint issue UNTIL you calibrate your monitor, then it starts to rear it's ugly head.

So I will do you the favour now. DO NOT BUY. The smaller 21" ips panel has less issues. This 24" one is a lemon.
    mine does not have such issue. I am using the older version 3 years ago model.
    It has been know that Dell customer service is top notch but i am not sure why you have experienced otherwise.

The 24" and the 30" is the top sought after monitor for gamer (lets not compare this to the high end monitor or apple).

Looking at the current offering for 24" IPS panel monitors available, the Dell U2410 is your best bet. The pink tinting issue is a shame but I am sure Dell would have fixed it by now. Backlight bleeding is all a matter of luck. Unless you are willing to pay a thousand dollars more for an Eizo or NEC... you won't find any other alternative to the Dell U2410 in terms of price/performance/after sales support.

I am using the Eye-One Display 2 to profile my screen and I am rather pleased with results. I usually keep 3 profiles. Web, home printer and photo lab. So far, I get no surprises. The downside to this monitor is well documented on this site: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2410.htm

To get a proper calibration result, do not use any other mode other than the Standard Preset mode.

Hope that helps.

I just came across one of the best posts on a forum on U2410 queries. I salute PAK for his excellent contribution!

http://en.community.dell.com/support.../19658858.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
    Hi there,
    I'm just curious to know is this monitor good for photo editing & doing 3D stuff? Do advise & TIA.
    I'm happy using the Dell ST2410 for my photo and DI work. After working with this monitor and my HP B8850 and epson 9800 printers for a while, I am able to gauge the 'correct tone and colour I want'.

Colour management workflow require a lot of skill plus it does not start an end with the monitor. In fact it is a costly investment that will not guarantee 100% result for most home users.
    Last edited by jopel; 30th April 2010 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by peapilot View Post
    DO NOT BUY.

I have a U2410 sitting on my desk right now and I have been in talks with Dell's customer service, which for your information is TERRIBLE. Poor follow-up, tardy replies, long holds and frequent disconnections and line-drops.

Their sales staff is very efficient though when making the purchase 3 of them chased me for my order. Unfortunately none of them were sure about the system specs. The Ultrasharp panel has a 0 dead pixel guarantee but they all told me 5 or 6.

I have gone through 3 replacements ALL of which has a pink tinting and backlight bleeding issue. All 3 replacements are the latest revisions and technical support has confirmed that this is a PRODUCT ISSUE.

From experience the monitor comes set up way too cool and most people won't notice the pink tint issue UNTIL you calibrate your monitor, then it starts to rear it's ugly head.

So I will do you the favour now. DO NOT BUY. The smaller 21" ips panel has less issues. This 24" one is a lemon.
    It just means that the U2410 needs to be calibrated to be at its best. How many monitors do not need to be calibrated in the first place. And for a user who is particular enough to want to get the most accurate colours out of his monitors, surely calibration is a must in the first place.

I have a U2410 by the way and it's true that if you compare the tint before and after calibration, there is a pink tint in the 'before' but is not noticeable if you had not calibrated it. If people think that they can get a calibration-free-and-yet-colour-accurate monitor for less than <$1,000, please get real !

I just came across one of the best posts on a forum on U2410 queries. I salute PAK for his excellent contribution!

The Dell engineers seems to be saying that using the sRGB or AdobeRGB profile for the monitor is sufficient as the delta is < 5.

But another guy mentioned that doing so will produce wrong colors..

confused....

anyway Dell didn't reply since March... what a shame...

pretty good monitor for it's money. can't go wrong too

however i would personally recommend a Dell U2711 (27" H-IPS). Have a Dell 3008WFP (30" S-IPS) and 2007WFP (20" S-IPS) alongside

colour wise very close to a calibrated monitor out of the box which is a good plus. a detailed colour test report of the monitor is also provided for every U2711.

and the extra pixels does help and is a joy to work with. 24" is 2.3mp, 27" is 3.6mp and 30" is 4mp

I've associates giving good feedback for this monitor.

properly calibrated, it yields an average dE of >0.5 validated.
    sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by wishxtreme View Post
    mine does not have such issue. I am using the older version 3 years ago model.
    It has been know that Dell customer service is top notch but i am not sure why you have experienced otherwise.

The 24" and the 30" is the top sought after monitor for gamer (lets not compare this to the high end monitor or apple).

Sought after by gamers? Are you sure? True gamers don't bother about how nice the contrast or colour reproduction is. IPS panels are not made for gaming at all. The response time is just too slow. If you had a chance to see the output btw a fast response TN vs a IPS side by side, you'll realise that there is a minor lag, not significant, but in fast paced games like UT etc. It may just make that bit of difference.

actually his answer's a bit... ummhmm...

well the long and short of it is this:

- the U2410 is capable of pretty good colour when properly profiled...
    - the deltaE of <5 that the monitor comes as is not really as great as Dell would have you believe, and when it is properly profiled, it should be able to reach deltaE of <0.5... and yes, this makes a difference...
    - using the new Dell ICC profile, as suggested by the forum post quoted above, is hardly gonna make for a uniformly great experience as it is still a generic monitor profile for the U2410 and not a specifically obtained, user-generated ICC profile...

I've experimented with the monitor some, and would suggest for people who have a pinkish tone even after profiling to reduce the contrast of the monitor...

as for TN monitors, well, my ~5 yr old TN monitor is still capable of a <0.5 deltaE... not all TN monitors are built the same... pls don't ask me which TN monitors available now can do likewise cause frankly I've not kept up with what's available...
    Last edited by theRBK; 3rd May 2010 at 03:18 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12